Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2018, 06:17 PM
artie artie is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,368
Default shaw bill

I noticed my shaw bill for internet and t.v. went up $8.50 this month. I now pay $128.50 a month for their services. It seems to me they are going to price some of us out of using their services. You would think they would notify you when your bill is going up not try and sneak it in. My rant for the day.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2018, 06:24 PM
4extreme 4extreme is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 109
Default

Its the same BS no matter who you deal with. We cut back on our service for tv about a year ago. It sucked at first but then we found other things to do. If you need tv there is always the kodi box.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2018, 06:39 PM
mooseknuckle's Avatar
mooseknuckle mooseknuckle is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,219
Default

yep brutal. my last shaw bill was $220. telus just put in fibre optic line, and they have been coming around every other week. think i may finally have a deal witb them super fast internet. 170 upload speed as uppozed to shaws 150 that is actually 4. 4!!! sharing with the neighbourhood. where as the fibre optic is a direct line. got telus down to $110 a month for 2 years then $130 after that. with home phone super internet and basic tv package with 3 wireless 4k boxes. now i can watch tv on my garage tv without running the line.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2018, 07:11 PM
The Cook The Cook is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canmore
Posts: 1,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I noticed my shaw bill for internet and t.v. went up $8.50 this month. I now pay $128.50 a month for their services. It seems to me they are going to price some of us out of using their services. You would think they would notify you when your bill is going up not try and sneak it in. My rant for the day.
After my Shaw bill kept going up and up with no rhyme nor reason we called and complained enough that we got put through to their "Loyalty Dept" ( most big outfits have one) and got our bill reduced from $125.00 per month to $100.00 guranteed for 2 years, at which time I will call back and complain again. So far it has worked twice. Squeaky wheels get the grease.
__________________
Woke up with a pulse, best day ever
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2018, 07:26 PM
kevinhits's Avatar
kevinhits kevinhits is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I noticed my shaw bill for internet and t.v. went up $8.50 this month. I now pay $128.50 a month for their services. It seems to me they are going to price some of us out of using their services. You would think they would notify you when your bill is going up not try and sneak it in. My rant for the day.
LOL...Kinda funny you mention bills creeping up. It was Telus that kept increasing my bills up to $128.00/mth for 3 of my business. I called them and bitched them out and am down to $87.00/mth and then called Shaw and got them down to the same for my other 3 locations....and also dealt with Shaw on my personal side...

All you got to is call them and work them over till they lie down

By the way, works for your insurance company as well. When I get me renewal papers, I call them and work some numbers and get my premiums down as well...It helps if you have been with them for over 20 years too..LOL
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2018, 07:40 PM
EZM's Avatar
EZM EZM is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,860
Default

All of these companies are in business to make money - and unless they think they risk loosing your business .... they will keep on creeping up your bill. Out of sight, ignored and accepted by most consumers.

Pretty sad when you get a Shaw Bill for almost $260/mo if you decide to rent one UFC fight. Crazy.

(We have a pretty basic bundle, only a few add on packages (sports channels mostly) and the upgraded internet speed).

Maybe it's time to give them a call a squeeze them a little.

Regarding the fibre optic Telus sales pitch ........ see if fibre is actually feeding your area at full capacity - if not it's like paying for 10 inch pipe into your house being fed by a 2" pipe down the street and the SCAM continues.

The scam is they sell you something that's "coming soon" to your area and you are no further ahead of where you are already going. There is actually very little fibre in the ground here in the city.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2018, 11:07 PM
fishtank fishtank is online now
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: edmonton
Posts: 1,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
After my Shaw bill kept going up and up with no rhyme nor reason we called and complained enough that we got put through to their "Loyalty Dept" ( most big outfits have one) and got our bill reduced from $125.00 per month to $100.00 guranteed for 2 years, at which time I will call back and complain again. So far it has worked twice. Squeaky wheels get the grease.
Keep calling every 6 months . That happen to me every year I have to call threaten to cancel they then lowered my bill back to the one Iam one now $40 for internet and 15 for phone line .. Iam with Telus
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2018, 06:04 AM
CantThinkOfAName's Avatar
CantThinkOfAName CantThinkOfAName is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 290
Default

With the wife on mat leave, our internet usage absolutely went through the roof (well past our data limit). Shaw offered us a deal on their cable 150 with unlimited data for $88/month on 2-year contract because we are such good, long-term customers. Telus optic isn't available for us.
I decided screw Shaw and their yearly hikes and their involvement in FairPlay Canada. I switched to TekSavvy for $70/month. They're a 3rd party that uses the big telecom distribution (like Kodoo & Virgin do with cell towers).
The rate is cheaper than Shaw for using Shaw's network in my neighbourhood. I just switched over so we will see how it pans out in the long run but so far it's fine.
I wish I could really get away from the big telecoms totally but realistically it isn't gonna happen.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2018, 07:43 AM
skidderman skidderman is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spruce Grove, AB
Posts: 2,395
Default

I phone Shaw Direct once a year, (loyalty are the only ones with authority) & get my bill down considerably. Last time I called they upped it a few bucks on my bill so I phoned again & got it lower yet. They are not hard to deal with. They will tell you for 6 mths. Tell them you want it for a year & they will give it to you. And by the way, be nice. Yelling will get you no where. I as well do this with Telus & they have reacted the same way except locked in for 2 yrs. Am very satisfied although phoning is a bit of a pain.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2018, 09:32 AM
nast70's Avatar
nast70 nast70 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 670
Default

What a timely thread. I just made a deal with Telus that included a new 4K HD tv, 4K programming with PVR (my first pvr ) with internet 50 and unlimited data for 2 years, all for $35 less than what I am paying now.
All gets installed this Sunday. No more fights between the kids watching youtube and gaming at the same time!
__________________
Long gone are the times when things were made of wood, and men made of steel.
author unknown
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 AM
Jayhad Jayhad is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
neighbourhood. where as the fibre optic is a direct line. got telus down to $110 a month for 2 years then $130 after that. with home phone super internet and basic tv package with 3 wireless 4k boxes. now i can watch tv on my garage tv without running the line.
Make sure you are getting a PVR, the PVRs aren't wireless
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-25-2018, 10:59 AM
happy honker happy honker is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,431
Default

I think I'm dropping cable as well soon. I'll get an HD antenna, so at least I'll have local news etc.
I'll miss live sports and a few things, but price for cable is out of control.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM
32-40win 32-40win is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,868
Default

Internet and a PaynTalk phone for me. They can shove cable in their kiester.
I watch, read things I want to watch or read, when I want to. No ads to put up with. Still about 100.00/mo, but, my source of entertainment is mine.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-25-2018, 11:07 AM
booboo74 booboo74 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 68
Default

My shaw invoice mentioned that the new increase was mentioned on a previous invoice, I keep my invoices and nowhere was it ever mentioned. I called and the guy immediately transferred me to the loyalty department who offered me a 2 year decrease of $116 per month. I guess they just milk who lets them
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-25-2018, 09:18 PM
jrowan jrowan is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Calgary
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantThinkOfAName View Post
With the wife on mat leave, our internet usage absolutely went through the roof (well past our data limit). Shaw offered us a deal on their cable 150 with unlimited data for $88/month on 2-year contract because we are such good, long-term customers. Telus optic isn't available for us.
I decided screw Shaw and their yearly hikes and their involvement in FairPlay Canada. I switched to TekSavvy for $70/month. They're a 3rd party that uses the big telecom distribution (like Kodoo & Virgin do with cell towers).
The rate is cheaper than Shaw for using Shaw's network in my neighbourhood. I just switched over so we will see how it pans out in the long run but so far it's fine.
I wish I could really get away from the big telecoms totally but realistically it isn't gonna happen.
I'm with Teksavvy as well for more than a year I've had zero issues. I'm on an older plan but you can't beat 30 down and 5-10 up for $50 with no bandwidth limit. No cable, ooma home phone, hd antenna, and Netflix. Any thing that can't be found there I usually don't bother with.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.