Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 PM

Default Pontoons

Costco has a decent pontoon boat right now, price is very good too.
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/ProductS...&Mo=25&topnav=

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Nice! That looks like a great boat!
Just so everyone knows, last year they had one made by the same company as the Kingfisher icefishing tents.

They seems like good quality, even had a trolling motor mount. I believe that they were $269ish.. Can't say for sure. They might have them again this year.

Not sure how much of a role quality plays with pontoon boats as I dont have one but I just wanted to let everyone know.

Tight lines!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 PM

it wont float wayne....:P
Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 PM

I was trying to find one of these ones last year, everyone was sold out, and they were a lot more money . the retractable wheel would come in handy, beats dragging it across the ground.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM

Looks like a pretty good unit. Seems to have all the bells and whistles. What makes the material better quality/stronger in a pontoon boat? Do they differ significantly like zodiacs and comparable and competing inflatable boats?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:24 PM

Only a 1 year warranty and for Class I rivers...there is a reason for such low numbers...lower quality.
If you are serious about a pontoon, have a look a Outcast pontoons or North Fork outfitters (Dave Scadden pontoons)
Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM

I do not agree with this last post, this colorado pontoon is a great boat and that is an unreal price. I bought this exact same boat last year for 650.00 and it does have all of the bells and whistles and is a well built boat. I also have a water skeeter pontoon and this boat easily compares to it, it might even be a little nicer with all of the storage options. These Colorado boats are a good brand in my experience.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 AM

I also don't agree that the Colorado is of less quality than similar models of Outcast.

The rear deck of the Outcast is a mesh apron and not a metal cage like the Colorado. Try strapping your battery to that. Seems a bit mickey mouse.

There are a lot of features on the Colorado that are not present on similarly priced Outcasts. The travel wheel is one. On the Colorado there are three oar locks, making your oar placement adjustable. This is nice if you are short or tall, or want a longer/shorter stroke. There are cup holders on the Colorado and the storage bags seem nicer.

It is true that the Colorado isn't rated to handle serious river waters, but this is an entry level pontoon boat and if you were considering fast moving waters you would not be looking at boats like this anyway.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 AM

any reviews on the belly boat?

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....055&lang=en-CA
Old 03-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Are these in any of the stores, or on line order only?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Friend of mine just ordered one of these online during this weekend. I, myself just picked up Outcast Discovery 8' for about $560.00 at Fishin Hole (used for trade show display) and the day after Costco got these ones, so I told my friend about it.

I am happy with my purchase as it has aluminum frame and carries 5 year warranty and has solid aluminum platform behind the seat for battery. In any case this model looks very attractive as well. I am sure I would have gone for it in a heart beet if I did not pick up the one I got. If these come into Costco stores it should be at least another $50 less as Costco online pricing is always a bit more. Costco online also has less expensive model but I would pass on that one.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:18 PM

The rear deck of the Outcast is not mesh, it's checkerplate on a steel frame. There is a mesh compartment under the seat. Have never used the Colorado myself but have seen reviews about the seams splitting and the oar locks slipping. Just a heads up. There are 28 reviews here.
http://www.cabelas.com/pontoons-clas...oon-boat.shtml
The Outcast also has a 5 year warranty. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
The rear deck of the Outcast is not mesh, it's checkerplate on a steel frame. There is a mesh compartment under the seat. Have never used the Colorado myself but have seen reviews about the seams splitting and the oar locks slipping. Just a heads up. There are 28 reviews here.
http://www.cabelas.com/pontoons-clas...oon-boat.shtml
The Outcast also has a 5 year warranty. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the info. Funny because if our dollar keeps going up might be cheaper in US funds. Not too often it is less money in Canada. Ok, back to earth, our dollar going up is not a good thing for the economy. Off topic. Please don't change the topic of the thread. That was not my intent.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 PM

At the end of the day you do get what you pay for but it can depend on what kind of usage & often your pontoon gets out. For the guys like me who have several little kids at home & a wife who actually wants me around most of the time (lol), the Costco boat would be just fine. But that's based on the thought that the boat would only see the water 3 or 4 times a year & never any serious river miles. If you plan on hitting the bigger rivers 10 times/year & strap an electric on for lots of lake trips to boot then I would definitely look at a higher quality unit. Quality of material & seams unfortunately don't start to show faults until it's pretty much too late, like the season right after the warranty is up!