Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Banned

Default Survival during the Eastern Icestorms

Well,I watched on the news today where guys were standing in their yards at - 14 whining about how they didn`t have Hydro and were going to lose all the meat in their freezers.Ontario Gov is handing out gift certificates to them.
Did it not occur to the dummies that they could take the meat out of the freezer,move the freezer into the yard and put the meat back in? Or at least box it up and stash it out in the 4 feet of snow they have there?
God,those idiots will freeze and starve in the dark.Not enough farmboys back East.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Well,I watched on the news today where guys were standing in their yards at - 14 whining about how they didn`t have Hydro and were going to lose all the meat in their freezers.Ontario Gov is handing out gift certificates to them.
Did it not occur to the dummies that they could take the meat out of the freezer,move the freezer into the yard and put the meat back in? Or at least box it up and stash it out in the 4 feet of snow they have there?
God,those idiots will freeze and starve in the dark.Not enough farmboys back East.
Ontario actually accounts for probably 25% of the farms in Canada. It has a huge agricultural industry operated by guess who? Farm boys! *******! And there's about 13 million people there so you can guarantee you'd be able to find an idiot or two! Ignorance and stupidity are synonyms! So I guess you've got something in common with them!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM

let the games begin..........
Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM

Ontario, the new Have Not province.

Grizz
Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Ontario actually accounts for probably 25% of the farms in Canada. It has a huge agricultural industry operated by guess who? Farm boys! *******! And there's about 13 million people there so you can guarantee you'd be able to find an idiot or two! Ignorance and stupidity are synonyms! So I guess you've got something in common with them!
Lost all your freezer meat once in the winter too eh?Guess I hit a nerve.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
This is exactly what we've been thinking in our household. WT...? Even for those in a condo- most have balconies... so what is the problem? And for fridge food, just crack a window in a far bedroom and put everything on a high dresser; use the basement; get creative- you can get that 4 degrees somewhere someway. I use our front porch/entrance for extra fridge space every single winter.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 PM

I had a much bigger problem with racoons and other critters living in the city than I ever did in the country.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 PM

Default critters

So then they've got ready access to fresh food.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Lost all your freezer meat once in the winter too eh?Guess I hit a nerve.
Haha yup exactly! No it's the ignorance that pizzs me off! And the 'coons are crazy down there, once one finds meat the hoard follows, but you wouldn't know that. And the farm boy comment is a real beaut! Know your country, it's a amazing place!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Trap the coons, then you got fresh meat and pelts for clothes.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Well, I'm in a city and all we have are coyotes and rabbits... no problem to my food (but I don't put it out at the edge of the yard just sitting on top of the snow either).
Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Haha yup exactly! No it's the ignorance that pizzs me off! And the 'coons are crazy down there, once one finds meat the hoard follows, but you wouldn't know that. And the farm boy comment is a real beaut! Know your country, it's a amazing place!
I pretend to know my country,,, and I'm guessing you are from east of Saskatchewan???
Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead View Post
I pretend to know my country,,, and I'm guessing you are from east of Saskatchewan???
Nope born bred Albertan. Family came during the 1905 migration to the peace country. Lived in northwestern Ontario for awhile, 1600 Kms from Toronto so nowhere near the effected people. What I do know is most people aren't stupid once you know the full story. It's easy to be a critic when you don't know the story. This is a pretty big disaster down there and we choose to refer to them as dummies instead of people on hard times. And coyotes are no comparison to raccoons. Pictures ten pound aggressive rats with the iq of the average dog.

Also remember it was the farm boys in Ontario that bailed us out in the early 2000's when our hay harvest went to ****. They were charging 40 a round when we were charging each other hundreds!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Nope born bred Albertan. Family came during the 1905 migration to the peace country. Lived in northwestern Ontario for awhile, 1600 Kms from Toronto so nowhere near the effected people. What I do know is most people aren't stupid once you know the full story. It's easy to be a critic when you don't know the story. This is a pretty big disaster down there and we choose to refer to them as dummies instead of people on hard times. And coyotes are no comparison to raccoons. Pictures ten pound aggressive rats with the iq of the average dog.

Also remember it was the farm boys in Ontario that bailed us out in the early 2000's when our hay harvest went to ****. They were charging 40 a round when we were charging each other hundreds!
was not saying this was not a disaster, but when people complain they are freezing and they had to throw out their freezer food because it spoiled,,, well, coyotes and raccoons are everywhere, and if your freezer quits in the middle of Toronto and somebody is worried about coyotes and raccoons wrecking their day???? they have to much time on their hands JUST TO WORRY....
Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
And coyotes are no comparison to raccoons. Pictures ten pound aggressive rats with the iq of the average dog.
I should start a raccoon thread,, sorry for the derail; Raccoons are like Rats with thumbs, and every problem they encounter they seek a solution,, give them time and they'd figure out how to pick a lock. And, at that end of the country they're quite stout like, not runty like the B.C ones.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 PM

The simplistic us vs them diatribes never cease to amaze.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 PM

Amazing critters.

Had a half-dozen of them surrounding our ON provincial park drive-in campsite once, eyes shining at the fireglow's edge, ready to pounce and drag the kids off to be devoured by the lake.

Seriously though, they are a foe to be reckoned with.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
I should start a raccoon thread,, sorry for the derail; Raccoons are like Rats with thumbs, and every problem they encounter they seek a solution,, give them time and they'd figure out how to pick a lock. And, at that end of the country they're quite stout like, not runty like the B.C ones.
And not the least bit afraid of you. Blew me away how they would stand their ground to you. Nothing like a coyote.

Between raccoons and stray cats you wouldn't have much of your freezer left if you just put it outside.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I read that and couldn't believe it. I'm thinking those guys that were complaining had man purses? Oh yeah...murses as my daughter calls them.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:42 PM

Anything that's not tied down once the lights go off quickly disappears.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Amazing critters.

Had a half-dozen of them surrounding our ON provincial park drive-in campsite once, eyes shining at the fireglow's edge, ready to pounce and drag the kids off to be devoured by the lake.

Seriously though, they are a foe to be reckoned with.
Exactly. They drag the kids to the lake because they wash their food first. at least the kids would have a bath.

I understand there is a movement underway to collect alcohol heaters to melt the snow so the coons can wash their food. Usually they hibernate in da winter up Nort, but some one sent a memo out on the racoon telegraph alerting them of free food.

Now I understand that the place is crawling with them

True story. My mom who is older than Moses lives in Ontario. Sometimes when I call her I say ' stephen Harper " and it gives me time to make dinner for the family while she rants on and on.
Last call she said her area was missed by the storm, but she heard some people had food in their freezers that they were worried about because of the power outages. I asked why don't they just put it in coolers or boxes etc. outside in a garage or shed etc.

She replied " Typical Conservative response. Why the heck doesn't that #$%%^^&& harper give them some money to replace the food"

I asked "Where would the money come from and where would they get the food or keep it if the power was out?"

"Another typical Conservative response. Don't you think Alberta should help out?"

"Sorry mom, we're real busy cleaning up the tar sands.

Is it a bad thing when your mom hangs up the phone on you?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-01-2014, 03:05 PM

I use my porch as a fridge and my back yard as a freezer all the time. I don't know why SOME people would rather complain to the news than look after themselves. I find the lack of complaints of water pipes freezing odd. Maybe that's next weeks news story.