Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 01:07 PM

Default Shooter's parents charged.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8423367/e...hool-shooting/
Old 12-03-2021, 02:00 PM

And now on the run...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/jennif...ting-1.6272530
Old 12-03-2021, 02:55 PM

Ethan Crumbley, 15, emerged from a bathroom with a gun, shooting students in the hallway, investigators said. He’s charged as an adult with murder, terrorism and other crimes.

Interesting that he is charged as an adult.

Recently there were under-18s looking to be enfranchised and filing a court challenge to gain the right to vote.

For the record, I believe that if they give under 18s the right to vote then they should amend the Young Offender's Act to be lowered to the same age.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:49 AM
Banned

Default Now arrested in Detroit

It's about time that parents of these troubled youths are called on to explain their child rearing skills and accept their responsibility for these tragedies. There has been several hundred schools involved in student shootings since Sandy Hook NJ in spite of the promises by the 'authorities' to fix the problem and no parents indicted until now.

Maybe they could share a cell in a far away prison forever.

Free
Old 12-04-2021, 08:11 AM

It's going to be hard for them to justify keeping the pistol in a drawer beside the bed. Might not be criminal but the civil suits are going to make a field day of the negligence.

On the criminal side, I find it hard to connect the dots unless there is more to this than the prosecutor is saying. Unsafe storage does not equal involuntary manslaughter in a state that has no safe storage law.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
It's going to be hard for them to justify keeping the pistol in a drawer beside the bed. Might not be criminal but the civil suits are going to make a field day of the negligence.

On the criminal side, I find it hard to connect the dots unless there is more to this than the prosecutor is saying. Unsafe storage does not equal involuntary manslaughter in a state that has no safe storage law.
"Your Christmas present " , Mother to son. You'll have to se the complete chain of events that led to the charge.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-04-2021, 10:24 AM

Parents were caught fleeing after withdrawing $4000 out of their account. They knew they were guilty, judge set bale at $500K each.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:28 PM

I am mostly envious of US gun laws, the lack of safe storage is one that has me scratching my head though.

I wonder how this will play out? The fact that there is no safe storage laws is the key. If a gun is not required to be secured, how can the owner be liable when the gun is taken?
Old 12-04-2021, 12:39 PM

This is long overdue. And surprised it took this long. I am so sick of hearing that these troubled kids are raised in such toxic environments and the parents are somehow absolved of all wrong doing. In my view. sure the kid is ultimately responsible for what happened. But if your kids is out of control and you have not done everything in your power to get your kid back in line, YOU as the parent are accountable. From what the mom texted her son about being caught looking for ammunition and joking about just trying to not get caught is pretty much all you need to know. Garbage parenting. I'm not going to get into the gun debate but there is something seriously wrong across the border. It is a truly bizarre world down there.

And it goes way beyond these tragic events. If the emails I get from my kids schools are any indication, there are a large amount of parents who are mailing it in. Just last week the school had to send an email out that the school is having hundreds of kids show up to school without masks. So they have exhausted their supply for emergencies. I'm reading the email thinking......WTF! who are these hundreds of parents who "forget" to make sure their kids have masks for school. This the first thing I ask my kids before they leave for school. I get emails every week to return library books, send winter clothing, please send in that form we asked for you to sign 2 weeks ago......and on and on. I feel sorry for the teachers who basically have to not only educate their children but try to get parents to do some very basic and simple tasks. I honestly don't know how they do it, I have nowhere near the patience required for that garbage. I have missed the odd thing here and there, nobodies perfect but I really buckled down if I notice anything is slipping.

But the concept is the same. I as a parent is accountable for my children. Sure I can throw more responsibly their way as they grow older but as a parent that still means I need to be monitoring what is going on.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post

You need to follow more of what actions the parents did leading up to the shooting. Unsafe firearm storage is the least mistake they made.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I am mostly envious of US gun laws, the lack of safe storage is one that has me scratching my head though.

I wonder how this will play out? The fact that there is no safe storage laws is the key. If a gun is not required to be secured, how can the owner be liable when the gun is taken?
This isn't about safe storage, the parents irresponsibly supplied a minor with a firearm and were quite cutsie about the whole thing. The gun was an early Christmas present to him, then they ignored all the warning signs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/03/u...-shooting.html

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-04-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
This isn't about safe storage, the parents irresponsibly supplied a minor with a firearm and were quite cutsie about the whole thing. The gun was an early Christmas present to him, then they ignored all the warning signs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/03/u...-shooting.html

Grizz
I just read that, after my post. thanks for the info. This is even more damning for those parents.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:43 PM
Banned

I wonder what the penalty in Canada would be for supplying a minor with a handgun and then he kills and maims many in school, anyone know?

Last edited by North40Rules; 12-04-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
I wonder what the penalty in Canada would be for supplying a minor with a handgun and then he kills and maims many in school, anyone know?
Healing Lodge or something similarly barbaric like this…

https://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/csc-virtual-tour/7-eng.shtml
Old 12-04-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Well...I agree with you on that one. What about that!

However, not sure on which should be first...
Old 12-04-2021, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

Why am I not surprised? Pffffffffffffffff
Old 12-04-2021, 08:48 PM

Default The parents are idiots.

My kids (currently 11 and 12) both shoot. LOTS. They have .22s and hunting rifles of their own. They also "Have" a 22 pistol.

ALL LOCKED UP. ALWAYS LOCKED UP.

So if my kids teacher caught them searching up ammunition at school I would be choked that they were not doing school stuff. That would be the end of my concern.

I completely agree with very little of Canada's gun laws. EXCEPT the safe storage. It is a no brainer.

The parents there are absolutely responsible for everything that happened.

I don't care if their state does not have safe storage laws. There were lots of warning signs that junior was having issues (starting with the parents being stupid). Junior should have never had access (never mind unsupervised access to any firearms).

I hope they all fry. Even though it won't bring back the dead or heal the injured.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:54 PM

The unfortunate part is school officials addressed specific things the kid was doing, which clearly indicated the kid was deeply disturbed and potentially self destructive or dangerous. And, they took the time to address it with his parents yet they ignored it - and bought him a gun instead.

The parents, in this case, deserve what they get. Really poor parenting. Other people's kids are dead and it's because you were "laughing it off" and ignoring the concerns and screaming warning signs.

The parents probably had a hand in screwing up the kid too.

Idiotic and senseless. Criminally irresponsible if you ask me.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:29 AM
Banned

Quote:

This non-response to a click-bait question makes me wonder why you bothered to contribute at all. As a person who makes a living from the earth you know full well what the penalties are for the unsafe gun storage. As an educator you know full well that this type of answer would not rate a passing grade if presented for review. As a parent you probably would not help your children foster the idea that killing your tormentors will solve the issues. As a Canadian you also know that there has been hundreds of school shootings in the U.S. (where millions of households have a hand gun in the bed stand for easy access) and one in Canada, about 14 years ago committed by some type of semi automatic rifle.

Please tell us if the recidivism rates are any higher in Healing Lodges as opposed to Federal penitentiaries. Seems to me that both types of facilities are revolving door institutions, at least if previous discussions on this board are any indication. Can you cite any examples of this type of crime in Canada and the dispositions of the case(s)?

I think you may have fallen victim to the enquirer who has so far demonstrated an alt-right view with little or no knowledge about outdoor living who thinks that all members of this community are like minded.

Free
Old 12-06-2021, 05:00 AM
Banned

Default Correction

What I should have stated at the end of paragraph one is: there were 14 young women shot dead 32 years ago by a young man. My mistake.

Free
Old 12-06-2021, 05:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
This non-response to a click-bait question makes me wonder why you bothered to contribute at all. As a person who makes a living from the earth you know full well what the penalties are for the unsafe gun storage. As an educator you know full well that this type of answer would not rate a passing grade if presented for review. As a parent you probably would not help your children foster the idea that killing your tormentors will solve the issues. As a Canadian you also know that there has been hundreds of school shootings in the U.S. (where millions of households have a hand gun in the bed stand for easy access) and one in Canada, about 14 years ago committed by some type of semi automatic rifle.

Please tell us if the recidivism rates are any higher in Healing Lodges as opposed to Federal penitentiaries. Seems to me that both types of facilities are revolving door institutions, at least if previous discussions on this board are any indication. Can you cite any examples of this type of crime in Canada and the dispositions of the case(s)?

I think you may have fallen victim to the enquirer who has so far demonstrated an alt-right view with little or no knowledge about outdoor living who thinks that all members of this community are like minded.

Free
Click-bait question? Little or no knowledge about outdoor living? You assume much!

I honestly do not know what kind of time you would get in prison in Canada for facilitating this type of behavior and NOT SECURING your firearms from access to a disturbed minor with a dubious/disturbed track record, which is why I asked the question.

I know that the criminal justice system is extremely lenient in Canada, just look at the case regarding Karla Leanne Homolka https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karla_Homolka free in 12 years??? If I were the judge in that case she would have gotten life in prison.

I completely agree with Ebrand's post, not because children are bad, but because children are inherently curious, and having unsupervised access to firearms can lead to unintended concequences. I say good on him for being a responsible gun owner.

You may want to consider reframing your posts when you are assuming other people's posts and positions, especially by people you do not know a thing about.

By the way, I have been fishing since the age of 2 and hunting for 56 years starting with snaring rabbits at the age of 5, and I know nothing about outdoor living, really?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers N40

Ice Fishing a long time ago!

Last edited by North40Rules; 12-06-2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
Click-bait question? Little or no knowledge about outdoor living? You assume much!

I honestly do not know what kind of time you would get in prison in Canada for facilitating this type of behavior and NOT SECURING your firearms from access to a disturbed minor with a dubious/disturbed track record, which is why I asked the question.

I know that the criminal justice system is extremely lenient in Canada, just look at the case regarding Karla Leanne Homolka https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karla_Homolka free in 12 years??? If I were the judge in that case she would have gotten life in prison.

I completely agree with Ebrand's post, not because children are bad, but because children are inherently curious, and having unsupervised access to firearms can lead to unintended concequences. I say good on him for being a responsible gun owner.

You may want to consider reframing your posts when you are assuming other people's posts and positions, especially by people you do not know a thing about.

By the way, I have been fishing since the age of 2 and hunting for 56 years starting with snaring rabbits at the age of 5, and I know nothing about outdoor living, really?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers N40

Ice Fishing a long time ago!

Just an FYI, he was replying to the post made by sns2, not you.