Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Women Employed in Male Dominated Jobs

I was doing some air and nitrogen line relocations in the Sunridge Costco this past week and was impressed by this wee 100lb woman they have working in there mounting and balancing tires. When she was putting one tire/wheel combo onto the balancer she really had to lean back and have the tire on her knees to be able to counterbalance the thing. Being a smartas.. I told her she should have a backpack with a sandbag in it so she didn't have to lean so far back. This young woman worked very well and her manager says she's his best staffer. It got me to thinking it might make for a good thread, women you've all noticed who don't know the phrase "I can't do that"
Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Gone Hunting

There's a girl up here that has worked on a flushby for the last, at least 5 years I've been with this Oil Co. -30C or plus 30C...she is the hardest working one on the 3 man crew...doesn't know the word quit....she might be 120# ...awesome attitude!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:21 PM

My sister is a plumber by trade(Red Seal) designs in floor heating systems for very high end companies, is the person to call regarding anything with hydronic systems, She said when she first started typical remarks but funny thing is she said no guy ever complained about her plumbers crack??????? I wouldn't know it's my sister lol
Old 03-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Seen some good drivers on big gear.

Sadly I've seen some who couldn't tie their shoes, but then I've seen guys the same.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 PM

I should included the woman who works for our company, and is a first year plumber apprentice ( she's just off in her first year classes right now), but she's already a journeyman welder.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Banned

There are lots of them in the military. As far as I know, there are still none in the infantry, artillery or armoured roles (maybe Field Engineers as well) in the regular forces but there are in the Militia. But that's more a moral issue than whether or not they can do the job.

I had allot of women working for me when I was in the Army that I'd chose over some men any day. If you had made the sandbag comment to one of them they'd either give you a look and start planning on where they could dispose of your body or tell you where to put the sandbag. There were also some women that wouldn't be my first choice for a job either.

I think that what it comes down to is that you can't paint everyone the same and whether they are male or female everyone is going to have their strengths and limitations. As long as the person can do the job, it's all good.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:56 PM

Have worked and gone to school with a few in the electrical trade, and met one that was Millwrighting. With the diversity in the trades these days, you no longer have to be a 'grunt'.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:58 PM

Most all the women I've worked with or had working for me in construction were more dependable than alot of the men folk. Given proper direction they were every bit as capable too.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
There are lots of them in the military. As far as I know, there are still none in the infantry, artillery or armoured roles (maybe Field Engineers as well) in the regular forces but there are in the Militia. But that's more a moral issue than whether or not they can do the job.

I had allot of women working for me when I was in the Army that I'd chose over some men any day. If you had made the sandbag comment to one of them they'd either give you a look and start planning on where they could dispose of your body or tell you where to put the sandbag. There were also some women that wouldn't be my first choice for a job either.

I think that what it comes down to is that you can't paint everyone the same and whether they are male or female everyone is going to have their strengths and limitations. As long as the person can do the job, it's all good.
Dave:

Do you know what happened to "Guns", the female pilot who was training on CF-18's out of 4 Wing?
Did she ever graduate from 410 sqn?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 PM

We had a young girl come leasehand at the rig. After a week she got lazy and the motorman told her to do her job on a slip and cut she said no they yelled back and forth and then she got him and four others fired. Walking lawsuits.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM

The sandbag comment was more related to her being a wee thing rather than female. That she had he strength was obvious; after all she was doing the job; its just that she had to lean back so much I was worried repeated posture like that could do a number on her lower back. I'm all for tough chicks that give it hell.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Two of the best red seal carpenter/scaffolders I ever worked with are women.

We have more than a few in our trade that can work side by side all day with men twice their size.....
Cat
Old 03-06-2011, 05:57 PM

Sad to say, I have only ever known of 2 women in my trade. Guess what we do doesnt appeal to the fairer sex (and I say that with all the respect for women in the world). I cant see why climbing power poles and playing with electricity in some of the worst weather doesnt make people want to jump right in. lol
Old 03-06-2011, 07:08 PM

I have seen a woman working as a roughneck and she could more than hold her own.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 PM

I work in a lumber mill and we have quite a few women there. One of our energy plant operators( power engineer) is a woman and she is only 22. Same no matter where you go, some good workers, some bad. As far as strength goes the plant is almost fully automated so the work is not that bad. (Ya tell me that when that little 1/8 inch thick by 4 feet wide x 8 foot piece of veneer has decided to go where it wants to, not where you want it.)
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 PM

A friend of mine is female and packs 3" frac iron side by side with us out there everyday never complains and outworks most of the men i work with now my new manager has never worked a day in the field in her life but has that "i can do it better than u" additude and cant operate a stapler properly just loves to run around busting guys balls for stupid stuff ..so some are good some are a headache just like the guys it all depends on the person not the sex
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse Assassin View Post
...some are good some are a headache just like the guys it all depends on the person not the sex...

x2

Pilot, here. Was top of my class in high school for automotives, never went into it.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doetracks View Post
x2

Pilot, here. Was top of my class in high school for automotives, never went into it.
...........another stewardess workin' the radios!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Dave:

Do you know what happened to "Guns", the female pilot who was training on CF-18's out of 4 Wing?
Did she ever graduate from 410 sqn?
I wouldn't know any pilots by name. I was Army all the way and the only pilots that I ever saw were flying the planes that I was jumping out of. I took off +20 times in a CC130 before I ever landed in one.

Reverse prejudice..............I think that there are jobs that should be female specific. Take nursing for example. Who wants a male nurse caring and showing you compassion if you are all busted up in a bed. Besides, they don't look any good in those white skirts anyway.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 PM

As a rail traffic controller for CN I find myself talking to more and more female conductors and track foremen on the radio. I haven't met any and can't speak to their work ethic however. I also know of a couple girls working as locomotive engineers, typically running between Edmonton and Jasper.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
...........another stewardess workin' the radios!
I have to admit that I've done that, too. I now rule the box office