Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Missile Silo turned luxury prepper bunker

I wonder if the price of these units have gone up due to world circumstances. There's prepping....and then there's this...

https://www.cnet.com/features/inside...CAD-03-10aaj8j
Old 07-11-2020, 04:55 PM

They'd need a couple of suites for maintenance personnel.

When you think about the scenario should that place ever really be required, lets assume that the owners actually made it there. Of course there will have to be full-time maintenance staff there to have the place ready at all times, so at least one shift of them would be on site for sure. After whatever event occurs they'd all be in there and then the Lord of The Flies would set in.

Lets assume that a few of the owners are useless jerks and don't contribute to keeping the place running, I could see them being turfed and, if they could be contacted, others with useful skills brought in to join the little society. The maintenance staff would also want their family present, so of course the electrician and plumber would probably have their spouses and kids along. I guess multiple tickets sure would make a person indispensable, and perhaps you could find a couple where the wife was a sparky/fridgie and the husband a plumber/millwright. Anyways, those people would be top dogs in such a society.

I think there should be some redundancy with more than one windmill though. 3 ought to be a minimum number. There'd have to be a good maintenance shop with lots of spare components for common wear items as well.

What if the maintenance crew and security team just invite over their friends and family and don't let the wealthy owners in? How would an IT CEO breach his way into that?

Last edited by CaberTosser; 07-11-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:40 PM
Banned

Didn't a bike gang try to buy the Red Deer Diefenbunker nuclear war facility?
Old 07-11-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadji Ramjet View Post
Didn't a bike gang try to buy the Red Deer Diefenbunker nuclear war facility?

Bit of an interesting story. Provincial government sold it to some guy, who then spread the story that the Hells Angels were interested in buying it. Government panicked, bought it back for a lot more money and demolished it. I drive by there regularly and shake my head, our tax dollars at work .

Grizz
Old 07-11-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

When you think about the scenario should that place ever really be required, lets assume that the owners actually made it there. Of course there will have to be full-time maintenance staff there to have the place ready at all times, so at least one shift of them would be on site for sure. After whatever event occurs they'd all be in there and then the Lord of The Flies would set in.

Lets assume that a few of the owners are useless jerks and don't contribute to keeping the place running, I could see them being turfed and, if they could be contacted, others with useful skills brought in to join the little society. The maintenance staff would also want their family present, so of course the electrician and plumber would probably have their spouses and kids along. I guess multiple tickets sure would make a person indispensable, and perhaps you could find a couple where the wife was a sparky/fridgie and the husband a plumber/millwright. Anyways, those people would be top dogs in such a society.

I think there should be some redundancy with more than one windmill though. 3 ought to be a minimum number. There'd have to be a good maintenance shop with lots of spare components for common wear items as well.

What if the maintenance crew and security team just invite over their friends and family and don't let the wealthy owners in? How would an IT CEO breach his way into that?

Very valid points. I'd be the one volunteering to ride my tricked out F 800 Blackline and MP5 to do the parts runs!

On a side note: I think you've got the makings of an interesting movie script! "Rich guy realizes which people hold value during Armageddon"
Old 07-12-2020, 08:25 AM

If you're a reader check out these books on that very topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silo_(series)

Plot
The story of Wool takes place on a post-apocalyptic Earth.[6] Humanity clings to survival in the Silo, a subterranean city extending one hundred forty-four stories beneath the surface. The series initially follows the character of Holston, the sheriff of the Silo, with subsequent volumes focusing on the characters of Juliette, Jahns, and Marnes. An ongoing storyline of the series is the focus on the mystery behind the Silo and the secrets it holds. The mystery is eventually revealed at the end of book five; Shift, which encompasses books six through eight, comprise a prequel to the series. Book nine, Dust, pulls the storylines together.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 07-12-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

Exactly what I was thinking. What are you gonna do at that point .... fire him and take away his paycheck he can't spend on anything? yeah - lord of the flies. That's why in a crisis a firearm is your best resource. As long as your neighbors are stocked up, and don't have guns, you will be fine ....