Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 05:01 PM

This is the nicest little unit I have used. I had a 24hp Massey with a soft cab that actually threw snow further, but this one is better all round. Better heater, visibility, comfort, power with 34hp and uses very little fuel. The back blade is excellent as well.

JD 2032r

Found the little massey pic- the day I brought it home 3 years ago. It was a 2012, only had 64 hours on it. All I added was a 2nd heater and rear blade. Used it for a year and sold it because the only implement it had was the blower, where the JD I already have had front end loader, mower, tiller, chipper. I called the Massey the Mattel, because it just seemed to be a cheaply made little thing. I remember many times having to open both doors and hang my feet up because my legs were cramping up, it was tight in there.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 12-05-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:45 PM

Default Troybilt

My new Troybilt is way better than my old Briggs & Stratton. Whatever you do be sure to buy a 'blower with power steering or, I promise you, you will hate it. Some things are worth spending more money on.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:24 PM

Yes I have owned a Honda 724 track with auto stick control for the chute. I have owned this unit for over 5yrs have replaced the switch that controls the chute (2) times at $125.00 each time for the switch to install it by Honda would be another $135.00. I have also replaced the shear pins on a regular basis and am only pushing snow go figure. I would not recommend buying this unit at a cost today over $4000.00.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:27 PM

Snowblower question
I store mine outside in an unheated shack does anybody have some sort of block heater to warm it up for those -30 starts?
Old 12-16-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Snowblower question
I store mine outside in an unheated shack does anybody have some sort of block heater to warm it up for those -30 starts?
You can get stick on oil pan heaters at a number of places like Peavey mart, UFA, and some auto stores.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:36 PM

Still waiting for a big snow however I did pile up a row of snow to at least run the snowblower over something.

Started first pull. That was great considering it was -20 in the garage.

I realized something that I hadn’t thought of when selecting a snow blower.

How far is too far to throw snow.

These days there isn’t always a lot of space between driveways. One side I have a long throw. Other side not as much.

Fortunately at the shortest throw I can get it to just fall short of the closer neighbour’s driveway.

This beast has no trouble throwing snow
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-18-2021, 01:39 PM

I gave my snow blower away this summer. I had not used it in years. At my old place, with 94' of driveway it was a lifesaver. My new place, not so much.

For my city lot, double garage driveway and walks it seems more work to mess around with a snow blower compared to shovelings the walks and driveway.

Either way, if you don't have alot of snow to blow, I'd say a decent single stage unit is probably going to be just fine. No need for a massive 2 stage unit that doesn't get the walks and drives 100% clean down to pavement.

The rubber paddles on most single stage units that get right down to clean pavement, and the less space they take up is a big positive.

I had a Toro and maybe it was just a lemon - but it was work to get it started - was sweating into a froth by the time I got the unit started and by that time smoked out the garage, my jacket and the neighbors. Way less work to shovel

I am a huge fan of Honda power equipment for reliability although the prices are much higher compared to brands using the Briggs/Stratton engines.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I gave my snow blower away this summer. I had not used it in years. At my old place, with 94' of driveway it was a lifesaver. My new place, not so much.

For my city lot, double garage driveway and walks it seems more work to mess around with a snow blower compared to shovelings the walks and driveway.

Either way, if you don't have alot of snow to blow, I'd say a decent single stage unit is probably going to be just fine. No need for a massive 2 stage unit that doesn't get the walks and drives 100% clean down to pavement.

The rubber paddles on most single stage units that get right down to clean pavement, and the less space they take up is a big positive.

I had a Toro and maybe it was just a lemon - but it was work to get it started - was sweating into a froth by the time I got the unit started and by that time smoked out the garage, my jacket and the neighbors. Way less work to shovel

I am a huge fan of Honda power equipment for reliability although the prices are much higher compared to brands using the Briggs/Stratton engines.
Neighbour’s electric blower get no attention. A great loud two stage brings in all the chicks.

A shovel is no chick magnet.

My fiends 66 year old wife came over and she was blowing snow. Lots of fun. For the one day a year I’ll need it… it’s worth it! 😉

In all seriousness.. the smaller one is really all you need in the city.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-19-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Neighbour’s electric blower get no attention. A great loud two stage brings in all the chicks.

My fiends 66 year old wife came over and she was blowing snow. Lots of fun. For the one day a year I’ll need it… it’s worth it! 😉

Lol that’s funny! Never thought about sexiness of running one but now I can understand why my wife is standing by the window naked looking at me….
Old 12-19-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Ah ....... that's where you are mistaken, a shovel CAN be a chick magnet - squeeze into the speedos, a nice coating of baby oil and and out in the driveway with a shovel. I GUARANTEE you that people will have their eyes glued on you. Like magnets.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Ah ....... that's where you are mistaken, a shovel CAN be a chick magnet - squeeze into the speedos, a nice coating of baby oil and and out in the driveway with a shovel. I GUARANTEE you that people will have their eyes glued on you. Like magnets.
If you can get into a speedo, slick yourself up in ANY liquid and shovel a driveway today … and still “impress the ladies”. You are a bigger man than I.

-20… Nope. I can’t impress. You win.