Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 AM

Siberian Husky is the breed I would go with. They are one of the most ancient of the dogs and for kids they are one of the best! This breed was specificialy bread to by good around children for thousands of years the Siberian people wanted two specific jobs for there dogs a fast strong dog that could pull over vast distances and breeding was specificialy picked on dogs that where great around children as the dogs took care of the children in the village when no one was around. This is one of the quietest breeds of dogs as they hardly make any noise and if they do they can make some pretty neat sounds as out of all the dogs they have vocal corded that are close to ours. It is one of the few breeds that is considered to be a supper dog! They where prized by the American army during ww2 for there ability for search and rescue. Only thing is I would recommend u get 2 as they love to be in a pack.

Just my 2 cents do what u want with it but just giving u some info that might sway your decision. Also these dogs are extremely smart and can be trained to do pretty much anything. First time I had my big guy out pheasant hunting with a friend who has gsp he caught on quick to what we where doing and he was pointing birds before the gsp on few occasions. There nose and natural ability is unmatched imo by any other breed. Also if it is minus 40 out they are right at hom and will run around like it's summer.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkonthemind View Post
.....It is one of the few breeds that is considered to be a supper dog!
Are most dogs more of the breakfast type?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:49 AM

I would go with a Lab, mine loves to go for rides in the truck, loves to run with the quad, go fishing, follows me around everywhere, I was never into bird hunting either but he got me started because of his interest in any kind of birds right from the start. He's also very protective of our house/ acreage, has a loud deep bark and won't let up if anyone or anything comes around he doesn't like. He has even been known to dive paws first into the door if any stranger is standing there. He will calm down after we assure him it's okay or that whoever is there is welcome. Our Golden Retriever is also a great dog, she pretty much loves to do everything listed above other than she is a little more stubborn and doesn't always like to listen to me right away. Also in my experience she is much to friendly to be a guard dog, unlike her Lab brother she is very excited to see any people and very welcoming. All i can say is I'm glad my Lab is there to be the guard dog.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Great Pyreneese if you want the ulitimate outdoor protector that wont ever be mistaken for a wolf...
This or any other style of guardian dog. They'll keep the kids safe, and if your wife gets chickens or other farm animals, it'll keep them safe too...
Old 02-06-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
I'm glad to know THAT! which I didn't till just now.
I'm always sickened at the thought of unwanted pups being killed off before they even had a chance at life.

How long does the SPCA and AARCS etc, keep them?
Watch for bad habits in rescue dogs, or other grown dogs. That's the #1 reason that people get rid of them...
Old 02-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Banned

Just curious if the guys that are fans of Pyrenees live on acerages or farms? I've never had one and they seem like great farm dogs if you've got no neighbors. The neighbor brought one when they moved in. We couldn't sleep with the window open during the summer. Damn thing never stopped barking. It wasn't to bad when it roamed and it did roam. Finally the thing died. Thankfully.

Other neighbor has 2. Same thing but at least they're a mile away instead of 1/2 mile. These dogs cause problems. Caught them chasing my cows once and deer as well. When I do see them again they'll be getting a 115 gr tune up.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but as for constantly barking dogs on acreages, I disagree.

With all the acreage thefts going on lately, and the scum always getting away with it, I would think that neighbors would appreciate dogs barking "all the time" so that the slime might think someone will hear and be on the lookout, and think twice about approaching the property they intend to rob.

Even "stuck" where I've been for gawd knows how long, I don't mind at all when the neighborhood dogs bark a lot - even the little tiny yappy ones.

Any slimeballs "casing" the neighborhood know there's dogs everywhere and get worried enough to look for 'easier pickings' somewhere else.

JMO
Trust me not everyone likes a dog constantly barking? That is just flawed thinking. You need to also respect neighbours that don't want a mutt yipping non-stop is what I'm trying to say. Maybe when you live on 160 acres, but not 5 acres. Thats just a big city lot. If your annoying dog barking ended at your property line, I'd be all for you having a dog, unfortunately I also get to listen to it at my house. Bylaw officers are run off their feet dealing with barking dog issues, so not everyone 'loves it'!!! If a human disturbed the peace as much as many dogs do, the police would be on your doorstep with handcuffs. I know people that had dogs in the garage to prevent theft, guys broke in, stole his truck and tools while the german shepards watched. So the rebuttal is, get a real mean one, well then it ends up ripping a kids face off, get a security system and a security gate, to hell with the barking, crapping, yard destroying mutt.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Just curious if the guys that are fans of Pyrenees live on acerages or farms? I've never had one and they seem like great farm dogs if you've got no neighbors. The neighbor brought one when they moved in. We couldn't sleep with the window open during the summer. Damn thing never stopped barking. It wasn't to bad when it roamed and it did roam. Finally the thing died. Thankfully.

Other neighbor has 2. Same thing but at least they're a mile away instead of 1/2 mile. These dogs cause problems. Caught them chasing my cows once and deer as well. When I do see them again they'll be getting a 115 gr tune up.
I've got an akbash. She's pretty good. Patrols about 80 acres of territory. The coyotes sure run if she sees them in her territory, and she barks. She's about 135 pounds. Farms all around have been hit by thefts, but ours hasn't.

Haven't lost a calf to a coyote since I got her either...
Old 02-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Banned

Ive got a bernaise x. Great dog. I think she 110lb. She don't bark much but is always vigilant. When she does bark I know something is up which is better then a dog constantly barking. She's pure black and I can see that she would be very unnerving to the cuzzins from the lake. Especially in the dark when she shows her pearly whites.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Airedale, the larger type if you can find them. Best babysitter we ever had. Not afraid to chase off bears, coyotes etc. Not much bark in them and they have a thick cold weather coat if you let it grow out. An unwavering stare from a 90 lb Airedale can unnerve most strangers.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:38 AM

I have a rescue dog and she is part Lab, Shepard, and Wolf cross. Have had her for 12 years. She was raised in a dog fighting kennel. Is she protective? no! she loves people, unless they have a dog with them and then it is instant kill. To answer your question, I would not go with a rescue dog, I would, but in your situation, no. Just make sure the dog wants you and it will adapt. As to what breed, I do not know. Wish I could be of more help. But I lean toward a mutt, heavy mutt maybe 75 to 125 lbs.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:09 PM

I have a large Pyr male on an acreage, and will be getting a Maremma pup fairly soon. They are similar to Pyrs, a little smaller, and don't roam as much... according to breed description. We'll find out soon enough. I had to put my old girl (Pyr/Maremma -13yrs) down last month.

They call Pyrs "Disapyrs" for a reason. They do tend to roam, but they come back. Mine has gone after Coyotes a few times and it took awhile to track him down. They're stubborn dogs, but with patience will learn to recall and stop roaming. It helps if you're more stubborn than they are.

I'm quite confident my Pyr will stay within his boundaries now. I've watched him chase deer to the edge of his territory and he stops as soon as they're off HIS land.

We're also the only property in the subdivision that hasn't been hit by thieves.

The neighbour has a trail cam pics of his Golden Retriever wagging his tail and getting pets from a thief before he drove off in the neighbour's jeep.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:33 PM

I vote rescue as well. We "foster-failed" our current dog - a Lab/Bouvier cross. He looks like a ~120lb black lab and is the most loyal, trusting, and well behaved dog I've ever owned. He's protective of our family, and only barks when there's a reason to.

When we got him from the rescue society we fostered for (Misty Creek for anyone that cares), he was filthy and apparently came from a horrible environment. He was approximately 1 year old, and only weighed 79lbs. He had never been on a leash, or apparently in a home. In the 2.5 years we've now had him, he's had two accidents in the house. He had a brother that was up for adoption/foster at the same time, and from the discussions we've had with his family, that dog is a very similar temperament to ours.

We live on ~3.5 acres near the center of Okotoks and he rarely leaves the property. He will chase the deer off "his property" to the fence line, and stop there. I've witnessed him chase coyotes to the property line as well, but never further.

There are plenty of rescue foundations throughout Alberta. Some, like AARCS, are more public and visible to the eye. Do some googling and keep your eye out - you wouldn't believe some of the animals that come in. My Mom also rescued a dog from Misty Creek (we believe she's a Papillon purebred), and she's turned out to be a wonderful dog for my Mom as well.

Regards,

CF
Old 02-06-2018, 02:12 PM

German wire-haired pointer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011laramie View Post
Hey guys thanks for all the replies.

I want a yard dog that can hop in the cab of the truck and go for a drive, or can hop on the boat and come fishing. Im not looking for a bird dog or a serious aggressive dog. Just want a buddy. Oh and one that wont eat the cats.

As a kid i had a black lab st bernard cross that would hangout in the shop and hang around the yard but also liked going for quad trips across the 1/4 section.

I do want a dog that will bark if someone is in my yard though.
I would look into a labX of some sort, should be lots to choose from and not to expensive. Dads got a 3/4lab 1/4bernize mtn on acreage. Big, friendly and will bark when we get there.

Australian sheppard I really like, awesome family dog and can take her anywhere. She will bark at coyotes, never leaves yard except with us. She's 10 now so we got another one so she could train her a bit and she is 1/2lab, 1/4 Aussie and 1/4 retriever. Price was right (free) and seems good, but she's only 4mths old.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Banned

Curious where you're dad got the bernaise cross? I got one from chetwynd. It's a great dog. Thinking I'd like another.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
Trust me not everyone likes a dog constantly barking? That is just flawed thinking. You need to also respect neighbours that don't want a mutt yipping non-stop is what I'm trying to say. Maybe when you live on 160 acres, but not 5 acres. Thats just a big city lot. If your annoying dog barking ended at your property line, I'd be all for you having a dog, unfortunately I also get to listen to it at my house. Bylaw officers are run off their feet dealing with barking dog issues, so not everyone 'loves it'!!! If a human disturbed the peace as much as many dogs do, the police would be on your doorstep with handcuffs. I know people that had dogs in the garage to prevent theft, guys broke in, stole his truck and tools while the german shepards watched. So the rebuttal is, get a real mean one, well then it ends up ripping a kids face off, get a security system and a security gate, to hell with the barking, crapping, yard destroying mutt.
I agree, and I have a dog. Difference is that he doesn't bark. Period.

My late father used to joke that you could tell a new acreage owner by the multiple project vehicles in the yard and the three dogs running around barking at everything under the sun.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-07-2018, 12:06 PM

border collie husky cross have had three of this mix great dogs kids cattle chickens good with all but they will get after anything if told
Old 02-07-2018, 12:14 PM

Default Dog choices

Dog choices are like your ideal female or vehicle pick. We all have opinions. I have owned many hunting breeds for upland and waterfowl hunting, Great dogs but need a lot of attention to keep from becoming bored and going off for a romp on their own. If you are not home and want a good family companion it is hard to beat a mixed breed female that has had a litter of pups in its past before becoming neurtered. Usually you are talking animal rescue dog. The mongrel critter is often a healthier animal with less issues resulting from poor line breeding . I have owned many male and female dogs but for a family situation the female dog that has had pups is more naturally protective of its adopted family without being overtly aggressive towards strangers.

As Shell used to say --your mileage may vary.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Curious where you're dad got the bernaise cross? I got one from chetwynd. It's a great dog. Thinking I'd like another.
East of La Glace after the speed corner, if ya want his info let me know, cheers.

Cabin is out in your area and he's out there a bit if ya want to see/meet the pooch, or drink wiskey lol. He's bout 90lbs and 8mths now.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
East of La Glace after the speed corner, if ya want his info let me know, cheers.

Cabin is out in your area and he's out there a bit if ya want to see/meet the pooch, or drink wiskey lol. He's bout 90lbs and 8mths now.
Not ready for another yet but the old dog is getting older and I don't know if she'll see another winter.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:51 PM

We're also looking for an acreage dog. We just moved onto 5 acres. Most of it is heavily treed and we want a dog that will protect the kids (ages 9&11) when we're not looking. Thanks for all the great info in this thread!

A few additional questions:
-We want a 100% outside dog (wife is allergic). What kind of a doghouse are you building for them? Does it need heat for cold winter nights?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:15 PM

I have a Siberian Husky on my acreage. He is always outside or in the garage. He was easy to train and is very friendly with everyone. He is big enough to look intimidating and is always alert when someone comes over. He is great with the kids as well. Like said before, in cold temps they feel right at home. Great dogs!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
We're also looking for an acreage dog. We just moved onto 5 acres. Most of it is heavily treed and we want a dog that will protect the kids (ages 9&11) when we're not looking. Thanks for all the great info in this thread!

A few additional questions:
-We want a 100% outside dog (wife is allergic). What kind of a doghouse are you building for them? Does it need heat for cold winter nights?
As far as I'm concerned you won't go wrong with a golden retriever. Preferably female. I've got a insulated dog house which does the trick but I've got 2 dogs. Don't build one to big because their body heat will keep it warm and the more area the more body heat lose. I tried hanging a piece of canvas tarp over the door but the pup kept ripping it off. Door is offset of center so they can get out of the wind and we put straw on the floor of it in the winter.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Watch for bad habits in rescue dogs, or other grown dogs. That's the #1 reason that people get rid of them...
We learned the hard way. My wife and I adopted a chocolate lab from a rescue outfit a while back.. wouldn't get into the jeep, refused to run,nipped at the grand daughters (3 and 4 yrs) bit the daughter and drew blood (She was at the kitchen counter and got bit on her backside of her leg).. that was the last straw. The dog is history and we wont be getting another any time soon.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well if your gonna put it in a garage, leave it outside etc might as well get a alarm system and a motion sensor....lots of noise and a fancy sign to go with it out front.

Me, run a lab or a buddy that hangs with you, they bark and when push comes to shove being treated as a bubbly will be there when the wolves come calling...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-25-2018, 12:53 PM

We have a Norwegian Elkhound. She’s medium sized (40lbs) and is an awesome acreage watchdog. Lets us know whenever anyone comes near our driveway or house.

She’s also a very hardy winter dog. Stays outside full time all year round (unless extreme cold of course).

She also hasn’t had any health issues to speak of in 5yrs and is an amazing mouser. Puts the neighbourhood cats to shame. Very smart, but stubborn and is overall quite independent and doesn’t require constant attention.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Great Pyreneese if you want the ulitimate outdoor protector that wont ever be mistaken for a wolf...
Great Pyreneese's are amazing outdoor dogs.
Double coated fur keeps em cool in the summer and warm in the winter so they a perfect fit for our Albertan weather.
My great pyreneese is quite protective and sometimes largely over protective of "her" property, but gets along well with my great dane as well as our kitties.
Defiantly the ultimate outdoor protector!!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:40 PM

Default Dog for an acreage.

Forgot to comment on dog houses...

If you have an outside winter dog I’ve always been told to not heat the dog house two the dog doesn’t sweat in the winter. My homebuilt house is insulated and has the smallest door my dog can possibly fit through. The roof is on a couple of huge hinges and we can open it right up for cleaning etc. It has a short divider inside to eliminate direct wind from blowing in. We fill it full of fresh straw (like a foot thick in the winter) for added comfort (no blankets or anything like that). We keep the straw in during the summer as well, just not as thick, and we clean it out every couple month later to freshen it up.

Im sure there are other tricks to dog houses but this seems to keep our dog happy and comfortable. I tried 3 times to put one of those plastic dog doors on the house but she tore it off every time within a matter of hours (no doors ever again after that)

Old 05-25-2018, 01:41 PM

Anotolian Sheppard