Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2009, 06:39 PM

Default ice fishing shacks????

has anyone tryed the fabill pop ups? I am going to buy a shack but don't know which is best. The ones with a sled worry me a bit because we often have no snow here in southern alberta. I do have a quad to pull a sled but with no snow thats trouble. Anyone have a shack suggestion??
Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 PM

Check the Buy and Sell Fishing section. Jack & 7 has a Frabill 2 man, brand new condition for sale.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Banned

I run a Frabill 2 man.. Great little units I have no regrets getting this unit. Very handy shacks..
Old 11-12-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
I run a Frabill 2 man.. Great little units I have no regrets getting this unit. Very handy shacks..
x2 I got mine last year and love it.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:56 PM

I'm buying a Clam Corp Nanook this year, very good reviews, I like the flip over styles that come with the sled so you can pack all of you ice fishing goodies in. You have to make sure that you have anchors for the pop ups of i saw two blowing across the lake last year.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:40 PM

I added a Clam Nanook to my Arsenal this year as I was impressed with the rear door. I did find that the Seats were not too comfortable, so I took them out. Can't imagine these being too comfy after a few hours. I installed 2 Boat seats and took off the Bolts to the Seat frame fastened on the Sled. Need the extra inches as the new seats are much bigger. Do plan to reposition the seats and drill new holes. Will be using wire over Metal Pins to hold the seats into place.
Installed a couple of U-Bolts on to the front so I can hook a Tow bar on to my Quad to pull it around. In addition to that, also installed an U-Bolt to the back of the Sled. I have Hardware on my other Flip-overs so I can hook them on with a hitch to the Clam. Now I run B-train on the Ice when I have a few people out. Would like to mention that I also installed Runners on to the bottom of the Sled. I've heard of others mounting an old pair of Skis. This will minimize the wear and tear on the Sled. To make these slide over Ice and Snow more, you can apply the same Wax that is sold at Ski Shops. Heres' a couple pics
Comfy boats Seats

Front of Sled with Hitch

Back of Sled with a Hitch

Now all we need is the Ice !! BRING ON THE ICEMAN
Old 11-13-2009, 07:28 PM

well,,Ipicked up a 2 man frabill pop up today (non sled type) so hope it works out. Got a marcum underwater camera while I was there so you can imagine I'm pretty pumped for ice to come
Old 11-14-2009, 09:33 PM

I have a 6 man Headquarters and an Otter sled, I prefer that set up as the sled is bigger, I bring my own comfy chairs and a fold out table. For solo outings, I love the pak shak.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchow View Post
I added a Clam Nanook to my Arsenal this year as I was impressed with the rear door. I did find that the Seats were not too comfortable, so I took them out. Can't imagine these being too comfy after a few hours. I installed 2 Boat seats and took off the Bolts to the Seat frame fastened on the Sled. Need the extra inches as the new seats are much bigger. Do plan to reposition the seats and drill new holes. Will be using wire over Metal Pins to hold the seats into place.
ON THE ICEMAN
Nice modifications Tchow, you will be working hard on catching fish, not lugging your shack about like I have to
Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 PM

Default shacks

tchow
Where did you buy your shack at?

Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 11-16-2009, 05:54 PM

Default Shacks

The only problem with the sleds is after i bought my frabill clam style last yr is i can load more crap than i can pull in the thing...
Old 11-16-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakken View Post
tchow
Where did you buy your shack at?

Ken.
Got mine from the Fishing Hole. BPS also carries them along with some other models. My bud picked up the Clam Thermal Yukon for about 4 bills just on Sunday. There was a sale on them on their Flyer.
He also installed a couple of Eye Bolts at the front(where the rope is to be tied on). Now it can be pulled along with the Clam Harness or hooked up to mine.
Here's a link to the Harness.
http://www.clamcorp.com/Accessories/...5/Default.aspx
The next addition for me, is I'm ordering in the Console from Clam Corp for my Tent. Checked around local vendors and nobody was carrying them..
http://www.clamcorp.com/Accessories/...7/Default.aspx
Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 PM

Mistake for the Yukon as it was $450 from the regular $500 American
Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 PM

I was at BPS 2 weeks ago and was going to buy the Frabill-------I think it was called a Predator but I'm not sure.It was a fairly large Sled type shack.Anyways cost was 6 hundred and the sales guy told me to wait until early Dec.when they go on sale for 5 hundred.
Hope this helped and good luck on the hard water.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:11 PM

The Predator is like one of the Cadillacs of Ice tents. Fully insulated and weighs 140 lbs. Sweet Unit !!Unfortunately I store my Tents in my Basement and thats abit too much for this ole boy to lug up and down the stairs...LOL
Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 PM

I have Frabil 3 man outpost pop up and I just bought a fish trap clam yukon on sale with the sled at Bass pr shop on sale.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Banned

Check out this hardshell at www.n-iceshack.com
Made in Battleford, or maybe N.Battleford. Canadian either way.
Looks like a perfect way to have a permanent shack that you take with you.
Bit pricey, but full of good ideas.
Dave
Old 11-18-2009, 06:08 PM

Decided to give this one from Cabelas a try. Maybe we will get some ice this year eventually.
https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pag...=1500&ID=14912
I do have a question tho, never used ice anchors before, do you have to drill a hole with a cordless drill or do they just screw into the ice????

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-18-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Decided to give this one from Cabelas a try. Maybe we will get some ice this year eventually.
I do have a question tho, never used ice anchors before, do you have to drill a hole with a cordless drill or do they just screw into the ice????
The only ice anchors I've ever used were made by Clam and they come with a special driver bit for a cordless drill
Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
They can be put in by hand. I've read of guys predrilling the holes to make putting them in easier and as TroutHunter said clam makes a tool that you can use with a cordless drill.

I'm lucky in that I have a bunch of ice climbing screws and these things go into the ice like a hot knife through butter, only prolbem is that they are $50 plus dollars each. Take a look at what they look like you never know when you might find some at a garage sale or on kijiji or something.

MEC ice climbing anchors