Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Banned

hey, your full of surprises, thought for sure i'd see high fivin smilin thumbs up kinda field pics

nice trophies btw

in answer to your second post

Quote:
They don't feed correctly (and they don't),
really? what are you talking about? they couldn't feed any slicker in a rifle designed in times since they were available, stands to reason they might not feed well in 'older' design rifles base on the more tapered longer/skinnier bullet designs from waaaaay back.......do you even ackowledge rifles that can feed those things slicker than greased minnows? there's a few out there that do

i guess my timing to throw some similar feedback on the comments you post about other peoples gun/action/stock/cartridge choices(mine included) was terrible with this short mag thread? i should have only addressed this one thing only (the short mag thing)...thats my problem, i concede, i'm completely mistaken and apologize for saying that we all know where chuck stands as clearly we don't (i mean 'i' don't), this is all new and great info you keep passing along and i love those 'friendly' little jabs about our riflery choices you throw out here and there
Old 07-12-2010, 02:18 PM

I love my 11GCNS in 270wsm. I've used 30-30,270,30-06 in the past for deer and the 270wsm is by far my favorite out of all of them. Only drawback is magazine holds 2 rounds so last year when 5 deer came out to me, 2 got away. Oh well they'll be bigger this year! Eveyone is gonna have different opinions on what they prefer to use, that's what separates us as individuals.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Nice critters Chuck. You gonna get blasted about the direction of your muzzle in a couple of the pics. Been there.
Ahh. the self righteous and politically correct. Don't worry I've heard it before and take pictures differently now days.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-12-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post

really? what are you talking about? they couldn't feed any slicker in a rifle designed in times since they were available, stands to reason they might not feed well in 'older' design rifles base on the more tapered longer/skinnier bullet designs from waaaaay back.......do you even ackowledge rifles that can feed those things slicker than greased minnows? there's a few out there that do
I've worked with rifles that were specifically built around the WSM family of cartridges that fed like pure garbage.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Ahh. the self righteous and politically correct. Don't worry I've heard it before and take pictures differently now days.
Good lord you come across as a twisted and bitter little fellow! When I said "been there" I meant I have albums full of the same pictures that lots of people like to complain about. Nuttin to get huffy about Chuck. Relax, go pet your Model 70!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I've worked with rifles that were specifically built around the WSM family of cartridges that fed like pure garbage.
To bad the builder wasn't good at his job.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Good lord you come across as a twisted and bitter little fellow! When I said "been there" I meant I have albums full of the same pictures that lots of people like to complain about. Nuttin to get huffy about Chuck. Relax, go pet your Model 70!
I wasn't referring to you in any way shape or form. I've had these very pictures given the what for before.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
To bad the builder wasn't good at his job.
Do you want me to start naming names?

These builders also include companies.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

stinky, thats funny right there...i dont care who ya are! and 209.....absolutely correct.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 PM

You do what you feel you have too chuck, but when the Winchester, Browning and Sako (the brands I've had personally) can all get a smooth feeding wsm out the door, I believe anyone can.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantGet Right View Post
I love my 11GCNS in 270wsm. I've used 30-30,270,30-06 in the past for deer and the 270wsm is by far my favorite out of all of them. Only drawback is magazine holds 2 rounds so last year when 5 deer came out to me, 2 got away. Oh well they'll be bigger this year! Eveyone is gonna have different opinions on what they prefer to use, that's what separates us as individuals.
what kind of gun do you have that only holds 2 rounds in the mag? my browning holds 3, and feeds as smooth as any gun ive picked up.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:38 PM

ISB,

I'd be interested to know what features you think make the WSM lineup?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

now chuck, it sounds as though you are making the leap to assuming i think the WSM family is the be all end all of cartridges. i dont.....but they do suit me very well. when i went rifle shopping for that gun i had a few things in my head that i was looking for and what sold me on the gun i bought was simply the fact it came in a short action which made it a lighter gun to carry. the lighter weight was appealing, as was the longer range capabilty over other short action calibers that i could have chosen. again, for my style of hunting in the terrain i prefer to hunt, it was the best fit.....FOR ME. its that simple.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
now chuck, it sounds as though you are making the leap to assuming i think the WSM family is the be all end all of cartridges. i dont.....but they do suit me very well. when i went rifle shopping for that gun i had a few things in my head that i was looking for and what sold me on the gun i bought was simply the fact it came in a short action which made it a lighter gun to carry. the lighter weight was appealing, as was the longer range capabilty over other short action calibers that i could have chosen. again, for my style of hunting in the terrain i prefer to hunt, it was the best fit.....FOR ME. its that simple.
What is the weight difference in rifles and range advantage of the cartridge?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

the weight difference in the guns i was comparing was...if i remember right....13 ounces. the titanium was lighter yet, but the camo stock of the browning was in my opinion too ugly, and they dont offer it in black. the range difference for my shooting ability is irrelevant in the guns i was considering (.270 win), but the energy of the projectile within my comfortable shooting range (to about 400) was enough for me to believe that its a good thing.

you seem to be fishing for something to argue about chuck. im not interested in that. the difference between you and i here is that although i have my preference in what is suitable for myself, i dont try to ram my thoughts down anyone's throat, or tell them their choices are wrong or their equipment is junk.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
what kind of gun do you have that only holds 2 rounds in the mag? my browning holds 3, and feeds as smooth as any gun ive picked up.
Savage hunter model 11GCNS, short action holds 2 in the magazine. Bought the rifle before I found that out. No big deal to me really, always try to make a good first shot anyway.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
i did a ton of homework before i bought mine, was the wsm a fad?, would it be around longer than me and which wsm would be the most likely to survive the times?, then rifle choice once i was sure on cartridge choice...and cartridge choice for me was pretty much a ballistic choice and short action for weight was a second factor.....not a fad or because it was 'new and cool' choice, pretty much any of the rifles designed originally back in the day were hit and miss if you'd get a smooth one or not and have to do some 'smoothing'...all the ones with traditional floor plate type magazines were for sure ones to watch out for....i looked at kimbers also but ran into enough reports of feeding on those that i didn't want to play the lottery....so that left me looking for straightline feed rifles of recent design etc. and had several perfect choices for what i wanted to do....
Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
pretty much any of the rifles designed originally back in the day were hit and miss if you'd get a smooth one or not and have to do some 'smoothing'...all the ones with traditional floor plate type magazines were for sure ones to watch out for
What in the world are you talking about?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM

to whom?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantGet Right View Post
Savage hunter model 11GCNS, short action holds 2 in the magazine. Bought the rifle before I found that out. No big deal to me really, always try to make a good first shot anyway.
is that a detatchable clip or a drop floorplate?

wait....savage has some guns that only feed/eject from the top. maybe one of those?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering about this remark too? What does a traditional floor plate design have to do with the smoothness of the action?

I have a 1908 Brasil Mauser in 7mil Mauser with an action that's a smooth as butter after 100 years. Used to have a Swedish M96 that I still regret selling, same thing.

As for the WSM debate. Might as well voice my opinion here too with the same comment I made on CGN about this article.
Somewhere between 100 and 110 years ago the design for the ideal cartridge for a bolt action rifle became history: 6.5 Swede, 7mil Mauser, 30-06...
Nothing since has really made any real improvement in design for hunting with bolt action rifles; all hype and marketing.

Loads, manufacturing and quality have improved. Design?
Having said that, I like my 7mm08.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
is that a detatchable clip or a drop floorplate?

wait....savage has some guns that only feed/eject from the top. maybe one of those?
It has a detachable clip,24" barrel and a very smooth action as well. The only other wsm I'm aware of that has a 2 shot clip is the browning bar safari semi auto. I also have an a-bolt 223wssm that I got last year, and ya it holds 3 in the clip, first thing I checked this time. Takes a little getting used to the 60 degree bolt but its a nice shooter too.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Banned

so how does the super short feed. ive never heard of a feeding problem in a short mag, but i have in a super short. of course the guy who told me about it was mad at everything about that gun. he handloaded starting at a published max load and got pressure signs and got it in his head that the gun was no good.

hey chuck...do you hate the lazzeroni cartridges too, or is it just the WSM's that ruffle your feathers?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
so how does the super short feed. ive never heard of a feeding problem in a short mag, but i have in a super short. of course the guy who told me about it was mad at everything about that gun. he handloaded starting at a published max load and got pressure signs and got it in his head that the gun was no good.

hey chuck...do you hate the lazzeroni cartridges too, or is it just the WSM's that ruffle your feathers?
I don't hate any of them. I believe the words I used were "not a fan" which caused some of you to come virtually unglued. But no I would not own a rifle chambered for a Lazzeroni cartridge.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
feeding issues with wsms, of course

i did quote the part where you said yourself you worked with some that fed like pure garbage, and there were lots of reports on the interweb of same thing when i started doing my homework a few years ago, so those were the rifles and as it turned out certain type of rifles (hinged floorplate angle feed designs so common and designed well before wsm's came around)....do i have to search and post links again? i hope not, was long time ago, but the gist is still in my head, just like the gist of how people post etc. stays in my head, my memory isn't that bad

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 07-13-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 AM

[QUOTE=ishootbambi;628896]so how does the super short feed. ive never heard of a feeding problem in a short mag, but i have in a super short. of course the guy who told me about it was mad at everything about that gun. he handloaded starting at a published max load and got pressure signs and got it in his head that the gun was no good.

I've never had any problems chambering or ejecting shells from the super short however the action does slide a fair bit harder compared to the wsm.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

i understand that 223 WSSM is becoming quite a favorite among deer hunters in southern states where legal. do they cut coyotes in half or can you salvage some fur with that thing?

and chuck...i wouldnt own a lazzeroni cartridge either....at least not until i win the lottery. too expensive for this cat, but WOW are they some kinda cool.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:34 PM
sheephunter

Sometimes shooting a cartridge because it's new and fun is enough...at least for me.

Not really sure I found an outdated article by a writer with tunnel vision all that interesting though. Different strokes I guess.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Sometimes shooting a cartridge because it's new and fun is enough...
Amen.... enough already

DB
Old 07-14-2010, 05:23 AM

Honestly I haven't got to test the 223 wssm much on live targets. Only got a scope on it this spring, been told it should be a great yote gun. Only been using it on groundhogs so far(turns them inside out) I may give it a whirl on deer in the fall too just for s**ts to see how it performs.