Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2009, 11:49 AM

Default Need help to stock a pond.

Where my dad works there are 2 pretty good sized dugouts and the guys he works with asked me to help them find some fish to stock in them. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some prices for fish doesn't matter what species really but I was curious if you can get a fish thats not normally found in Alberta lakes such as Bass, Catfish, Crappie or even Sunfish? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated guy. Thanks a ton in advance.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:07 PM

Most non native fish are not allowed this link should give you lots of info
http://www.smokytroutfarm.com/
Old 06-14-2009, 03:20 PM

Only rainbow trout grass carp and talapia can be stocked in alberta from my experiences. I have a stocked pond so if you have any questions deal free to pm me.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
Most non native fish are not allowed this link should give you lots of info
http://www.smokytroutfarm.com/
Actually, only non-native species are allowed for private stocking. We are not allowed to stock naturally occuring fish. In fact, in order to get a fish stocking license, you must apply for a permit, and you must have signed authority from the landowner if the dugout is not on your land. Also, an employee of the Ag department will do a site visit to ensure that the water body does not allow escapement of the allowable non-native fish that you will eventually purchase. They also record the individual water body or bodies and take GPS coordinates.

If all goes well, you will be issued a recreational fish culture license with it's own terms and conditions and allows for the culture of five species of non-native fish. After researching the local fish suppliers, you will find that your choices will be limited to rainbow trout or rainbow trout, or slightly larger rainbow trout. Oh, I forgot triploid grass carp.

Also, the above license does not allow Tilapia. It does allow for Arctic Char, although you probaly won't find a supplier and they won't typically live through Alberta summers.

Aquaculture in Alberta =