Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Here's the hard kicker truth though,
seeing what this planet is becoming & morphing into, old age may be the lottery ticket out the madness.
An even weirder kicker is we all have the potential to live to at least 100 years old. So if you are 65 now in 2021 just imagine 2056.

You'll be able to order a replacement eyeball, kidney or sphincter on Amazon.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-01-2021, 05:21 PM

I am 49, almost 50 and weird things are starting to happen.

On Monday I drove home 1.5 hrs from work and didn’t use the cruise because of traffic in front not keeping a steady speed.

Started getting a right leg ache from pushing gas pedal, which has not happened before that I can recall, and next morning Im walking like a zombie..anytime I need to sit or stand up right leg/thigh (muscle??) kills me, incredibly annoying.

If the is what 50 is like I cant wait to see what 60 will bring.. 👎
Old 12-01-2021, 05:23 PM
Banned

My Girlfriend when I was 21

My Girlfriend at 61

Old 12-01-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Trying to make the wife clear the snow would be far more hazardous to my health than actually doing it myself No No No wifey doesn't do snow removal
Trouble for me is by the time I get all dressed in warm clothes to shovel
I have to get them back off to go to the bathroom.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
I am 49, almost 50 and weird things are starting to happen.

On Monday I drove home 1.5 hrs from work and didn’t use the cruise because of traffic in front not keeping a steady speed.

Started getting a right leg ache from pushing gas pedal, which has not happened before that I can recall, and next morning Im walking like a zombie..anytime I need to sit or stand up right leg/thigh (muscle??) kills me, incredibly annoying.

If the is what 50 is like I cant wait to see what 60 will bring.. 👎
Lol. I’m at the same age.
I had to dig a trench and went at it with bravado of a 20 year old but didn’t stop till it was done, just worked thru the pain, like I used to.
Next day, my body/back hit me back.

Ever since then I do stretches and exercises in the morning. What a difference that 15 minutes make. Now it’s like brushing my teeth, just something to do.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:36 PM

I'm 54 and not sure what the mid 60's or even 70's will look like for me.
I played and worked hard early on and boy has it caught. 12 major car/truck accidents, had a wall and also a double girder fall on me. May regret making this list.
-3 left knee operations, one was ACL, it has loosened up but doc won't do nothing.
-Right ankle operation, make sure your gun is pointed away when you uncock the hammer.
-Lift something the wrong way, left hip goes out 10mm, off to see the chiro.
-Left shoulder bursitis. Cortisone shots help.
-Left shoulder rotator cuff is starting to give me issues, like a lot of pain,
-Acid reflux, most days taking Prevacid. No more fatty foods and chocolate after 6pm. ☹️
-Left pinky and hand has Dupreytens, won't straighten out the fingers, German ancestors are the cause for this one.
-Got Covid in Sept. now have blood clots in my lungs, taking blood thinners and see the doc in Jan again. If I wasn't double vaxed I would of been one of those ICU stats or worse.
But this does not stop me, never missed a day of work with the Covid, just slows me down quite a bit.
Took Dad out for his Muley buck in Sask for 3 days, found he just wanted my company and not interested in any of the bucks we found, he is 77 and had a heart attack 2yrs ago, he still keeps going, sure I hope I can make it to then.
Cheers
WDF
Old 12-03-2021, 02:56 PM

Omg. So thought I'd get more involved with kids interests and do more with them. Well my 14 year old loves skateboarding. And I loved it as a young man, was pretty good too. Built a halfpipe in our back yard. But with winter we found an indoor place to ride. 2hrs and a few falls.... today I'm hurting so bad. Should likely see a Dr. But with covid, and rib injury.... and the fact they will just call me an idiot for skateboarding at 44 years old. Ouch.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:34 PM

I turned 80 last week and after reading all these woes I feel on top of the world. Dog walks daily and WT in freezer.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:35 PM

Lol. Yep.
Skateboards and hoverboards are a curse for gen X’ers.
I refuse to go on either now after epic fails on both.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
I turned 80 last week and after reading all these woes I feel on top of the world. Dog walks daily and WT in freezer.
AWESOME!!!!
Old 12-03-2021, 05:15 PM

A few weeks ago I was showing the neighbour kids how to do flips on their trampoline. They really liked it on the third flip when I flew off and landed on the ground on my back. Didn't hurt much at the time, but feeling it now, including shin splints from jumping! Turned 60 at the beginning of September. Might have to slow down.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:26 PM

You know, this hurts, that hurts, I broke this and that.

I drive by the cemetary and know almost as many in there as I do in town.

Edit; life is still good.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
A few weeks ago I was showing the neighbour kids how to do flips on their trampoline. They really liked it on the third flip when I flew off and landed on the ground on my back. Didn't hurt much at the time, but feeling it now, including shin splints from jumping! Turned 60 at the beginning of September. Might have to slow down.
LOL Man that is funny!
Old 12-03-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
66 turns out to be a bad number Cracked rib, broken collarbone and two skiers thumbs this year. evil ebike spectacular crash/slide down a mountain. .
My 73 year old Dad tried to bunny hop a log at 58k this year on his e-bike. I'm stunned he's not dead. He broke his collar bone and some ribs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Lol. Yep.
Skateboards and hoverboards are a curse for gen X’ers.
I refuse to go on either now after epic fails on both.
My wife, my boy and myself all got Heelys this year I had and good wipe out going down a hill... my boy said Daddy, its to steep and I responded with, come on boy I got this.
It was six months ago and my elbow still aches when I touch it on things.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:50 PM

But you can now tell your grandkids "pull my finger"

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 12-03-2021, 07:20 PM

A couple of years ago I was BS'ing with some other old dudes at the dock before heading out to find some trout. The conversation was all about ailments and remedies instead of tackle and fly selections!
Old 12-03-2021, 09:30 PM

So out of the commenters here on this thread here is a question I have.

How many of you do any sort of weight training, or had done weight training into your later years?

If you did but stopped, why?

If you never did would you do it now if it meant a lot of these woes and pains could be prevented or at the very least lessened?

Not selling, more so inquiring mind is all.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:03 PM

I am 59 years old. Lucky for me my mind is intact. Knees and hips are aching reminders of my past. My liver has seen its best days, filtered alot of alcohol, started smoking weed when I was 13 and lucky no side effects from that...lol. The 70s and 80s were so fun. Have lower back pain from working like a mule, anyways what was I taking about.....
Old 12-03-2021, 10:13 PM

55 here, eyes have gone poop, aching muscles, need to have a nap when I get home from work, grunting when I get off the couch, taking heart pills and all this in the last few years.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:40 PM

Worked for the same employer for 38 years, retired at 55 with a decent pension & enjoying life in a small town.

Just turned 66, keep very active, lots of hobbies & volunteer in community, work out/walk 12 miles a week on golf course & don't take any R/X, no broken bones & never had stitches, my Doc still can't believe that.

As a result of a rear ender car crash back in the 80's, my only issue is lower back and now some arthritis in my right hand. The stem cell procedure & PRP treatments help manage the pain. Now looking forward to spending 3.5 months hiding from winter in Palm Springs in January.

I'm counting my blessings reading the various aches & pains others are experiencing.

D.

Old 12-04-2021, 03:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
So out of the commenters here on this thread here is a question I have.

How many of you do any sort of weight training, or had done weight training into your later years?

If you did but stopped, why?

If you never did would you do it now if it meant a lot of these woes and pains could be prevented or at the very least lessened?

Not selling, more so inquiring mind is all.
Because I played a tough position in football and was a bouncer when I was very young I did a lot of heavyweights. In fact, I was in the gym several hours a day until I got very big and strong. As an example, I was doing Incline Flyes with 120 lbs dumbells - sets of ten and squatting 500lbs, etc.

The injuries that caused my body, I am paying for now, that's for sure. I don't do weights anymore, but I do focus on Cardio and have a Bowflex BXT116 as well as calisthenics. If I had it to do all over again, I would not do weights.

If you know who Herschel Walker is, he is in amazing shape even today @ 59 years old and he never did weights. He did and still does 1500 pushups and thousands of situps every day. This I have learned is the best way to go for overall great health and physical fitness, without stressing your body out or injuring yourself.

So now I have taken a page from his book and focus on Calisthenics and Cardio and practice intermittent fasting, which is a great way to stay in shape and to get you ready for any type of hunting adventure as you age IMO

Below is a picture of Herschel when he was in his 40's

Cheers N40

Last edited by North40Rules; 12-04-2021 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:19 AM

If you have a family history of heart attacks not a bad idea to have a couple plain uncoated aspirin in a little pill bottle in your shirt pocket . If you have a heart attack you pop two and chew them before you swallow . Thins the blood just enough to make the heart work easier , can save your life as you make your way to the hospital.

~~~

To contribute to the D'oh , a few days ago I slipped off a wet log , got up seemed ok and continued on with my day then when got home I bent to pick up a blanket off the couch and WHAM , muscles seized from my back across the top of the hip , hip flexor they call it . Could not move for 20 seconds trying to figure out what might be a good next move . Probably will be healed up well enough to do it all over again in a month or two
Old 12-04-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
Because I played a tough position in football and was a bouncer when I was very young I did a lot of heavyweights. In fact, I was in the gym several hours a day until I got very big and strong. As an example, I was doing Incline Flyes with 120 lbs dumbells - sets of ten and squatting 500lbs, etc.

The injuries that caused my body, I am paying for now, that's for sure. I don't do weights anymore, but I do focus on Cardio and have a Bowflex BXT116 as well as calisthenics. If I had it to do all over again, I would not do weights.

If you know who Herschel Walker is, he is in amazing shape even today @ 59 years old and he never did weights. He did and still does 1500 pushups and thousands of situps every day. This I have learned is the best way to go for overall great health and physical fitness, without stressing your body out or injuring yourself.

So now I have taken a page from his book and focus on Calisthenics and Cardio and practice intermittent fasting, which is a great way to stay in shape and to get you ready for any type of hunting adventure as you age IMO

Cheers N40

Lots of studies out there showing weight training even 3 days a week is extremely beneficial as we age. I know it doesn't mean hitting deadlift PR's but incorporating moderate weights would be huge. I do agree with the body weight stuff being beneficial as well. If you cant move your own bodyweight on simple movements you are in for a lot of trouble. My grandfathers 3rd or 4th wife was heavier, not able bodied, never did any sort of working out but she could get around a house, couldnt get off the toilet which is ultimately why she needed a home after he passed away. I just hope to remain in good enough shape to stay out of homes. I have a long ways to go. This is just something I think of as I am in way better shape at 41 than I ever was in my 20's. I try to get my folks(64 and 64) doing something but they just dont seem to see the point.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:49 PM

Default Perspective

I promised myself I would never say "getting old sucks".

Watching my younger sister as her body got ravaged by cancer that ultimately took her life at a young 44 years of age changed my perspective on aging and the aches and pains and other ailments that go with it.

I was watching the movie Jumanji The Next Level with my young family shortly after my sisters death. I found myself sobbing near the end when the cranky elderly Danny DeVito (sorry I don't remember his characters' name) said after a personal revelation, something to the effect of "getting old doesn't suck, it's a blessing". That got to me, big time. So true.

It was a lifelong reminder to me that perspective matters. After all, tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us. Neither is getting old.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post

Cheers N40

I met him, when we worked at ChippenDales
Old 12-06-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
So he was a furniture maker too?
Old 12-06-2021, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
lol

He is running for Senator of Georgia now, maybe he will dance for a few male liberals in the senate once elected. I am sure Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper would enjoy it immensely.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
and the fact they will just call me an idiot for skateboarding at 44 years old. Ouch.
At least you know how! I never had one as a kid.

I started farting around with the kids' longboards at 50, hoping to keep up with the kids... Nope, can't keep up.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
I'm 54 and not sure what the mid 60's or even 70's will look like for me.
I played and worked hard early on and boy has it caught. 12 major car/truck accidents, had a wall and also a double girder fall on me. May regret making this list.
-3 left knee operations, one was ACL, it has loosened up but doc won't do nothing.
-Right ankle operation, make sure your gun is pointed away when you uncock the hammer.

-Lift something the wrong way, left hip goes out 10mm, off to see the chiro.
-Left shoulder bursitis. Cortisone shots help.
-Left shoulder rotator cuff is starting to give me issues, like a lot of pain,
-Acid reflux, most days taking Prevacid. No more fatty foods and chocolate after 6pm. ☹️
-Left pinky and hand has Dupreytens, won't straighten out the fingers, German ancestors are the cause for this one.
-Got Covid in Sept. now have blood clots in my lungs, taking blood thinners and see the doc in Jan again. If I wasn't double vaxed I would of been one of those ICU stats or worse.
But this does not stop me, never missed a day of work with the Covid, just slows me down quite a bit.
Took Dad out for his Muley buck in Sask for 3 days, found he just wanted my company and not interested in any of the bucks we found, he is 77 and had a heart attack 2yrs ago, he still keeps going, sure I hope I can make it to then.
Cheers
WDF

Do your close friends call you Lucky?

BW
Old 12-06-2021, 11:13 AM

I realized what the joys of getting old meant when I turned 30 and realized I don’t bounce back from injuries as easy. I guess you can say I took that as a warning to slow down a wee bit and not be so careless and plan my moves a bit better. Que the adage work smarter not harder! (Yes I know 30/37 not old)