Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 PM

Default water safety on float tubes & pontoons

I'm curious what kind of water to stay away from with a float tube or a 1 person pontoon?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 AM

most are rated for decent water on the river. but all depends on make and float size.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 AM

I would stay away from most moving waters in a tube, and I would also avoid large lakes in a Tube where there is a chance of heavy wind.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:56 AM

You also have to be careful to not get close to dams etc, for undercurrents. You should take the boating course even if you don't have a motor on the pontoon. There is a lot of safety stuff in there.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing_flower View Post
You also have to be careful to not get close to dams etc, for undercurrents. You should take the boating course even if you don't have a motor on the pontoon. There is a lot of safety stuff in there.
yes mother dearest
Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 AM

I would feel safer in a float tube then a canoe if you ask me. You are low in the water so you have less of a profile and a less of a chance to be flipped. Also half your body is already underwater which helps balance you out. I don't think waves would be your problem, but as mentioned before, I would be more worried about current and under tow. If you are going in a tube in a river, perhaps a small navy style 5lbs anchor would be a good idea just incase you find yourself being beat by the current you can stop in location and either gain some strength or flag down someone that could assisst you. As for the pontoons I have never used them, but they look like they are top heavy and would have the chance to flip in larger waves, but once again this is that is just an observation and could be wrong. Just like anything I guess the best bet would be start slow and work your way up and test it. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:22 PM

"yes mother dearest "

Just don't drown out there or get shot by some landowner!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Banned

I take my float tube down the bow all the time and have never had any issues, its definitely easier to get into trouble in a canoe! just make sure to be aware of whats coming up, especially when your fighting a fish and not paying as much attention
Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 PM

Any advice for casting low to the water, like in a little pump-up boat? I almost hooked myself today a few times if it weren't for wearing a hat. I found casting with the rod to the side 45 degrees helped a little bit. Maybe the rig was too heavy for my little #6 rod & line. It was a streamer with a slipshot on it.

sorry, i'm new to the board and I've been asking lots of questions. Some forums cry "use the search", some are real nice. Don't know how this forum is yet.

But anyways, how do you fly fishers out there keep your tippet/leaders which aren't in use nice and tidy? I try to wrap them up like they come in the packaging but whenever I open the tackle box a few days later they're a tangled mess.

Any tips or tricks for keeping line untangled?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:49 PM

Default i use

cd holders with soft plastic pages (folders)
Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwirky View Post
I'm curious what kind of water to stay away from with a float tube or a 1 person pontoon?
Float tubes are not made for moving water and are labeled so. Regardless of what others say, never use your tube on a river, it's to easy to get you legs caught in rocks/debris or get flipped on the shallow runs. An Alberta man died just last year on a Montana stream in his float tube. The type of pontoon boat usually dictates where you can use it, some are stillwater models and some are made for both. Usually pontoons that are rocker shaped are rated for moving water (check with the manufacturer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwirky View Post
Any advice for casting low to the water, like in a little pump-up boat? I almost hooked myself today a few times if it weren't for wearing a hat. I found casting with the rod to the side 45 degrees helped a little bit. Maybe the rig was too heavy for my little #6 rod & line. It was a streamer with a slipshot on it.
Casting from low to the water is no different than casting from anywhere. If you find you are hitting the ground or water behind you then you're not keeping your back cast up. Instead of casting back, concentrate on casting up (to about 12:30). With heavier rigs, you'll want to open your loops a little and yes putting a little side arm in will help too ( I almost hooked myself today a few times) That's why they call it "chuck and duck". Your rod maybe under weighted for your setup. It may not have enough backbone. Doesn't mean you can't use it, just makes it a tough day on the water as the rod should do the work for you. I used an eight weight for years on the Bow and it was great for chucking those big heavy nymphing rigs but a couple years ago, I bought a six weight St.Croix Ultra Legend 10ft rod just for streamers and nymphs on the Bow and it does the job very well. The extra foot and the fast action makes chucking heavy rigs easier.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Doc

Last edited by Doc; 06-11-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 AM

tubing in a river where you have a defined put in, take out is fine, but you can get into trouble fast in unknown water or where you strech the limits.

Baling out on a hot day with just a bathing suit or john is kind of fun, but when your wearing flippers, possibly waders, a vest and rod, don't be surprised if you loose most your gear, tear up your knees, and inhale a gallon of water.

I was swept on the Skagit years ago with waders, and believe me, it wasn't fun. A small bit of traction on the bed kept me from hitting a log pile.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

Thought I would bump this as there is some good info for beginners