Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2021, 07:43 AM

Default The tipping debate.

Do you still tip at restaurants?
What really bugs me that when they give me the pin machine after dinner you have the option to pay 18% and then it goes up from There or you can choose a dollar amount.
With the minimum wage increase you still tip the same or less than before the increase.
Even at fast food joints they expect tips now.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:47 AM

I was in a restaurant yesterday, nice food, mediocre service. The tipping options were 20%, 22% and 25%.

I like to tip but their rates annoyed me.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:58 AM

If the machines give me no option to tip what I feel is appropriate, I will give them the amount I think is appropriate in cash.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:59 AM

At one time a tip was for good service now it's compulsory at some places and expected everywhere even beer store's and take out joints.
Restaurant prices are already too high without a tip, we used to go out every couple weeks for a nice supper now maybe once a month, having a homemade dinner with family or friends is the new normal and we don't have to tip anybody.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:00 AM

It depends on the waiter, attitude and gratitude.

At Arby's Lloydminster there is a sweet old girl in the window, been there forever. If I get a meal or just a drink, she gets $5. The balks everytime, but is 100% appreciative.

I was at touch of Asia a couple days ago, and the guy was crying about having no business, plus skyrocketing costs. I gave the guy nearly 30% didn't even look at me or thank me. This is a buffet, all he did was top up water. He won't get a tip again.

Brewhouse girls look like someone spit in their drink if you don't tip for phone in takeaway.

It's ridiculous and I'm ok with not tipping.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-04-2021, 08:00 AM

How is it they ask for a tip on take away or delivery?

Like really…..

Also watch the tip percentages and how it’s calculated, most do the math after taxes are added on…..

There are no absolutes
Old 12-04-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
I was in a restaurant yesterday, nice food, mediocre service. The tipping options were 20%, 22% and 25%.

I like to tip but their rates annoyed me.
That means 0
Old 12-04-2021, 08:19 AM

You always have the option of picking a dollar amount. I don't do tips on take out.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-04-2021, 08:30 AM

Don’t pick anything. Hit enter twice.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:36 AM

I do not and never have tipped at fast food, takeout or Buffets. It makes no sense to me to provide a tip for zero service. Prior to the lock downs I would consistently tip serving staff in restaurants, the tip reflected the service I got, anywhere from zero on up. I have got up and left restaurants with really bad service.

During the last 2 years, I felt sorry for restaurant staff and the owners given their employment was so off and on. I actually started tipping fairly liberally for the servers and direct to the kitchen. However, service in many places is going downhill and bigger and bigger tips have now come to be expected. The restaurants have jacked up their prices a lot, mostly to cover the 40% they have to pay Lift and Uber or Skip for delivery. I get zero discount for eating in and saving them the 40% and on top of that my order now plays second fiddle to any of the takeout deliveries due to the penalty fees if they are late with the food for the Uber pickup.

Long way of saying I now only tip for good service. Mediocre or Bad service has gone back to zero, good service gets a fixed dollar value depending on how good the service was, how long I was there and the amount of work the server had to do. I am not tipping a percentage on food prices that have already more than doubled.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Tipping sometimes works against the restaurant.
I do not like tipping so I very seldom go to a restaurant
I have noticed lately more people using the deli at Safeway
The sandwiches or subs may not be the best but hopefully they are safe to eat
I have a friend who does not tip and he gets mad if he thinks you are tipping extra to cover him
to each there own
Old 12-04-2021, 09:03 AM

One time I was at BP's in Camrose and the waitress was much more interested in sitting with the hockey players across the room than doing her job and waiting our table. We sure waited alright...

Food was delicious but the lack of service on the waitresses part earned her a $0.01 tip. I figure when she looked at the receipt that 1 cent would be a bigger F you than just being a 0.

It would be nice if there was an option for a negative tip for times like this where someone is getting paid for a job and ignore you
Old 12-04-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Tipping sometimes works against the restaurant.
I do not like tipping so I very seldom go to a restaurant
I have noticed lately more people using the deli at Safeway
The sandwiches or subs may not be the best but hopefully they are safe to eat
I have a friend who does not tip and he gets mad if he thinks you are tipping extra to cover him
to each there own
Never again for me, I got a severe case of food poisoning from a Safeway lumberjack sandwich. I was working out of town at the time, a day of laying on the floor of a motel bathroom is more than enough memory for me to avoid those from here on out!
Old 12-04-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I do not and never have tipped at fast food, takeout or Buffets. It makes no sense to me to provide a tip for zero service. Prior to the lock downs I would consistently tip serving staff in restaurants, the tip reflected the service I got, anywhere from zero on up. I have got up and left restaurants with really bad service.

During the last 2 years, I felt sorry for restaurant staff and the owners given their employment was so off and on. I actually started tipping fairly liberally for the servers and direct to the kitchen. However, service in many places is going downhill and bigger and bigger tips have now come to be expected. The restaurants have jacked up their prices a lot, mostly to cover the 40% they have to pay Lift and Uber or Skip for delivery. I get zero discount for eating in and saving them the 40% and on top of that my order now plays second fiddle to any of the takeout deliveries due to the penalty fees if they are late with the food for the Uber pickup.

Long way of saying I now only tip for good service. Mediocre or Bad service has gone back to zero, good service gets a fixed dollar value depending on how good the service was, how long I was there and the amount of work the server had to do. I am not tipping a percentage on food prices that have already more than doubled.
Dean, I am not arguing, as the expectations for big tips is not right, however, in every restaurant I know of, the server has to tip out a %age of his/her total sales at the end of the evening. Kitchen, hostesses, and bus staff get their tips out of that. So it costs that person to serve you. Also remember, everything in their world has increased exponentially too.

It has been a long while since I never left some kind of a tip. I just see it as part of eating out. However, I eat out in sit down restaurants way less frequently because of the exorbitant cost, and I don’t eve drink alcohol. I just can’t afford it.

Last edited by sns2; 12-04-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:23 AM

Sitting in a restaurant has been a thing of the past for 3yrs for me, is all just frozen food heated from the
grocery stores across the street imo. There's zilch love put into cooking meals/part of the equation any longer.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:30 AM

Way I look at it is if you can afford to go out and eat, you can afford a tip.(unless not warranted)
I always tip. Unless it’s extra special crap service.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:01 AM

When the arrogance of owner programs the machine to start at 20 percent, they get nothing and I won’t be back
Old 12-04-2021, 10:09 AM

I hate that machine prompting me…begging for a tip.
I usually tip in cash, and in certain ethnic restaurants I do it surreptitiously
Because the owners will take the tips from the waitress.

Last week I got an $8.00 meal deal at DQ and tipped the young girl 20 bucks.
It made her day and it made my day to see her smile. The cool thing is she went right away and split it with her co-worker.

I wish restaurants would charge enough for their food that they could afford to pay staff a decent wage and tipping would disappear.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Way I look at it is if you can afford to go out and eat, you can afford a tip.(unless not warranted)
I always tip. Unless it’s extra special crap service.
2 weeks ago we went out for supper for my wife's birthday just the 2 of us.
main dinner was 30.00, a drink each a desert and that was over 80 bucks, and then a 20% tip on top that makes for an expensive 1.5 hours.

We rarely eat out.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
2 weeks ago we went out for supper for my wife's birthday just the 2 of us.
main dinner was 30.00, a drink each a desert and that was over 80 bucks, and then a 20% tip on top that makes for an expensive 1.5 hours.

We rarely eat out.
It’s nice to treat yourself sometimes.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:15 AM

We are never going to all agree, I think that was exactly the point of the thread. I am fine with you guys doing whatever floats your boat. All I did was put down how I think, and quite honestly, it isn't because I am miss informed or lack a full appreciation or knowledge of how this works.

SNS2 -If no tip is left, no money should be owed to the pool but if they are on a straight percentage of meal tickets that could come out of their pocket. If the waiter or waitress is in a pool arrangement and providing service so bad they aren't getting tips then the answer is to pick up your socks and do better. Min wage is 15 bucks an hour for the waiter and the rest of the staff. I don't tip other staff making minimum wage, like the clerk at the grocery store, or the guy at the gas station.

Moose - if you believe the cost of tipping is a built in part of going out to eat, that is your choice. Tipping to me is not about whether I can afford it or not, it is about does the server deserve it or not. I also won't pay the restaurant if they serve me bad or substandard food and I almost never give them a do over because that is rarely going to work in your favour. I also don't go back.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-04-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:15 AM
Banned

Tips are earned, not automatic. If the food is good, I tip the cook. If the service is good, I tip the server. If either are really poor, no tips.
I never feel bad if I don’t tip.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:27 AM

Tipping is one of the most demeaning things we do in North America.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:32 AM

I consider the cost of eating out to include a tip. Judging and withholding is a game with zero impact. I expect a baseline service and call upon management if that falls short. I don’t eat out a lot because I don’t consider it of value.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:43 AM

I remember when you used to get a discount for picking up your food for take out. Now everyone has a hand out.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-04-2021, 11:53 AM

Fat burger in red deer has a tip expectation when you pay, before they even make your burger. I'm not comfortable with that so I don't eat there anymore. I go next door to Carl's jr 100% of the time instead.

The subway in my town has the tip expectation so I avoid that place too.

The sushi place we go to in red deer ads the tip to the bill automatically. Then expects you to tip on top of that. They get 0.

When we go to a pub or restaurant and the waitress is doing a good job, they get a big tip. Even if she's busy and slow getting to us, but we can see she's zipping around trying to please everyone. She gets a big tip.

If she's more interested in chatting with coworkers, she looses the bonus.

I have no issue tiping 20,25,30% or even more. Or 15,10,5% or less. Depending on effort. Spending another $10 or $20 isn't going to break me. But they don't get rewarded for being lazy.

I bust my butt at work. And the only tip I get is to not eat yellow snow.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2021, 12:32 PM
Gone Hunting

How about a little guidance?

I go grocery shopping and spend between 100-200 bux. Now that I'm old and not as limber as I used to be, this time of year, I have trouble trying to push a loaded cart through the snow and slush to my pickup.
I ask for help and always get a polite young person to push the cart and help load my groceries.

Tip or no tip?

2 bux buys you nothing these days.
5 bux seems like a lot for pushing a cart to the truck especially if you ain't rich.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-04-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Tipping is one of the most demeaning things we do in North America.
That’s the best post of the thread.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
How about a little guidance?

I go grocery shopping and spend between 100-200 bux. Now that I'm old and not as limber as I used to be, this time of year, I have trouble trying to push a loaded cart through the snow and slush to my pickup.
I ask for help and always get a polite young person to push the cart and help load my groceries.

Tip or no tip?

2 bux buys you nothing these days.
5 bux seems like a lot for pushing a cart to the truck especially if you ain't rich.
Go shopping less often but spend twice as much.
That fiver will seem more reasonable?
Old 12-04-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I remember when you used to get a discount for picking up your food for take out. Now everyone has a hand out.
Exactly right. I bought way more when they were fighting the SKIP contracts, living out of town it was a treat. Now it's gone.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....