Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 AM

Default Long lake report

Well an awsome Sat at Long lake. First of all Perch were a no show, bummer. Spent a good portion of the day hunting, using a variety of of techniques...notta. Pike were OK, no monsters all under 4lbs.... Walleye however were abundant. Found a nice sharp drop off and my 14 year old son, being lazy (as all 14 year olds are) decides to stop casting and show up the old man to "kick it old school" with a hook , worm, and a slip bobber 5feet up....in 5 minutes he had the first eye in the boat...ok can't beat em join em! So me and my daughter re-rigged and let the games commence! We had several double and one tripple header...it was a blast for all. between 3:30 and around 6:00 we must have landed 20 fish in all, with only 2 pike in there. Largest being around 4.25 lbs...ok exactly. Word of mention though, the lake is very, very busy with boaters and pleaure craft..it is crouded and hectic with skiers, wakeboaders and tubing, with about 6-10 jet-skis whipping around at anytime. Also there is only a single launch at the park with limited parking. In other words if you plan to go be early (8:00 at the lake latest) and be prepared to leave late after 8:00 or so to avoid the 1 hour wait at the launch...no not an exageration. Also the dock is old and has only enought room for 2 boats. So if you are a 1 man show, beach just south of the dock to get your rig in the water..Probably not a great lake for beginners or small craft like canoes or such as the tubers create alot of wake and as an avided canoer as well I know how anoying it is. Also people have no problem zooming the launch area and washing you off your trailor just as you get lined up...no commen sence does not prevail there. Positive side, lake is beautiful, and the walleye are biting! Enjoy!!Send me a PM for exact location of the drop off I worked if you do intend to head out.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Banned

thanks for the report