Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 11:05 PM

Default Snowblowers. Which one and used or new

I’m totally not knowledgeable on snow blowers. I’m thinking it’s time to get one.

Purpose to clear a two car garage driveway… short sidewalk… maybe some street for parking a car.

Thinking value added.

So maybe 24 inch versus 28 inch? Two stage gas for more power?

Honda looks price.

Toro and Honda seem priced high… but good ratings.

Troybilt seem cheaper yet good rating.

Then other brands I’ve never heard of. Powersmart. Cub Cadet. Generac

Yard machines seem for sale used. MTD.

Other brands. Husqvarna, Yard works. Briggs and Stratton. Craftman. Ariana.

Do machine break down frequently so used is a bad deal?

I’m lost. Maybe some find AOF folks have some experience?

Thanks for all advice.

Sun.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-02-2021, 12:36 AM

I run 8 Toro's

721E

can be purchased at Home Depot

you won't go wrong
Old 12-02-2021, 12:49 AM

I've been using an Ariens snow blower for the last 12 years. Other than changing the oil I've done zero maintenance on it and it fires up right away every winter. One thing to remember is to make sure it will fit through your garage door or your gate in the fence. I didn't even think of it when buying it and it just barely fits through the man door on the garage. If it ever dies, I think I'll replace it with a cordless electric model.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:23 AM

I went with a snow thrower[Honda 6 21].Had it for 20 years.Does my lot & neighbors for over 20 years Goes right to the sidewalk .Most 2 stage blowers rarely do this Replaced the rubber paddles 1 time.Starts 1st pull,in a non heated garage...
Old 12-02-2021, 06:19 AM

For light snow a single stage thrower will do, for heavy or deep snow, or hard drifts, a multi stage is far superior. Two years ago , both of my neighbors were cursing their little Honda throwers, when we had a couple of big dumps, but my 28" two stage had no problem at all. My 28" has the 305cc engine, and it has plenty of torque or those hard drifts. Mine is a Craftsman, about 10 years old, and hasn't given me any problems over the years. We have a Craftsman at the range which is also trouble free, but the Husqvarna at the range can be difficult to start, especially if it hasn't been run in a while.Whatever you get, use non ethanol premium, and you will have far less problems starting it after it sits unused for a while.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-02-2021 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:54 AM

I'd look for a used one I bought a 8 year old 10HP Craftsman 24" in pristine condition for $200 from a couple Ontario bound middle of summer they bought it new only used a handful of times.

Snow is so unpredictable in my area
In the last 10 years the blower only gets used a couple times a winter, used it once last year unlike the winters of 96-98 I blew snow to get out of driveway and to get back in after work for a month.

Back in the 80's I bought used blower from a couple they told me the black box was a block heater just plug it in for an hour for easy starts.

I told them that was the electric start, I plugged it in pushed the button they both jumped they had been pull started it.

Last edited by bat119; 12-02-2021 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I'd look for a used one I bought a 8 year old 10HP Craftsman 24" in pristine condition for $200 from a couple Ontario bound middle of summer they bought it new only used a handful of times.

Snow is so unpredictable in my area
In the last 10 years the blower only gets used a couple times a winter, used it once last year unlike the winters of 96-98 I blew snow to get out of driveway and to get back in after work for a month.

Back in the 80's I bought used blower from a couple they told me the black box was a block heater just plug it in for an hour for easy starts.

I told them that was the electric start, I plugged it in pushed the button they both jumped they had been pull started it.

There's a little abbreviation that some people should live by, RTFM! (Read the effin manual!) Or even skimming it gives valuable information
Old 12-02-2021, 07:24 AM

I clear a 2.5 car driveway, walkway and sidewalk. I picked up a single stage Honda with the electric start. It's fantastic. Ran about $1100 out the door. Pricey, but it's Honda. I've never had any issues with Honda power equipment.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brankon View Post
There's a little abbreviation that some people should live by, RTFM! (Read the effin manual!) Or even skimming it gives valuable information
That is usually the first thing that goes in the garbage. And now some vehicles don't even come with a manual, I looked for mine for my new truck, only to find out that there is no manual.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:42 AM

I have a Husqvarna ST 227....very happy with it. Starts easily every year and does the job. Admittedly, it doesn't get used all that much every year....bought it new from CT a few years ago.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:43 AM

I'd never go new or even pay more than $400 tops on any snowblower, if it was me in your position,
I would be all over these..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/e...wer/1596653069

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/e...age/1596517969
Old 12-02-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I'd never go new or even pay more than $400 tops on any snowblower, if it was me in your position,

There are some great bargains if you look around, as long as they start and run well, you can't go wrong at those prices. Just drain the old gas, add new gas, and change the oil to be safe, and you can get a lot of years out of them.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:58 AM

Cub Cadet 27”er 2-stage. 6 years old has been fine no issues. Doesn’t get much of a work out around these parts to be honest. Got a smoking deal on it new was on sale plus lowes had $150 cash back for a store grand opening if you spent over $750. Got it for $750 all-in.

No matter what you get watch out for the type of fuel you put in it. Avoid anything with Ethanol in it.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:34 AM

I guess new or used is your first decision. Obviously some lightly used used machines out there for a good price. Just looking them over should tell you if they’ve been abused or not. Some paint chipping up the shoot and on auger is to be expected but if it looks like it’s been sandblasted I’d avoid it. As for brands I am partial to Ariens. Have a 24” deluxe and it is fantastic. Have friends who have the husqvarna and love them and others with craftsman that have no complaints. My father had a 28” White and that machine is probably 20 years old and still working like a boss! The thing about going with a big name brand is you’ll have an easier time finding replacement parts should you ever need them. Having said that though they aren’t an Italian super car so overall parts shouldn’t be hard to find. Whatever you do make sure you get a few spare sheer pins for the auger. I usually hit a chunk of ice and pop one once a year. Works as designed and protects the motor.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:49 AM

For residential use, especially in Calgary, most any common make will be just fine. They don't get enough use to wear much out. You have far more trouble from them sitting and guys not running the carb dry than you ever do stuff breaking. I currently have a 30 year old Craftsman I got from my Dad in 1997. Still works fine. The Toro I had before it was great to, sold it cause I didn't want to move it. Had a tracked JD when living in GP. Good blower but a real pain in the butt handling wise.

Two tips, if you get a 2 stage gas, make sure it has easy turn, as in brakes one tire, to turn. Manhandling larger machines is not fun, especially on a side slope. Also make sure it has an easy to engage reverse. You will be surprised how often you need to back up and dragging them back is no fun.

If you can find a used one that is in real good shape, that is the way to go, especially if you are buying it in Calgary. Even 10 year old blowers will have very little hours on them. I lived in Calgary for 8 years, my blower got used maybe 2-3 hours a winter.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:11 AM

Best part of winter is shoveling snow with the pup. She loves to grab the shovel
snowblower would end very badly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ts.jpg (35.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by omega50; 12-02-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:15 AM

Run an Ariens at home. Great machine. Always starts on 2nd pull.
Have a tracked Honda at the shop. Very powder full, but with the tracks you can't really move it unless its running. It also goes through shear pins like me at moms candy bowl. We buy them by the bag!
Old 12-02-2021, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
I run 8 Toro's

721E

you won't go wrong
This.
You can load it in your truck by yourself, no ramps needed.
Make sure you use premium fuel.
And clean the air filter regularly.😉
Old 12-02-2021, 10:02 AM

Have you considered a backpack blower? Ever since I got my Stihl, that's all I use. If the snow is really wet and heavy then I use a normal snowblower but that's really just a few times a year. It wasn't worth the hassle to keep and maintain the old two stage anymore.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:13 AM

I have a craftsman 1150 - 27 - 2 stage and it will throw snow 50' if I leave the discharge chute up at a good angle and no worries when it gets deep, the last storm we had here a couple weeks ago there were 2' drifts across the sidewalk and driveway no problems.

I have tire chains on it so if I go slow in 1st gear it will chug it's way right through most near anything. It's 250cc so about 16 HP electric start so has lots of power, I bought it at Rona about 4 years ago when my 25 year old John Deer crapped out, they were on sale in the spring for 50% off and it was $549 out the door tax in.

By the way if there is someone that's into old john deer stuff for nostalgia or your a back yard mechanic that wants to tinker with it you can have my old snow blower just for coming to pick it up.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
I run 8 Toro's

721E

you won't go wrong
Good ratings on them. I wonder if they go on sale before or after the next big snow fall.

In the price range.

Thanks for the tip.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-02-2021, 10:21 AM

Ariens are the ones that many commercial guys use. There were some good deals on kijiji recently.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post

Dam. Wish those were closer to Calgary. I would jump on one. No deals like that here.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedmon View Post
Have you considered a backpack blower? Ever since I got my Stihl, that's all I use. If the snow is really wet and heavy then I use a normal snowblower but that's really just a few times a year. It wasn't worth the hassle to keep and maintain the old two stage anymore.
I have a Stihl leaf blower. Use it for the light snow. Doesn’t blow wet.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:47 AM

Also run an Ariens at home! No problems at all!
Old 12-02-2021, 10:54 AM

DO NOT buy on older Craftsman from the Sears days. Despite having one and it working good, parts are getting really hard to come by. I don't know if the Lowes, who bought the Craftsman brand, Craftsmans are better for parts, I would assume they are.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:58 AM

Ariens makes a good blower.

Honda does too but they are $$ and out of mosts budgets.

I do also run a Honda single stage? 720 and it’s great for residential snow.

If you like to blow deep snow, hard snow, or cut an edge in a bank or clean up along a curb. You need a 2 stage.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:00 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hire a young teenager to do the shoveling, teaches them responsibility etc and gives them some pocket change too!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-02-2021, 12:09 PM

Me and my teen age brother do lawn mowing and snow removal in our neighborhood and we do about 15 lawns a week and cover 10 driveways every month under contracts. We use a Ariens professional 21 with nothing but good things to say about it. We also recently bought a Stihl BR 800 C-E backpack blower. Just did about 8 driveways this morning with light snow and it works great. Haven’t tested it out on anything major because we just got it this year. It’s
Stihls most powerful blower and is supposed to move a lot of snow. Very slick pull start and runs great. If I were just doing my own driveway I would just use the backpack blower and maybe an older 2 stage for a foot of snow. However I love the single stage as they do a good job cleaning tight to the driveway as they use rubber paddles.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:28 PM

I run Ariens for several years now no problems at all just use gas stabelizer when storing, its electric or pull start,i took it out yesterday after being stored all summer,started first pull.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.