Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2010, 10:33 PM

Default Looking for good grayling in Alberta

I am planning a camping / fishing trip this august and need some help picking out a good grayling river. (My last trip left a bad taste in my mouth as the embarras was a bust) Right now im thinking seriously about 3 in paticuliar: the Berland, the Wildhay and the Little smokey. I have not fished any of them before but they seem like big name grayling rivers. I know nothing about these rivers so any tips would be helpfull as would any other suggestions. Keep in mind that i am a flyfisherman and am willing to go almost any where in Alberta.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:43 PM

I have only caught Grayling at Christina Lake, I forget the name of the river but it flows into Christina. Pretty good fishing on the lake and river. It's almost right beside Conklin, north of Lac La Biche.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 AM

my vote would be for either The Little Smoky by Fox Creek or the Freeman by Swan Hills.

Little Smoky is fantastic grayling stream and you will not be disapointed at all with this choice. only bad thing is that their is no campground on the river anywhere unless you want to random camp then there is a couple of spots at either the first or second bridge. you can do a lot of exploring in a week on this river and 30+ fish days should be no problem with some real nice fish to be caught.

The Freeman would be my second choice. very nice little river and it has a campground on it along the Hwy from Whitecourt (32 or 33 can't remember). there is also lots of backroads that cross the upper river to explore. but it is very low right now and warm. if we don't get a lot more rain, it might be a little dicey in Aug for fishability. another good point is that there are lots of other grayling streams in that area to explore also.

those would be my two choices for grayling streams.

rgds
Mike
Old 07-12-2010, 07:33 PM

ok i think im leaning towards the little smokey as ive read up on it and it sounds like a good choice. But as for access to the grayling water i have no idea maybe from fox creek? I think once im on the water i should be able to read the water well enogh to find grayling, but any suggestions on good streaches of the river would be great.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 PM

For the LS, head up the Big Stone Rd at Fox Creek and make your way to the second bridge (Grizzly Junction). Follow the ATV path (for lack of a better description) until it meets up with the river. Now head upstream and start fishing. If you find the action a little slow try putting some action on your flies, this seams to induce strikes.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 AM

like Doc said, the second bridge is the better access location.

there is fish practically everwhere in that stream. lots of holding water with tons of riffles and pools for the fish to hold in. they are literally stacked up most spots so finding them is not the problem. grayling love riffles and faster moving water so concentrate on those features the most.

rgds
Mike
Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Be advised that the limit for the Little Smoky is "0" for all species from the head waters to the Pass Creek bridge section of the river which includes the second bridge as meantioned above. There are also some size restrictions downstream of the Pass Creek bridge and there is a bait ban at certain times of the year. I have had a lot of fun over the years catching grayling at the bridges. Let us know how you make out. (see fishing regs page 42 for more detail)

Sig
Old 07-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Sawridge creek:Slave Lake was up there 3 weeks ago it was awsome .
Little Smoky:
Freeman River: Swan Hills
Mind you water levels need to be low on the Sawridge creek.
If you choose the Sawridge creek you can also fish the Slave River for Walleye and Pike.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM

As for flies should i mainly stick to drys? Ive heard grayling allways seem to be looking up, even if there isnt alot of surface action. If the weather is cold should i be using nymphs or small streamers for sub surface action?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM

you have to mix it up with flies on the Little Smoky depending on the surface action. when they are feeding it is non stop action on dries as long as you match the hatch. but when they are not feeding at the surface, then nymphing is the way to go. added bonus is you will also get into the whiteys that way and there are some big whites in there. and don't forget to toss a huge streamer into some of the bigger pools (like under the bridges) as there are also some nice bulls in there that are more then willing to go after a streamer or that grayling or whitey you just hooked.

most luck i have is on a green bead head nymph,blu wing olive parachute pattern, elk hair caddis (either yellow or lime green, but other colors seem to work) and ant patterns. i usually start out with the nymph until i come across surface action then change to one of the other patterns depending on time of year and conditions. they are getting a little more picky thru the years then when i first started fishing there. who says fish can't learn.

rgds
Mike
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Another decent spot is the House River north of Wandering River.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks for all the help guys i think ill have a great time on the Little Smokey