Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2021, 01:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Go shopping less often but spend twice as much.
That fiver will seem more reasonable?
Excellent advice. I'll shop half as much and tip the five and save money on fuel from one trip instead of two.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-04-2021, 01:28 PM

i tip depending on service i receive. good work should be rewarded. iv even given extra to the guys that do work on my place. most the time $1 for every 10 i spend. but if its a big job and my bill is say $2000 and the guys put in extra time to finish on time. hell yes ill toss em a few bucks for the effort. and when i call them back to do work i get my job done faster . same for waiters, they remeber and my service is better next time. i worked bars for years and i always remembered the good tippers and made sure they got there food and drinks faster maybe a free one on the house every now and then.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I remember when you used to get a discount for picking up your food for take out. Now everyone has a hand out.
Our pizza place in town gives a 10% discount for out of town customers. How's that for supporting local, they charge you 10% more lol. From now on, we're from out of town.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2021, 01:49 PM

I tip what and when I feel it’s deserved. No set amount it all depends on the food and service
Old 12-04-2021, 02:03 PM

I hate to tip nothing even if the service is bad. As has been mentioned even if your server is lazy they probably have to pool their tips with the hard workers.

Now being dinged with a mandatory 18% "gratuity" for a party of 8 at a breakfast buffet... That will only make me choose a different establishment next time.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
Never again for me, I got a severe case of food poisoning from a Safeway lumberjack sandwich. I was working out of town at the time, a day of laying on the floor of a motel bathroom is more than enough memory for me to avoid those from here on out!
Probably got the rota virus. When I worked for IGA back in the days, I would have customers come in a few hours later claiming food poisoning..LOL

Seldom would anyone get food poisoning from deli sandwiches.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
When the arrogance of owner programs the machine to start at 20 percent, they get nothing and I won’t be back
Every machine will have a dollar amount instead of using the % option.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:59 PM
Banned

Tipping is among the top on my list, of why I hate eating out. If anything, it just makes me want to DIY more often.

Want to eat french tar tar? DIY
Milkshake? Youtube and DIY
Deer venison livre pate? DIY
Want to have aged steak? DIY
Game meat at restaurant? Youtube recipe and DIY

That's just me though. Plus the skills learned and money saved is a huge side bonus

Last edited by EdmontonEli; 12-04-2021 at 02:59 PM. Reason: grammy
Old 12-04-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I hate to tip nothing even if the service is bad. As has been mentioned even if your server is lazy they probably have to pool their tips with the hard workers.

Now being dinged with a mandatory 18% "gratuity" for a party of 8 at a breakfast buffet... That will only make me choose a different establishment next time.
so what would happen if you said Im not paying the 18% tip and took it off the bill? Can they legally do anything?
Old 12-04-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4extreme View Post
so what would happen if you said Im not paying the 18% tip and took it off the bill? Can they legally do anything?
The sushi place we go to, it says it right on the menu. Gratuities added to bill.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
We booked a birthday breakfast for 10, with a buffet breakfast. The breakfast was 35 bucks a head. At no time when we booked did they tell us that 8 or more people was 18% on top. There was also no table service of any kind except clearing dishes. I refused to pay their mandatory tip and I would have even if they had provided some kind of table service. They weren't happy but they took the 350 for the food with no extra service fees.

As far as places that show a mandatory tip on the menu, you have the option to leave without eating. If it isn't on the menu they can bite me.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:53 PM

Default Tipping

I have always disliked tipping, especially based on the cost of my meal. It should be the same service whether I order a less expensive soup or top shelf steak. Why should I pay more if I like a more expensive meal? On the flipside, why should staff get less because of a lesser meal? it's the same person bringing food from the same kitchen.
The other thing I check now is if the server actually gets the tips. We learned of a couple restaurants where the owners take all tips. They claim they pay the staff above minimum wage so the tips belong to the restaurant. I don't agree with this.
Everyone expects tips everywhere now it seems and that just bugs me. Tips at takeout, no. Tips at the bottle depot, no. I already think they rip me off counting cans....

geo
Old 12-04-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Anyone can refuse to pay all or part of a bill. It's not illegal if you have a legitimate dispute. At the same time you can't just bugger off. I had some guy try and rip me off on gas once in the East Kootenays. He was near the border crossing and he had hiked up the litre cost by $1 more than the local market and ripped off American tourists. I filled up and went inside to pay and when he gave me the amount we got into it and I refused to pay based upon his failure to post the price. I gave him the local rate and my name and address and told him to sue for the rest.

If you believe you are being ripped off then pay what you agree to and dispute the rest.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:06 PM

My worst is in small bars where you can lean over and grab the beer from the fridge your self. Cause that’s definitely worth 2 bucks a drink on over priced beer.

when I made minimum wage doing anything but serving I never saw a tip and I was expected to do good work. I’ll also mention that the wage difference was about 1$ for servers. So my idea is that servers are paid minimum wage to do a good job, I don’t tip until the service is past good.

The whole server pity thing is a bit annoying. Look at the amount of places offering minimum wage for non food service jobs. Turns out serving is one of the more lucrative ones do to tips.

The ridiculous amounts that show up on machines I tend to ignore, I’ll hit $0 and be done.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklerdog View Post
I have always disliked tipping, especially based on the cost of my meal. It should be the same service whether I order a less expensive soup or top shelf steak. Why should I pay more if I like a more expensive meal? On the flipside, why should staff get less because of a lesser meal? it's the same person bringing food from the same kitchen.
The other thing I check now is if the server actually gets the tips. We learned of a couple restaurants where the owners take all tips. They claim they pay the staff above minimum wage so the tips belong to the restaurant. I don't agree with this.
Everyone expects tips everywhere now it seems and that just bugs me. Tips at takeout, no. Tips at the bottle depot, no. I already think they rip me off counting cans....

geo
Oh man my bottle Depot makes you sort all your cans into 24 packs and sort all the bottles into bins before they count them. I don’t even blink at the tip jar
Old 12-04-2021, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
How about a little guidance?

I go grocery shopping and spend between 100-200 bux. Now that I'm old and not as limber as I used to be, this time of year, I have trouble trying to push a loaded cart through the snow and slush to my pickup.
I ask for help and always get a polite young person to push the cart and help load my groceries.

Tip or no tip?

2 bux buys you nothing these days.
5 bux seems like a lot for pushing a cart to the truck especially if you ain't rich.

If your going to tip for anything. $5 is minimum.
Now if you buy something for $3 with a $5 bill and tell
The person to keep the change, that’s different.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
If your going to tip for anything. $5 is minimum.
Now if you buy something for $3 with a $5 bill and tell
The person to keep the change, that’s different.
So you are saying u tip 5 bucks for a coffee at Tim's, unless u pay in cash If people don't appreciate a couple of bucks I guess zero won't be appreciated less. To me this is exactly the problem, 15 bucks an hour is 35,000 a year, way too many people think they are worth 60-80,000 a year to sling hash in a diner. I don't agree with them.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-04-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:52 PM

I agree it's annoying to go grab a sub at subway and the tip options pop up automatically at 20%, 25% and up immediately upon the clerk handing you the debit machine. That is a bit underhanded and puts your customers on the spot. I don't like it. A tip for fast food with no table service seems strange ...

In a sit down and service restaurant - I tip without hesitation at the standard 15%-20% (depending on the bill total), and give higher tips if the service is good and I enjoyed my meal.

I get these people are doing a minimum wage job and in restaurants they have to share the tip - so I don't mind. If a tip is going to be a financial burden for me - I shouldn't be eating out. If I think the prices are too high for the food, and the tip is a deal breaker, I shouldn't be eating out.

That's the way I look at it.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
We booked a birthday breakfast for 10, with a buffet breakfast. The breakfast was 35 bucks a head. At no time when we booked did they tell us that 8 or more people was 18% on top. There was also no table service of any kind except clearing dishes. I refused to pay their mandatory tip and I would have even if they had provided some kind of table service. They weren't happy but they took the 350 for the food with no extra service fees.

As far as places that show a mandatory tip on the menu, you have the option to leave without eating. If it isn't on the menu they can bite me.
That happen to me last night. Group dinner they added 18% to my bill. Went to pay and the tip option came up on the machine. Almost didn’t catch it and tipped on top of that. Kind of sneaky, I bet lots of people unknowingly tip on top of the 18%.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:14 PM

I have slowed way down on tipping. The “guilt” tipping as I call it really bugs me. You go grab some takeout and they hand you the debit machine asking you for a tip. Most feel guilty so they accept the percentage option. I have done it a couple times but I’ve stopped. Once minimum wage bumped up to $15 I also started tipping less. Most people tip based on the bill total (another thing that chaps me, that percentage tip is based on the total so you’re actually tipping on the tax portion too) So food costs have gone up and a price of a meal has gone up so thus the tip total has gone up. The only thing that hasn’t gone up is my wage. If me and the wife go out for lunch, I’ll grab a beer, she’ll grab a soda. Two meals and maybe an appy to share. Total bill is probably $60 or so. The waitress is making $15/hr and we’re there for about an hour. I tip the expected 20% and I almost doubled her hourly wage. And most of the time she takes our order, somebody else brings it out and she comes by once to see how things are.

I know tipping is the norm and I 100% of the time throw down a tip. It’s just not as much as I used to and never if I’m picking up the food myself. The restaurant should up their menu prices, pay their staff a liveable wage and get rid of tipping. I heard of an Edmonton restaurant proposing that and his staff threatened to quit. They make way too much in tip money. I have friends that waitress and it’s not uncommon for them to make over $500 on a busy night. One told me she made $1200 one night.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
That happen to me last night. Group dinner they added 18% to my bill. Went to pay and the tip option came up on the machine. Almost didn’t catch it and tipped on top of that. Kind of sneaky, I bet lots of people unknowingly tip on top of the 18%.
A group of 8 of us travel for Grey Cup every year. We were out East and it took us 2 days of bar hopping and eating out to realize there was an auto gratuity on our bills. The waitresses made out good for those couple nights. 18% auto tip plus another usual 20-25% on top of it all. I always look for the auto tip if there is a larger group of us now.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:21 PM

I tip more at places I frequent more often. I get better service for sure. Gondola pizza gets here in 20 minutes as opposed to 45-60, which I'm sure is a result of my tipping.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post

They've taken the lead of our politicians...taxing you on your taxes.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:29 PM

The Brewhouse girls have to tip out the kitchen a percentage of their sales regardless if they received a tip from the customer or not . My daughter has server friends who have served larger groups who do not tip .They still have to pay the kitchen .
Old 12-04-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_okotoks View Post
The Brewhouse girls have to tip out the kitchen a percentage of their sales regardless if they received a tip from the customer or not . My daughter has server friends who have served larger groups who do not tip .They still have to pay the kitchen .
But at the end of the day the restaurant has to pay you your hourly wage. They can’t deduct your wage to “pay out” tips to the kitchen staff. If the waitress makes $15/hr and works 8hrs, The Brewhouse has to pay her $120. She might not make a killing in tips because she has to dip into her tip funds to pay out for tips she didn’t receive but she still makes her hourly wage.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:52 PM

I wouldn't really mind tipping as much if the prices on the menu hadn't gone up 50% in the past few years. I know that my wage certainly hasn't. I rarely buy restaurant food anymore, but it really miffs me when I'm picking up take out and a tip percentage shows up first on the POS machine.

I much preferred how things were in Western Europe, SE Asia, Australia when traveling. The price on the tab was what you pay. Sometimes a 5-10% gratuity was added to the bill, but that was pretty rare.

I'm not sure about Europe or Asia, but in Western Australia the servers were paid a good hourly wage by the business, and the patron was not expected to supplement their earnings. The menu prices were slightly higher than in Canada, but I found most meals were of a much higher quality and without tipping probably around the same price or a bit less.

To be honest, we've usually been pretty disappointed when eating out in the last five years or so. The food has been mediocre at best for the most part, and since we both like to cook, we often wished that we would have just picked up some fresh ingredients and prepared the meal at home ourselves.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_okotoks View Post
My daughter (19 at the time) worked there for a little. One night an old guy grabbed her ass, she spun around and tore a strip off him. The Manager took her into his office and threatened to fire her if she ever did that again.

The next day a party of 6 did a dine and dash, and he made her pay. Apparently waitresses are supposed to run after drunks and stand in front of their trucks.

When I heard of both these things I drove to Lloydminster and took the Manager into his office. Friends of hers tracked down the 6 and got her money back, I nearly tore his head off for telling her to let people get handsy, and she never worked there again. It was extremely difficult letting him walk out of his office.

The Manager told the girls to 'dress for tips' because that was how they get paid.

The new Manager (for a few years now) seems to be better. I went back when I heard the spineless one was gone.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-04-2021, 11:43 PM

I tip at places I like. Example, grabbed a donair before work this evening at the only donair place I go to. Took my food and left a tip before eating it because I know it's gonna be good.

I'll tip my hairdresser a lot because we've been friends since we were both 15, she was a guest at my wedding, does my wife's hair, sons hair, etc etc and I am sure I have saved money over the years regardless of how big of tip we leave her and I know if the govt shuts them down again or something she will still drive out to our place to cut or color hair.

I got a mechanic buddy that does work at his dealership for me afterhours, I tip him on top of paying him well for the stuff he does.

Surprised no one here has said this yet, Dwight from The Office:

"Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones."
Old 12-05-2021, 12:21 AM

I leave a small tip at takeout places. Same goes for buffet places.

We have been tipping a higher percentage since March 2020. Times have been tough for service workers; wait staff, hair stylists etc

If it's a server that we've had good service from on past visits, we'll give half of the tip on the machine and the other half in cash directly to the server.

Our bottle depot hires people who are trying to get their lives straightened around. I'll tip them directly.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I wouldn't really mind tipping as much if the prices on the menu hadn't gone up 50% in the past few years. I know that my wage certainly hasn't. I rarely buy restaurant food anymore, but it really miffs me when I'm picking up take out and a tip percentage shows up first on the POS machine.

I much preferred how things were in Western Europe, SE Asia, Australia when traveling. The price on the tab was what you pay. Sometimes a 5-10% gratuity was added to the bill, but that was pretty rare.

I'm not sure about Europe or Asia, but in Western Australia the servers were paid a good hourly wage by the business, and the patron was not expected to supplement their earnings. The menu prices were slightly higher than in Canada, but I found most meals were of a much higher quality and without tipping probably around the same price or a bit less.

To be honest, we've usually been pretty disappointed when eating out in the last five years or so. The food has been mediocre at best for the most part, and since we both like to cook, we often wished that we would have just picked up some fresh ingredients and prepared the meal at home ourselves.
I’ve been to Australia a few times and tipping is nonexistent or rare. Servers are paid a pretty high minimum wage. It was absolutely the worst service I’ve ever experienced many times while dining over there. Nobody seemed to care if your food was cold or if it ever came. No incentive to do a good job .