Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2021, 12:52 AM

Default Does this cross a line?

Not sure how to feel. Is it just me or is this very weird and maybe going too far? What do you think?

https://www.columbian.com/news/2021/...-VFnTfU3jG59CY
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 01-30-2021 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:01 AM
Banned

I think you just stumbled across how I’d like to part this world use me as fertilizer for some massive pot plants. I like it!
Old 01-30-2021, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I think you just stumbled across how I’d like to part this world use me as fertilizer for some massive pot plants. I like it!
Wonder what they would call the strain that grew in you? See, it sounds weird.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-30-2021, 03:44 AM
Gone Hunting

Seems like a proper end for some don't you think, namely those who are already full of organic bovine fertilizer.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-30-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Not sure how to feel. Is it just me or is this very weird and maybe going too far? What do you think?

https://www.columbian.com/news/2021/...-VFnTfU3jG59CY
I'd do it. No different to getting cremated & having my wife or kids sprinkle my ashes in the garden or out in the mountains
Old 01-30-2021, 06:59 AM

Seems ok to me. I told my kids to use my remains as bait, maybe get a nice coyote or black bear out of it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-30-2021, 07:24 AM

Man, even that method is expensive, can a person even escape being price-gouged after death?

I’ve always thought that our traditional burial methods were bizarre in that people think it’s OK to occupy some real estate in perpetuity, in 110 years there won’t be a soul alive that ever knew you, but you’ll still be occupying that real estate. Cremation or this ‘recycling’ thing seems to be the way to go, based on my philosophy of not taking up space that’s intended for the living. Picture in 100 years how much space would be taken by traditional cemeteries considering earths population explosion in the past century....

Consider that all of our burial options are rather arbitrary and they just became traditional over time. Of course, the funeral industry has played a hand in what has become expected when you consider it. I’m sure there are lots of other ways practiced globally; so far as I’m concerned, the more natural, the better.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-30-2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:35 AM

I think I’m ok with it, when you think about it if you do a full burial, you get pumped full of embalming fluid, then put in an casket, that casket gets put in a concrete vault, that’s 8 feet under ground. And in the winter it is cold out in your plot.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:07 AM

In Canada we have enough land to bury every Canadian for a few million years. Bury me on my favorite elk mountain so I can watch the sun rise each morning.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Man, even that method is expensive, can a person even escape being price-gouged after death?

I’ve always thought that our traditional burial methods were bizarre in that people think it’s OK to occupy some real estate in perpetuity, in 110 years there won’t be a soul alive that ever knew you, but you’ll still be occupying that real estate. Cremation or this ‘recycling’ thing seems to be the way to go, based on my philosophy of not taking up space that’s intended for the living. Picture in 100 years how much space would be taken by traditional cemeteries considering earths population explosion in the past century....

Consider that all of our burial options are rather arbitrary and they just became traditional over time. Of course, the funeral industry has played a hand in what has become expected when you consider it. I’m sure there are lots of other ways practiced globally; so far as I’m concerned, the more natural, the better.
In a lot of Europe a grave is yours for 70 years then it’s reused. The idea being that anyone who might wish to visit is dead and gone too. These old cemeteries get cleaned out of bones every now and then. These churches with all the bone decoration are a good reuse of bones.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

No biggie...if that's what the family wants and it's a viable option for them then so be it.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-30-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
In Canada we have enough land to bury every Canadian for a few million years. Bury me on my favorite elk mountain so I can watch the sun rise each morning.
We have that luxury, most of the world doesn't. They're basically falling over each other and too stupid to see it can't continue.

Grizz
Old 01-30-2021, 09:10 AM

Local cemetery here is free. Just a field someone donated, with nice silly soil. Either the family digs the hole or Joe turns up with his hoe. Homemade box or blanket wrap. Job done. Zero dollar, maybe a couple of blisters.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:39 AM

Owned by organized crime? I kid, this is very common in the horse world as an aside.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Seems ok to me. I told my kids to use my remains as bait, maybe get a nice coyote or black bear out of it.

Really? I'd have thought the yotes were a little more discriminating in that neck of the woods but hey. I guess if one was starving and riddled with mange some scotch infused jerky might be semi palatable.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

I just heard the lloydminster crematorium is charging $3000 to make you fit in an urn. Apparently without $15,000-45,000 high end funerals everyone is feeling the crunch, and brand new specialty limo's cost real money.

I am disgusted seeing ads on facebook constantly going after 'for a paltry $250 per person monthly we will insure your funeral costs up to $50,000...'

I told my wife if she finds me cold to warm me up in a pit with a bunch of diesel fuel and a lighter. There has to be a way to facilitate that. Still working out logistics

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-30-2021, 10:28 AM

I don’t know if that would be for me but it was an interesting read. I guess what happens after I die doesn’t really matter....I’m dead.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I just heard the lloydminster crematorium is charging $3000 to make you fit in an urn. Apparently without $15,000-45,000 high end funerals everyone is feeling the crunch, and brand new specialty limo's cost real money.

I am disgusted seeing ads on facebook constantly going after 'for a paltry $250 per person monthly we will insure your funeral costs up to $50,000...'

I told my wife if she finds me cold to warm me up in a pit with a bunch of diesel fuel and a lighter. There has to be a way to facilitate that. Still working out logistics

Years ago, a lady wrote a book called The American Way of Death, an exposé of the funeral business, not pretty.

Grizz
Old 01-30-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Years ago, a lady wrote a book called The American Way of Death, an exposé of the funeral business, not pretty.

Grizz
When my Wife's Dad passed, there was a roast beef lunch for 75 people, prepaid. Her Mom has already paid for hers as well, and it will be the same. If she passed tomorrow, do you think $.01c will be paid back to the family for all the things that are not going to happen? Better chance of flapping your arms and flying to the moon.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-30-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Really? I'd have thought the yotes were a little more discriminating in that neck of the woods but hey. I guess if one was starving and riddled with mange some scotch infused jerky might be semi palatable.
I wasn't suggesting that it was going to be particularly tasty bait, but with a few days to ripen it might get some hits. And who doesn't like scotch jerky?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-30-2021, 12:43 PM

So we're encouraged to eat plant protein to save the planet.
Now this.
Next Soylent Green?
Old 01-30-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I wasn't suggesting that it was going to be particularly tasty bait, but with a few days to ripen it might get some hits. And who doesn't like scotch jerky?
If there's no hits at least the family could stock up on maggots for ice fishing season.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
If there's no hits at least the family could stock up on maggots for ice fishing season.
Ouch, bro.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:10 AM

Going too far or crossing a line? Why? Who cares if someone wants that? Some could think spending big $ on church services is going too far. Burn me, mix my ashes with some lead, pour it into jigheads and go fishing.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post