Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2021, 10:26 AM

Default Contract killer in Lloydminster convicted

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...McgLmsdf3oTKtQ

Christopher Hermkens has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the April 2019 killing in Lloydminster, Alta., of Raymond Dumont.

Hermkens, who is also known by the street name Cage, is automatically sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.

Edmonton Court of Queen's Bench Justice Wayne Renke found that Hermkens was a contract killer who had never met his 32-year-old victim.

Hermkens was hired by two of Dumont's rival drug dealers in the border city. The judge found he was offered $105,000 to complete the job, but only collected $15,000 after the killing.

Renke also found that the killing was planned and deliberate.

"There was nothing spontaneous or impulsive about what occurred," Renke said.

Accused contract killer on trial for murder of Lloydminster, Alta., drug dealer
After Hermkens agreed to take the job, he obtained a phone, stolen vehicle and firearms to carry out his mission. Since Dumont was a stranger to him, Hermkens called on his friend Mark Moran to identify the victim.

On the day of the murder, Moran drove up to Dumont and his girlfriend near Dumont's home.

Dumont's girlfriend heard the words, "Is this him?" She saw Moran nod, then a shadow appeared outside her passenger door.

Hermkens, armed with an assault-style rifle, fired 12 shots within a few seconds into Dumont's vehicle. Dumont was shot in the head and his girlfriend was injured by shrapnel. Dumont died with his foot on the gas pedal and his vehicle crashed into a nearby school.

After Raymond Dumont was gunned down, his vehicle careened out of control and slammed into a nearby school. (Court exhibit/RCMP)
Hermkens raced from the scene in Lloydminster and, just outside Sherwood Park, east of Edmonton, set fire to the stolen vehicle. Renke found he did so in an attempt to destroy evidence.

Hermkens was arrested and held in custody at the Edmonton Remand Centre, where he was recorded during a telephone call saying, "I got him, this woman. Pretty sure I got the kid too."

The judge found there were also numerous instances of Hermkens asking witnesses not to testify.

Hermkens' co-accused, Mark Moran, will likely go to trial in the spring of 2023.

'Put a price tag on human life'
Dumont's girlfriend said she still has nightmares about the shooting.

"Seeing Ray die like that really affected me," Chelsey Hart wrote in a victim impact statement. "My family was scared for theirs and my own safety. They are still scared to this day."

Hart said she was evicted after the shooting and no longer felt safe living in Lloydminster. For a time her son was apprehended by Children's Services because they didn't think he'd be safe with her.

Dumont with girlfriend Chelsey Hart in a Facebook photo dated April 2019. (Raymond Dumont/Facebook)
She said she's worried if Hermkens gets out of prison, he'll come after her and her family.

The victims mother, Dorothy Dumont, said she's never felt so angry.

My son's fate was left in the hands of irresponsible, heartless and cold individuals who had the audacity to put a price tag on human life," she wrote in her victim impact statement.

"Greed, selfishness, jealousy and entitlement was the dangerous combination that ended my son's life that night."

Before he was led away by sheriffs, Hermkens cried quietly in the prisoner's box while an unidentified woman in the gallery sobbed loudly.

"This is a grim day for everyone," Renke said.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-04-2021, 10:38 AM

The victim Ray Ray broke into my house got caught within an hour, did 18 months for that and other crimes no great loss to the community.

Mutt and Jeff the hitmen will be going away for a long time three less criminals on the streets.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The victim Ray Ray broke into my house got caught within an hour, did 18 months for that and other crimes no great loss to the community.

Mutt and Jeff the hitmen will be going away for a long time three less criminals on the streets.
Holy hell man!!!

That's terrifying after the fact!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-04-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Holy hell man!!!

That's terrifying after the fact!
I took him fishing when he was 14 part of a group designed to help troubled teenagers four years later he broke into my house while the wife and I were at work.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:01 AM

Hats off to you for trying to help a troubled person.

Dodger.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:

You would hope that the 2 guys that hired Hermkens would be jailed also. Making the number of upstanding citizens in tax payer housing to 5.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I took him fishing when he was 14 part of a group designed to help troubled teenagers four years later he broke into my house while the wife and I were at work.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:32 PM

live by the sword die by the sword..

Don't sell drugs and you'll most likely not get killed by another drug dealer
Old 12-04-2021, 04:37 PM

I love feel-good happy-endings stories…..
Old 12-04-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Hats off to you for trying to help a troubled person.

Dodger.
Or, No good deed goes unpunished.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-04-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Many more tough guy drug criminals to take their place unfortunately.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:33 AM

No loss with Dumont, we don't have to deal with him anymore but we have lots of drug scum in Lloydminster to take his place, unfortunately

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:42 AM

My understanding is this was a very complex investigation.

Great job performed by all police officers involved in this successful investigation, which resulted in convictions in Court...
Old 12-06-2021, 07:59 PM

There is lots more riff raff in Lloyd that needs to be cleaned up as well....
Old 01-05-2022, 07:26 PM

Default Another twist

LLOYDMINSTER – A man who hired a hit man to shoot and kill a rival drug dealer in Lloydminster has died before he could be charged and prosecuted.

According to court documents, Steven Thorne – whose street name was Crazy - hired Christopher Hermkens to kill rival drug dealer 32-year-old Raymond Dumont in the border city of Lloydminster in April 2019.

“Hermkens was promised $100,000 by Mr. Thorne for Mr. Dumont’s death,” ruled Edmonton, Alta., Court of Queen's Bench Justice Wayne Renke when he found Hermkens guilty of first-degree murder in December 2021.

https://www.sasktoday.ca/north/local...ecuted-4926112

All that goes well ends well
Old 01-05-2022, 07:53 PM

1 more piece of drug garbage that ended up in a good place

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
1 more piece of drug garbage that ended up in a good place
X2
Old 01-05-2022, 08:33 PM

Old 01-06-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
LLOYDMINSTER – A man who hired a hit man to shoot and kill a rival drug dealer in Lloydminster has died before he could be charged and prosecuted.

According to court documents, Steven Thorne – whose street name was Crazy - hired Christopher Hermkens to kill rival drug dealer 32-year-old Raymond Dumont in the border city of Lloydminster in April 2019.

“Hermkens was promised $100,000 by Mr. Thorne for Mr. Dumont’s death,” ruled Edmonton, Alta., Court of Queen's Bench Justice Wayne Renke when he found Hermkens guilty of first-degree murder in December 2021.

https://www.sasktoday.ca/north/local...ecuted-4926112

All that goes well ends well
I love stories about tax savings!
Old 01-06-2022, 09:36 AM

Won't be able to sleep tonight...
Old 01-06-2022, 10:04 AM

In a finial bit of justice Thorne is rumoured to have died of an overdose, his own poison killed him.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:26 AM

It is hard to read, but the heart wrenching stories () of this wonderful, giving caring loving big-hearted family man (3 kids) who recently turned his life around after being led down a bad path, absolutely no fault of his own are all over the Lloydminster fecesbook pages.

In our little town the infamous murdering drug dealer just died too. He was actually arrested and charged a few years ago for the death of another man whose body was found on Mt Joy ski hill. He supplied key evidence to the Crown, and being a 550lb invalid unable to walk they cut his sentence for appearing for the Crown.

2 down....

Old 01-07-2022, 02:07 PM

according to a officer i spoke to. let nature do the work, they had to be release back into the wild ...