Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 09:58 AM

Default All Folding Knives being seized by CBSA

Hi Folks,

Please read the information below and act upon it as this is paramount to our rights as Canadian citizens:

THE PROBLEM? – In early January the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) upheld a CBSA seizure ruling against a manual opening “flipper” style knife. In this ruling they also mandated to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) that they consider the following knives prohibited for import (classified as prohibited weapons): “ a. a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and b. it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.” According to multiple seizures by CBSA on multiple brands, they have deemed this to be practically any folding knife. See - https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...18-01-eng.html.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? – CBSA takes their direction from the CITT. Because the CITT has interpreted the criminal code erroneously, almost all folding knives are at risk of getting into the country – ALL BRANDS ARE IMPACTED. The Canadian Criminal Code does make mention of knives that cannot be imported (Automatics and butterfly knives – See section 84(1) of the Canadian Criminal Code) http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...9.html#docCont , but anyone we have spoken with (other brands, dealers, MP’s) believe that they never intended to classify folding blades. It is believed this is a bad misinterpretation of the Criminal Code legislation, resulting in poor regulatory change. As a result, any knife shipment coming into Canada that gets inspected by CBSA will be seized and not allowed into Canada, even though there is no issue with buying, selling or owning these type of tools.

WHO IS IMPACTED? – Anyone who wants or needs to purchase a folding knife for work (fisherman, hunters, EMT’s, ERT’s, Fireman, Police), as a daily tool (farmers, ranchers, forestry, retailers, warehouse personnel, or any industry where folding knives are used as tools). The knife industry, which includes manufacturers, distributors, retailers and end users is not only impacted by the ownership and use, but by the millions of dollars that go into the economy for the purchase of these every day tools, are at risk.

WHAT CAN I DO?
• Write, call or email your MP. Because this is a “regulatory change” (not a legislative one), MP’s can put pressure on the appropriate minister(s) to potentially have this change reversed.
• Sign, and have your customers, family and all folding knife users, also sign the HoC sponsored petition online that Edmonton South MP Matt Jeneroux has established – time is of the essence. Petition is located here -

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/P...etition=e-1552

Thanks so much for your time, I hope you have a fantastic May Long Weekend!
Old 05-18-2018, 10:21 AM

Coming to a messed up society near you. The CBSA is doing only as they are possibly being told.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Check out the ban on locking blade knives.

It is proving that gun control does nothing to stop a person trying to kill another if they have their minds set on it.

RJ
Old 05-18-2018, 10:33 AM

On the other hand, this sounds a little more clear cut than our rules.

https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-force-against-intruders

Grizz
Old 05-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Banned

They ( CBSA ) do nothing to prevent tens if thousands of undesirables jumping the International Border Illegally every Year,,,

But they (CBSA) can prevent pocket knives from entering Canada,,, WooHoo

What perfect example of UNEMPLOYABLE persons with positions of UNEARNED Authorty encouraged to do NOTHING by the Government ( TurdO ) that administers them ,

Welcome to Canada, Our leader is an Idiot !
Old 05-18-2018, 10:44 AM

Next they will ban all forks longer than 5 inches
Old 05-18-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
They ( CBSA ) do nothing to prevent tens if thousands of undesirables jumping the International Border Illegally every Year,,,

What perfect example of UNEMPLOYABLE persons with positions of UNEARNED Authorty encouraged to do NOTHING by the Government ( TurdO ) that administers them ,

Remember to THANK all the Liberal voting members on AO for their support .
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Signed
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-18-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Signed
Thanks very much! Every signature helps at this point!
Old 05-18-2018, 05:07 PM

signed
Old 05-18-2018, 05:12 PM

Wasn't a thread about this here a few months ago?
Cat
Old 05-18-2018, 05:40 PM

From talking to someone who sells knives it is my understanding that the knives are not classed as prohibited and they can still be sold BUT they will no longer be imported into Canada.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
There were a few of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
From talking to someone who sells knives it is my understanding that the knives are not classed as prohibited and they can still be sold BUT they will no longer be imported into Canada.
Correct, the C.I.T.T has no legal ability to change the laws of our country and neither does the CBSA. Until the law and the Criminal Code of Canada changes, these knives are all fully legal even though some police are trying to charge people with them.

Thankfully there is petition that is sponsored? by a Member of Parliament so it will be brought up.

What is happening can be basically compared to M.A.D.D declaring that any vehicle that can go over the speed limit is illegal since speeding itself is illegal and the mall security trying to seize your vehicle because it is "illegal".
Old 05-18-2018, 09:13 PM

First machine guns, then pistols, evil black guns, evil high cap mags, evil knives, evil hate speech........Do you not see a trend here.....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:35 PM

Coming soon to a Canada near you! http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news..._public_place/
Old 05-20-2018, 07:41 PM
Suspended User

All they are doing is removing knives that have been made to beat the existing laws. Those knives that pop open easily have actually been illegal all my life. I know lots of people who were busted for them before.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
All they are doing is removing knives that have been made to beat the existing laws. Those knives that pop open easily have actually been illegal all my life. I know lots of people who were busted for them before.

NO! ANY folding knife can fall under this "decision". Since their "test" allows them to "manipulate" the blade before the flick they can open the blade past any detents/locks and then flick it open which makes it a prohibited weapon.

That slipjoint knife your grandpa carried? Illegal. The swiss army knife you had as a kid? Illegal. Buck 110 folder you love? Illegal. That leatherman you have carried every day for years? Illegal. Now, they aren't likely to seize them but by their definition and their own "tests" these knives are illegal.

Their decision is overly broad and their "test" is different for every knife and every person that administers it.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
WRONG! none of the knives that cbsa has recently prohibited for import are illegal or ever have been illegal to own, import, or carry.

I have more than a few police friends in departments that range from RCMP to OPP and many departments in between and ive asked them about this in detail. None of these knives are illegal in any way and every one of these Leo's edc one of theses types every day in uniform and out of uniform.

It IS illegal to carry ANY knife,stick, or rock for the purpose of self defence or protection. If a case can be made that your carrying with this intent you will be charged. This has nothing to do with the item being illegal. You will be charged for the same crime if found with a ka-bar in your sock or a brick in your pocket.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I have been around knives for a very long time and I have never seen anyone busted with one as you describe. The only one that I have ever seen declared illegal is the switch blade like the ones that bad guys used to flick open in the movies. You know the ones tat look like a folded dagger with a button. I think they made the illegal list about the same time as brass knuckles. Actually I think the reason they were made illegal is because some weak kneed politicians thought that those movie knives might influence our youth.

My understanding is that the assisted open knives we all know are still not illegal to possess, but some weak kneed types have banned them from being imported into Canada.

Pocket knives are OK as long as they stay in your pocket on certain occasions where to produce one it would be construed as a weapon.

These knives may be prohibited sometime in the future but as far as the recent past and the distant past they have not been an issue.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:

My understanding is that the assisted open knives we all know are still not illegal to possess, but some weak kneed types have banned them from being imported into Canada.

The CBSA are seizing a ton of one handed opening knives that are not assisted. They have seized a lot of Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, ZT, etc.

Benchmade specifically super tightens all the pivots on knives coming to Canada so you almost need 2 hands to open them and they are still getting seized. Unfortunately there is nothing preventing the CBSA from loosening them to make it into a prohibited knife. I know of 3 reports of retailers having shipments seized of items they have ordered several times before and there are likely more that have not been reported.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:57 PM

I was wearing a buck 4 inch folding buck in a shieth and I was threatened by a rcmp member . I quote leave that in your truck next time or I'll arrest you.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I was wearing a buck 4 inch folding buck in a shieth and I was threatened by a rcmp member . I quote leave that in your truck next time or I'll arrest you.
Did you ask what the charge would be?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:34 PM

Concealed weapon!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:37 PM

Happened at a roadside gas station . I was on my way home from deer hunting. I was minding my own business . He confronted me without Reason!
Old 05-20-2018, 11:55 PM

CBSA seized a ZT knife that I had imported that same one before. I'm kinda ticked as it was a limited edition with a special handle.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
CBSA seized a ZT knife that I had imported that same one before. I'm kinda ticked as it was a limited edition with a special handle.

You always have the option of paying FedEx (a lot of money) to ship it back to the seller.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post

Spoken like a true uneducated, misinformed, ignoramus!
Okay, okay....I'll give you the TurdO part.

Before spewing off your rhetoric, do some homework!
Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
there was and from that thread I have changed my response a 100%. As pointed out to me it is just another right being taken away. Honest outdoorsmen are now being classed as criminals because of what they carry and have always carried. I signed the petition but wonder if these potions go anywhere.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Concealed weapon!
So he saw the buck knife in the sheath and he would have charged you with concealing it?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
So he saw the buck knife in the sheath and he would have charged you with concealing it?
correct ! Asked a lawyer he said true . But no judge would convict. It's a law used to get suspects in the detachment. Lawyer said judge would only consider it if was wielded inappropriately but could be charged!
Old 05-21-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
correct ! Asked a lawyer he said true . But no judge would convict. It's a law used to get suspects in the detachment. Lawyer said judge would only consider it if was wielded inappropriately but could be charged!
Wielded inappropriately is a given but concealed in full view is not concealed.