Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 08:00 AM

Default Jet outboard on a Tracker Grizzly???

I'm looking to repower my Tracker Grizzly 1860 with a jet outboard. I was thinking a Merc 80hp jet or Yamaha 90/65.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever thrown a jet outboard on a welded aluminum boat and what is needed. I'm assuming I would need a jack plate since my transom isn't built for a jet. Also wondering about the performance aspect since I don't have a tunnel jet?

My other question is about running the river. I live in Fort Saskatchewan, so I'm pretty close to the North Sask. Just wondering if this is just a pipe dream, or if this setup is going to give me the ability to fish on the river without wrecking my boat.

Any info helps... thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 08:15 AM

A 18' Jon boat is likely rated to carry around 1800lbs or a few hundred pounds less I'd think - (motor, gear and people).

So if your heavy jet is 500-600 lbs - the weight diminishes quickly and you, really, have a 2 person boat after you put in the fuel tank (going to need a big one with a jet on a river), battery, and just regular gear.

Not sure how much weight the transom is rated to carry - but my guess is you won't need a jack plate. Besides - a jack plate bolts up to your transom anyways and, because it moves the weight further out from the boat, actually, in some cases, stresses the transom just as much.

I would just check the specs .... if everything looks OK, and you are not exceeding any allowances - go for it. If you are unsure - we can come up with something that will work for you safely.

Regarding the engine brands - without question in this application - Yamaha is the better engine.

Have fun with the boat !!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 08:38 AM

I see guys on the NSR quite often with regular outboards with props so if ones careful you should be good with a jet foot as it would only be about 3-4 inches below the bottom of the boat. As long as you have a decent understanding of how to read the river to know when the bottom is near and where the boulders are. It's best to learn when the river is clear so you can see the bottom coming up and learn how the surface ripples look etc.
As for how your boat would perform, I have no experience with that but it might have some steering issues as the tunnel helps it track straight, maybe?? Again, I have no experience with this scenario, just thinking out loud.
I have a Yamaha F60 60/40 Jet with an X-Gate listed here that would be plenty for that boat.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:16 AM

I ran a 1754 Tracker Jon with a Mercury 60/40. Boat was horrible with the jackplate as the engine sat too far behind the boat. Worked much better mounted directly to the transom. Also moved fuel cans to the front storage of boat and ran a fuel line. Helped with hole shot and staying on plane when running solo. No issue when there were others in the boat and weight could be distributed forward.

Had decent power but wished I'd gone with a 90/65 which the boat was rated for.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
I ran a 1754 Tracker Jon with a Mercury 60/40. Boat was horrible with the jackplate as the engine sat too far behind the boat. Worked much better mounted directly to the transom. Also moved fuel cans to the front storage of boat and ran a fuel line. Helped with hole shot and staying on plane when running solo. No issue when there were others in the boat and weight could be distributed forward.

Had decent power but wished I'd gone with a 90/65 which the boat was rated for.
How far did the leg sit below the bottom of the boat when you mounted it to the transom? Did that ever cause you any issues when you were running in shallow water?

Old 06-21-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
How far did the leg sit below the bottom of the boat when you mounted it to the transom? Did that ever cause you any issues when you were running in shallow water?

With a bolt through set up you can still adjust your heights. Not hanging on the transom like a Kicker.
Once you’ve tried a few heights you are set
Old 06-21-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

The bottom of the foot sat flush with the bottom of the hull. There were enough mounting holes on the merc to allow it to be mounted directly to the transom flush with the bottom of the boat.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:58 PM

I run a 16 foot princecraft for years on the NSR, The foot of the jet is only a couple of inches below the bottom and will run in 4 inches of water once on plane. The transom would need to be raised to 27 inches so the jet runs right

http://outboardjets.com/download/jet...uctions/AG.pdf

My boat has been all the way from fort sask to the big horn dam....

I am now running a evinrude 60 Jet now and just loving it

Pics
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009460172000
Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 PM

The first year I was in Fort McMurray I ran a 14’ Starcraft 1448 Jon boat with a 25hp Mercury SeaPro series 2-stroke Outboard with a jet pump added. The carb restrictor plate and exhaust tube were modified to the same as the 30hp model. It ran great with 2 guys and some gear for a days fishing.

The only issue was the back of the jet shoe hung down below the bottom of the boat by about 2 1/2”. Being the lowest point on the boat it was the first to hit when it got shallow. I hit lots of times but the motor would just kick up and there was never any damage other than a few scratches on the back of the shoe.

I’d go that way again for a simple, cheap way to get on the river. I ran it in the Athabasca south of town a lot and there were lots of shallow spots and with the murky water it was hard to avoid them. In a deep river or one with clear water you would never have an issue.

Not quite the same rig as it’s a lot smaller than what the OP has but it would work the same. I’d get a manual jack plate and keep raising it until the pump started to cavitate. Then just lower it a quarter inch or so until it runs smooth. Most jack plates set the motor at least 4 inches farther back from the transom so with the way the water comes off the bottom of the boat the shoe will sit slightly higher than what my set up did.

image hosting site over 5mb

upload photo

Last edited by Positrac; 06-21-2018 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Pics added
Old 06-21-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHRVN View Post
I see guys on the NSR quite often with regular outboards with props so if ones careful you should be good with a jet foot as it would only be about 3-4 inches below the bottom of the boat. As long as you have a decent understanding of how to read the river to know when the bottom is near and where the boulders are. It's best to learn when the river is clear so you can see the bottom coming up and learn how the surface ripples look etc.
As for how your boat would perform, I have no experience with that but it might have some steering issues as the tunnel helps it track straight, maybe?? Again, I have no experience with this scenario, just thinking out loud.
I have a Yamaha F60 60/40 Jet with an X-Gate listed here that would be plenty for that boat.

I do not recomend the 60/40 Jet on this boat, I don't have any personal experience with that combo, but I do know a 25 Jet on a Grizzly 1448 is just not enough, the 1860 is a big boat... I think Merc makes a 90 Jet.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancedan View Post
I don't have any personal experience with that combo, but I do know a 25 Jet on a Grizzly 1448 is just not enough...
I don’t know the weight difference between a Grizzly 1448 and the Starcraft I had but I can assure you it was plenty of power. Also, like I said it was hopped up to a 30hp which would give you about 20 at the pump. You saying a 20hp prop wouldn’t be enough on a 14 foot tinny?
Old 06-22-2018, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancedan View Post
I do not recomend the 60/40 Jet on this boat, I don't have any personal experience with that combo, but I do know a 25 Jet on a Grizzly 1448 is just not enough, the 1860 is a big boat... I think Merc makes a 90 Jet.
I'm not convinced that a 60/40 would be enough to push my boat very well either. I have a 25hp prop on there now and I can't get up on plain with it. I'm not sure that 15 more hp's would give me what I'm looking for. That's why I'm looking at the 80hp Merc or the 90/65 Yamaha.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:58 AM

There is a nearly new tracker17' w 60/40 merc parked at my place if you need to see set up. Poor guy works so much hasn't even run it in 2 years!
I believe he has a jack plate but doesn't like it . Too much water everywhere ?
Pushes that size boat pretty well.
I am impressed w the power of merc, bigger motor but priced ok.
Tunnel doesn't matter IMO in terms of performance, put a good set of pump loaders on foot and that will help.
A 90/65 or the merc 80? Will be a great fit on your boat.
You are going console steering I imagine ?
Nieghbor boat builder has done some mods on my little etec 50 that has maxed out all the performance I could get out of that little 50.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:02 AM

I have a 16' Lund Alaskan with a 90/65 Mercury on it. I do not consider the power to be excessive. With two of us and fishing gear it will get up on plane but some times it takes a bit. It is an older carb model but I have tried to set it using the manual.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I don’t know the weight difference between a Grizzly 1448 and the Starcraft I had but I can assure you it was plenty of power. Also, like I said it was hopped up to a 30hp which would give you about 20 at the pump. You saying a 20hp prop wouldn’t be enough on a 14 foot tinny?

As per the Tracker site a Grizzly 1448 weighs 538lbs, considerably more than a 14ft tinny. A 25hp Jet isn't really comparable to a 20hp prop which even weighs considerable less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead
I'm not convinced that a 60/40 would be enough to push my boat very well either. I have a 25hp prop on there now and I can't get up on plain with it. I'm not sure that 15 more hp's would give me what I'm looking for. That's why I'm looking at the 80hp Merc or the 90/65 Yamaha.
With a Jet I like to say theirs no replacement for displacement.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:11 PM

I’d say a grizz 1448 is underfloated for a heavy 4 stroke 60/40. My suggestion is the 25 (really 20hp at jet) 4 stroke Merc.
I’m running a 25 Merc jet on a 14 legend widebody and with 2 guys and gear/gas I am gettain’t 30 km/hr upstream on the Clearwater and 40km/hr down stream. Enough bolt holes that I’m slightly above flush with bottom when fully trimmed down. It’s a manual tiller and manual trim so if it’s 2 guys going fishing I trim all the way up and set it. Gets better speed and hits better rpm. Just can’t be making tight turns or it will cavitate. If the river is low and I’m following twisty channels then I trim down to medium. Then I can turn on a dime, get on plane decently and hold a decent speed.( Maybe 28 upriver and 36 down)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 434C1D86-D033-4B80-86AD-65347A734E4B.jpg (16.4 KB, 42 views)