Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

Default how to catch perch in summer

what are their habbits in summer? do they hang deep, shallow, in weeds or by docks? and can you catch em in either isle or buck?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM

They normally like to hang out in deeper holes or around weed beds. I know you can catch them in Lake Isle but not sure about South Buck.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM

To easy just go to Sundance and bonk away

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 06-12-2009, 07:54 PM

I have actually caught alot of summer perch...seems less and less each year. I usually target rocky shore lines preferably with tree overhangs or dropped logs. Main tactic is to sit about 40 feet or so off shore, cast in about 2 feet from shore with a #2 or#1 spinner (usually with a hackel) tipped with work and slowly work it back to the boat. Sometimes you can watch a cloud of perch follow. If that seem to be unsucessful try a small jig, aloso tipped with a worm in about 6 feet of water slowly increasing in depth until you find them, just be prepared to loose a few rigs to pike and walleye. I am heading to one of my favourite perch holes this Sat..I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
To easy just go to Sundance and bonk away
thats exactly what I was thinking
Old 06-12-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
I have actually caught alot of summer perch...seems less and less each year. I usually target rocky shore lines preferably with tree overhangs or dropped logs. Main tactic is to sit about 40 feet or so off shore, cast in about 2 feet from shore with a #2 or#1 spinner (usually with a hackel) tipped with work and slowly work it back to the boat. Sometimes you can watch a cloud of perch follow. If that seem to be unsucessful try a small jig, aloso tipped with a worm in about 6 feet of water slowly increasing in depth until you find them, just be prepared to loose a few rigs to pike and walleye. I am heading to one of my favourite perch holes this Sat..I'll let you know how it goes.
Interesting that you find them that shallow, I normally find them in the deeper holes come summer time. I might have to try a couple different tactics now this summer!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:03 AM

Smile

Oddly, we find Power bait works well ( check regs b4 u go though pending on where ur going). Mt roomies kids wrangled tons last year on P.B. Good lucka me friend!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:40 AM

I'd love to get onto Sundance! But it's private access isn't it?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 AM

Yes it is Bryce but if you give sundancefisher a PM Im sure he could make it happen for you. Thay have been trying to rid that water of perch for a while now. I catch lots in sylvan during the summer fishing a bobber and worms in shallow water around weed beds the trick is to keep moving around shore untill you find some dont wate to much time in one spot.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Oddly, we find Power bait works well ( check regs b4 u go though pending on where ur going). Mt roomies kids wrangled tons last year on P.B. Good lucka me friend!
seriously??what colour of powerbait????i may be heading to Chestermere tomorrow so i could give it a try, assuming there's an perch left out there....and i cant find somewhere better to go..lol
Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM

Default oops

Oops, sorry baitfisher, I stand corrected. I thought they used P.B. but apparently it is something quite similar but meant for perch fishing? Sorry if I mislead u
Old 06-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Fish in 6-10 feet of water over weedy patches in the last hour or so before dark. Perch often come into the shallows to eat minnows and bugs just before dark. They don't seem to bite well after dark.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM

I caught two jumbo's in 7 feet of water in weeds/lily pad area on a crankbait, gold and red. Both hit when I stopped reeling (on a slow, fast, slow, stop, slow, fast, slow stop reel cycle).
Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Oops, sorry baitfisher, I stand corrected. I thought they used P.B. but apparently it is something quite similar but meant for perch fishing? Sorry if I mislead u
which would be what???lol