Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Default +75 yard shots... Unethical any way you look at it

Sorry, gonna rant here. I heard of a new guide down here bragging up his client took a mulie, which they shot at 117 yards..... Yes witha bow.
Then I read about a guy who took a pronghorn.... With a 78 yard shot !

Sorry , but I've been shooting for over 20 years, and I absolutely cannot see anyone claiming they can make a reliable shot at those distances. I don't care what kind of archery gear your packing, it's a hail Mary shot and your a poor hunter.... Period!!

Oooooh I'm steAmed!!

Rant done,.... Thanx.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
\

Rant done,.... Thanx.
Rant is done...but I'm guessin that this thread is FAR from over.....
Old 09-17-2011, 05:47 PM

I have never heard or seen a shot from a bow of over 100 yards.
I would not think that you would all that accurate at 100 yards to many variables
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
I have never heard or seen a shot from a bow of over 100 yards.
I would not think that you would all that accurate at 100 yards to many variables
Byron Fergusson shoots balloons at 100 yards with a LongBow instinctively for kicks lol!!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:45 PM

If your still shooting the same bow as 20 years ago I can see how you would think so. How close do you have to be to be to be a good hunter? Do you feel the same way on long distence rifle shots?
Old 09-17-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
If your still shooting the same bow as 20 years ago I can see how you would think so. How close do you have to be to be to be a good hunter? Do you feel the same way on long distence rifle shots?
Just how far is too far?
An arrow at 117 yards is going how fast?
I know out of my flat bow it sure isn't fast!!
If an arrow leaves the bow at 300FPS it must be moving pretty slow at 100 yards i would imagine.

Cat
Old 09-17-2011, 06:06 PM

I've had pass thrus on deer at 80 yards and I don't know how fast an arrow is traveling at 100 but it sinks into a target as good as a 20 year old bow will at fifty yards.
I'm not saying everyone should start throwing arrows at ranges not practiced but to start saying I'm a poor hunter because I can shoot an animal at 80 yards makes me laugh. It's like saying because I shoot a 30-30 no one should shoot over 150 yards with a rifle.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't see where bessiedog said he is shooting the same bow for 20 years. In fact I couldn't even find where he said he was shooting a bow.

I guess I missed that part.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Default Yup... I shoot old bows

Old PSE... Pins, two cams.... Yadayada.
I can shoot very very well out to 40.
I'll never do 40 in the field... That's just my call. What I shoots got nothing to do ith it. The variAbles are just too greAt past ... I'm gonna say 70.
It's not a bullet your sending out there....
I'll visit this thread tomorrow as it's the boys birthday, and the daughter wants to take an elk tomorrow morning.

Cmon no ones gonna seriously dispute this! Really??
Old 09-17-2011, 06:22 PM

I just watched them guys on outdoor obsession take numerous shots at a beaver @ 70 yards and miss........I hear they consistently take shots at those ranges. Just proves that producing a show is more important than ethics and the critters, cause defiantly proved they can't make that shot consistently.

In archery , tell me harvested your critter at 5 yards , I'll be impressed. Tell me you shot your animal at 80 yards, and you don't want to know what I think.

80 yards is very do able in competition shooting, but in hunting , I don't know anyone that can do it, ethically and consistently, especially in hunting conditions.

Last edited by pottymouth; 09-17-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:23 PM

Those are some far distances for sure, but some guys are doing some really long shots successfully, apparently. Me and my buddies practice for fun to 100 yards and the arrows seem to hit hard - nothing magical, just practice. Some guys use their stabilizer rested on a standing or kneeling length field bipod to get them steady. But for sure wind and even minor errors in form at those distances makes it out of my league or interest for hunting.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:26 PM

The problem isn't really how fast , but actually how long it takes the arrow to get there!
The slowest deer in the world is faster than the fastest bow.

Cat
Old 09-20-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
I've had pass thrus on deer at 80 yards and I don't know how fast an arrow is traveling at 100 but it sinks into a target as good as a 20 year old bow will at fifty yards.
I'm not saying everyone should start throwing arrows at ranges not practiced but to start saying I'm a poor hunter because I can shoot an animal at 80 yards makes me laugh. It's like saying because I shoot a 30-30 no one should shoot over 150 yards with a rifle.
How many wounded animals did you lose before you actually tagged one at 80 yards?

Be honest now..
Old 09-20-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
How many wounded animals did you lose before you actually tagged one at 80 yards?

Be honest now..
Its not that hard, really just practice! I filled my doe tag last week at 78 yards. Arrow went into the lungs and she ran maby 100 yards and fell over dead. I've never wounded an animal with my bow yet, just killed them.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
borrow someones chrony...and set it at (say 100) yards.
the sunshade and supports on the chrono about the same size as the vitals of a deer, getting a couple of quivers worth of readings should be no prob...the machine shouldnt be destroyed and see how fast the arrow is travelling at the same time.
Id say that the shooter is ready to hunt at that distance, if 20 samples are availble and the chrony goes back in one peice.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 PM

Trying not to judge, but....
Animals can move at any time. and the longer the range. the greater the era will be.
I guess some people have to learn the hard way. I did.
It just sucks ,that some animals will be lost. But the hunters hearts, will get broken sooner or later. and they might change there minds.
I am speaking from experience, been there done that, not going to do it again!
good luck hunting~
Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 PM

You never shoot at a game animal hoping to hit. When you squeeze the trigger on your release you should know,without a doubt that what your shooting at is dead. Sadly some mistakes do happen, but the closer you are to the animal the less likely you are to screw up. Remember pick your spot.That could be a tuft of hair or a crease behind the shoulder. If the animal is so far away that all your shooting is the side of it then its too far. Practice long- kill close, works for me.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Just how far is too far?
I know out of my flat bow it sure isn't fast!!
If an arrow leaves the bow at 300FPS it must be moving pretty slow at 100 yards i would imagine.

Cat
it depends upon his setup. approximately 260 fps at 100 yards which is much faster than most recurves and a lot of compounds. kenetic energy is still sufficient. even at 117 meters it would still have approx 250 fps much more than any flat bow? time to the target may be 2 seconds and resting animal unspoked by the sound of the shot would probably knot know what hit him. it would be unkind to lump everyones archery skills into a melting pot and reduce it to the lowest common denominator. suffice to say, there are some that are just that good.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
it depends upon his setup. approximately 260 fps at 100 yards which is much faster than most recurves and a lot of compounds. kenetic energy is still sufficient. even at 117 meters it would still have approx 250 fps much more than any flat bow? time to the target may be 2 seconds and resting animal unspoked by the sound of the shot would probably knot know what hit him. it would be unkind to lump everyones archery skills into a melting pot and reduce it to the lowest common denominator. suffice to say, there are some that are just that good.
Recurves at long range never entered my mind, I was simply stating that my recurves and long bows are NOT decent long range archery equipment - even though Howard Hill did shot an elk and a crazy distance .
Id a person wanted to get into long range shooting theye would certainly have to cut down the time of flight, and the only way to do that would be with a very fast compound.
Cat
Old 12-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Thats a game of splitting some pretty fine hairs Cat, even with a fast compound and you know it. Its so iffy on so many levels its unreal. I shake my head at anyone that condones these things with any bow. Its bad enough guys are marching around hydraulic'ing MEAT tags at long ranges, by choice, with rifles, cause we all know, for sure its worth risking ruining half the edible meat on an antelope doe just for the sake of stepping it back to hold a sh*t load of kentucky, just to say we did it. Its embarrasing. Now we have these ying yangs running around thinking they are chuck norris with a bloody bow, including about anything else these guys can get to propell something, shopping around for chances to play with lives at long range.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Sorry, gonna rant here. I heard of a new guide down here bragging up his client took a mulie, which they shot at 117 yards..... Yes witha bow.

Sorry , but I've been shooting for over 20 years, and I absolutely cannot see anyone claiming they can make a reliable shot at those distances. I don't care what kind of archery gear your packing, it's a hail Mary shot and your a poor hunter.... Period!!

Oooooh I'm steAmed!!

Rant done,.... Thanx.
As your rant started, I agree with you 100%. Not much of a guide for sure. Everyones abililties are of course different, but ethically a deer only would have to turn a bit to have a heart shot turn into an a??shot. Bow hunting is a challenge of your skill against the animals, not Best of the West. I feel that long range shooting is a joke also! Anyone can pull a trigger but get some of those guys 500 yds. closer and you may have accomplished something. My son just arrowed a good buck at 3 yards, now I think that took some skill and also a bit of luck. Just my opinion!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

There are guys who can do it. They shoot long range every day and have the equipment to do the job. Im not one of them unfortunatley but it can be done by A FEW. That being said, the vast majority of us are 50 yard max hunters, lots can be accurate to 60 too. If a guy can do it and make it count, all the power to him. However if you dont shoot long constantly and are just flingin an arrow in desperation, thats wrong. My 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWildnFree View Post
There are guys who can do it. They shoot long range every day and have the equipment to do the job. Im not one of them unfortunatley but it can be done by A FEW. That being said, the vast majority of us are 50 yard max hunters, lots can be accurate to 60 too. If a guy can do it and make it count, all the power to him. However if you dont shoot long constantly and are just flingin an arrow in desperation, thats wrong. My 2 cents.
Last year i was hitting 4 inch groups out to 70 yards i practised all year to accomplish that... This year only had 2 months of shooting and 50 yards is my max
Old 09-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Its OK to shoot 1000yrds with a rifle but 80 yrds with a bow is unethical?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:02 PM

At 100 yards it'll take you arrow a full second to get there if the average velocity is 300 ft/sec (not likely). Even if you make the perfect shot you'd still have to get lucky to have the game in the exact same position for over a second. Its not even close to a high percentage shot even under ideal conditions.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTK View Post
Its OK to shoot 1000yrds with a rifle but 80 yrds with a bow is unethical?
The big issue here is the person making the shot.
What one considers "ethical" is not what another considers "ethical"
This term is theown around like popcorn these days.
i was once called unethical by a cmpound shooter because I did not shoot from a tree stand and practised hard shoots under trees , etc.
he said it was unethical because there was too much chamce of missing - that is precisely why I practised them!!

Time of flight s long, and deer can move a great distance at that range, so everything has to be perfect.

Cat
Old 09-17-2011, 08:48 PM

I shoot out to 50 and beyond on most of my practice sessions! I'm confident to 50 yards on deer! I shot my buck at 52 yards this year! He was a bit downhill and if he hadn't jumped the string, the arrow would have gone right under him!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhunter View Post
As your rant started, I agree with you 100%. Not much of a guide for sure. Everyones abililties are of course different, but ethically a deer only would have to turn a bit to have a heart shot turn into an a??shot. Bow hunting is a challenge of your skill against the animals, not Best of the West. I feel that long range shooting is a joke also! Anyone can pull a trigger but get some of those guys 500 yds. closer and you may have accomplished something. My son just arrowed a good buck at 3 yards, now I think that took some skill and also a bit of luck. Just my opinion!
And it was definitely much more memorable being that it wasnt a long shot, seeing an animal blink and breathe right before you release... thats a rush! Thats what hunting is all about, working hard, getting the old heart pumping and always being rewarded by the memories and sometimes with a trophy! Thanks again for the hunt dad!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:33 PM

A 75 yard shot is beyond my skill and thus is unethical for me.I cannot speak for others.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Oooooh I'm steAmed!!

Rant done,.... Thanx.
117 yards with a bow, wow!! I have a hard time hitting them out that far with my gun LOL (kidding of course). 117 yards. Ethical or not, that's a heck of a shot. Not one I'd personally try, or even consider, that's for sure.