Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-21-2006, 10:10 PM
willy

Default crossbow season?

Any word on if they're gonna get 1 goin for next season? I think it would be great to get more out into the field hunting. Iknow the achery crowd will whine and bitch but who cares lets make a 2 week season just before rifle season where X-bows and other bow hunters can hunt. I'm lookin to buy one before spring.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:35 AM

Default re crossbows

holy smokes give me a break i was busted by drawing back my bow im thinking you were busted long before then i cant shoot a bow while kneeling hmm the new compounds are under 3ft in lngth sounds to me like these are selfish hunters to me i hunt with bows ,crossbows and firearms the only real advantage is with a rifle i can shoot as far out as i feel comfortable with any kind of bow includeing crossbows your kind of limited to about 60 yards max so not much of an advavtage in other provinces when they have included crossbows did not see a whole bunch more pressure put on the game animals maybe a few extra people out there but not everybody who hunts with a rifle went out and got crossbows and decimated herds given the choice i would hunt with my crossbow more yes but when im limited to only a couple of weekends i use my rifle as for useing my bow i useit alotmore now and im very proficiant with it it takes practice as does anything crossbows take along time to master as well they dont shootwell in wet weather as for the scopes you still have too take into account distance andwind like any other weapon and practice practice practice it takes as long to master as any other bow
Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Long Bow

How about a long bow or recurve seasion,or just put the compound's and crossbows in the rifel seasion.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
How about a long bow or recurve seasion,or just put the compound's and crossbows in the rifel seasion.
X2
Cross bows and compounds are alot closer related than compunds are to long bows.

This thread is rediculous. A bow is a bow. Put bows in bow season, and firearms in firearm season.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
This thread is rediculous. A bow is a bow. Put bows in bow season, and firearms in firearm season.
I like your moves Chung! You sure have a delicate way with words.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:52 AM

Smile

well for starters i'm a huge archery hunter and moved to alberta over a year ago from ont. I beleve that includeing crossbows in the archery season would not give any advantage to the crossbows! friends back home hunted with them and they didnt do any better then us with bows!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Crossbow hunting in Alta

I would like to know if they think that crossbows are magical or what. I got a crossbow and it's as hard as bow hunting is.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM

I have on for sale if you are interested? Excalibur equinox fully loaded! 850$
Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG HOPE View Post
I have on for sale if you are interested? Excalibur equinox fully loaded! 850$
Maybe....will see if the crossbow gets in where it fits and we can talk then.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Maybe....will see if the crossbow gets in where it fits and we can talk then.
Why wait? There's always the general season. I'm a little confused here, you already have a season BUT you don't want to use it. If you're really serious about this crossbow thing, start hunting in the general season? Don't tell me you can't compete with the other guys cause your weapon is only good for 100 yds instead of 300. I regularly hunt with an ML in the general season and have on occassion used my bow. The only obstacle to you using your crossbow in a season that ALREADY exists is YOU and NO ONE ELSE.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Why wait? There's always the general season. I'm a little confused here, you already have a season BUT you don't want to use it. If you're really serious about this crossbow thing, start hunting in the general season? Don't tell me you can't compete with the other guys cause your weapon is only good for 100 yds instead of 300. I regularly hunt with an ML in the general season and have on occassion used my bow. The only obstacle to you using your crossbow in a season that ALREADY exists is YOU and NO ONE ELSE.
You hit the nail on the head here Russ!!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctbowtech View Post
You hit the nail on the head here Russ!!!!

No, I hit the nail on the head!!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Why wait? There's always the general season. I'm a little confused here, you already have a season BUT you don't want to use it.
Jeez Russ that same shoe fits on a vertical bow shooters foot, maybe we should just be getting rid of the bow season and we can all hunt with our choice of tools in the general season.
Stinky your wish comes true this year!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Jeez Russ that same shoe fits on a vertical bow shooters foot, maybe we should just be getting rid of the bow season and we can all hunt with our choice of tools in the general season.
get rid of the whole danged mess, and have ONE SEASON!!
There, I feel better now.
I get sick and tired of guys talking about stick bow seasons, compound and cross bow seasons, and "primitive" seasons.....
Cat
Old 03-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Hoochie Papa

Muzzelloaders shoot balls, rifles shoot bullets, shotguns shoot pellets, x-guns shoot bolts. BOWS SHOOT ARROWS.

It's a gun. The End.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Do you know something that we don't?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
How sweet it is. I assume just for the predators?

Those are my 3 big things (sunday hunting/e-callers for predators/crossbow inclusion)....so two of them happening back to back years....life is good......hope the crossbow comes on year number 3!! I'll keep my finners crossed.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

Its not for me....its for the people i want to take with me while bowhunting. So i would buy one. I'd probably call the odd coyote in with it during the off season too.

No reason it shouldn't be allowed where it fits. Taking it in the general season? Huh, i'll just lend the people coming with me one of my other guns. Only have one bow though and seeing as how they are custom fit its kinda hard to do the same in archery seasons eh? That is until they let in the crossbow....then i'll have a variety of hunting partners through all the seasons!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 PM

Question Undersubscribed licenses

can anyone tell me, can the undersubscribed licenses be applied for online and by phone at the same time, or is it the person who can type the fastest who gets the first tags? If you apply on line do you know right away if you are drawn? does any one know??
Old 10-12-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy View Post
Any word on if they're gonna get 1 goin for next season? I think it would be great to get more out into the field hunting. Iknow the achery crowd will whine and bitch but who cares lets make a 2 week season just before rifle season where X-bows and other bow hunters can hunt. I'm lookin to buy one before spring.
I think things are good the way they are.but if you want to go crossbow hunting,then buy your crossbow and go hunting in November with it.
If you would like a longer season. There are some now for primitive weapons.(crossbows, bows,shotgun and muzzle loader's) That are late seasons. More could be made if areas(mwu) didn't get the animal harvest the SRD wanted. Then open more late season's in December for crossbows, bows,shotgun and muzzle loader's.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
I think things are good the way they are.but if you want to go crossbow hunting,then buy your crossbow and go hunting in November with it.
If you would like a longer season. There are some now for primitive weapons.(crossbows, bows,shotgun and muzzle loader's) That are late seasons. More could be made if areas(mwu) didn't get the animal harvest the SRD wanted. Then open more late season's in December for crossbows, bows,shotgun and muzzle loader's.
things are excellent the way they are....could be a tad better though, thats why all this talk, its all win win except for a few trophy mule deer hunters in the south that figure its end of the world but the rest of the province country doesn't seem to have an opposing argument like the southern TROPHY mule deer hunters do, way more win for everyone else
Old 12-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Default Crossbow Season

I doubt we'll ever see a crossbow season in Alberta, and I highly doubt that we will ever see crossbows used during regular archery season. The "bow association" in this province is one of the biggest and strongest in Canada, if not North America, and we all know where they stand on the topic. And when you have that much political clout, you can pretty much rule crossbows out.

I do have to say that we have made some progress in that crossbows are now allowed in a number of primitive weapon seasons, but c'mon guys, a crossbow doesn't stand a chance when you can hunt with a weapon that uses gun powder to launch its projectile instead. So what ... big deal ... we can use a crossbow during the same season as a shotgun or muzzleloader! Give me a break ... crossbows are not guns, and the only advantage one has over "traditional" archery equipment is that you don't have to hold back the weight of the limbs when under force. I've been hunting with a crossbow since the late 90s due to an impairment in my shoulder, and I can tell you firsthand that crossbows challenge a hunter more than other forms of archery tackle ... just try packing one through the woods all day and you'll understand what I mean ... and I say this after hunting with both recurve and compound bows (and I'm speaking of hand-held bows, not x-bows) for nearly 20 years previous to that!

I guess there's nothing wrong with dreaming ... and who knows, maybe we'll get someone in power who has an understanding of hunting and institue crossbows into archery season ... where they deserve to be!!!!!

PS I like the comment someone said earlier on this forum, where the person says that they hope we have a crossbow season once he is too old and worn-out to hunt with regular archery equipment any longer. Let's face it, our bodies wear out in time, but that doesn't mean we have to quit hunting does it? Apparently, if you live in Alberta, it does. But if Alberta opened crossbows up to all forms of archery seasons, we definitely wouldn't have to quit a sport that brings so much enjoyment to our lives. And isn't that what living in a democracry means ... to live life to the fullest and enjoymeny TO ALL?!!!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 AM

Ive heard that crossbows will not have there own season anytime in the near future heard this first hand from alberta conservation
Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Banned

hey packhuntr, will 99% let off get you by in the meantime?

http://conceptarchery.com/

dunno bout you but glad the compound bows made their way in the day as i'm looking forward to my new monster xlr8 which should be doing 345 plus fps with 365 grains for me,

i'd be a lot more worried the latest in compound technology than crossbow inclusion lol, between true 100 yrd capability/power from todays compounds (funny, isn't that the crossbow argument) and or 99% let off i think the compounds will put anything over that is teetering on the edge of going to draw....

and its the type of guys who shoot compounds seriously that will do it too, not anyone who grabs a crossbow, so might as well let them in so the option is there for those less 'kick azz' compound guys like me and you can get in the game too....

when it makes sense.....it just makes sense
Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicker View Post
Ive heard that crossbows will not have there own season anytime in the near future heard this first hand from alberta conservation
Alberta Conservation? Who's that?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 PM

If I set the trigger on my .270win at, oh, say 60 lbs, could I have my own season? One no one else could hunt in because, damn, it's really hard to pull that trigger?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

pack, i meant that me and you ARE kick azz compound guys, i could see how that reads different, oops
Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Gone Hunting

I figured you would throw that 99% let off bow into your reply,, that I knew was gonna show up. Im not feeling long winded enough to argue any of this, so I will bow out, besides, you know how I feel anyways so for me to continue would be redundant.

BTW, I'm surely no kick azz bow guy, quite the contrary actually,,, I'm pretty marginal at everything ive ever attempted. In the end, no matter what changes may or may not come along, I will continue to use a bow in archery seasons,, and in that light you are right,,, bow hunters use bows and will continue to do so.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 02-04-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicker View Post

One of the proposals being put forward by the Alberta Game Management Advisory Group is to legalize crossbows in all archery seasons.
Also to increase the numbers afield during the tail end of archery season they're also proposing coinsiding muzzle loader seasons during the archery season prior to rifle hunts (Oct 15 - 30).
They want to see this in print by 2011.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
One of the proposals being put forward by the Alberta Game Management Advisory Group is to legalize crossbows in all archery seasons.
Also to increase the numbers afield during the tail end of archery season they're also proposing coinsiding muzzle loader seasons during the archery season prior to rifle hunts (Oct 15 - 30).
They want to see this in print by 2011.
that sounds great but a boomstick is taking it too far imo, definitely not a bow, guess gotta make room for it if people want it though its effectiveness will be 98% of the rifles so an extra 50% of rifle season will surely get the draws a comin,

maybe we bow hunters (crossbows included of course as its a bow) can get a proposal through to get a week back at the start of archery seasons the wednesday BEFORE the long weekend instead of AFTER.....should give a bunch more velvet opportunity should that ever happen! good idea right? see....why not make things a win win?