Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-14-2014, 11:07 AM

Default Lost My Family Land/ Looking For Other Opportunities

Hey everyone,

So my grandfather used to have a beautiful 3/4 section of land out in the foothills of calgary next to the Copperthorn Ranch and for the last 3 years I have been trying to ask the people who bought my grandfather's 3/4 section which are very well known wealthy people if I could again go shooting gophers and coyotes in the back of the section like I used to with my grandfather that has since passed away. Needless to say they have kept on saying no and that those days are are long gone. :'( I have been very saddened by the situation and have given up my dream of going back there.

Anyways I was wondering if there is anyone in the foothills area or know of anyone in the foothills area within a 2hr drive of Calgary that would be willing to let a responsible enthusiast take care of some gophers and maybe coyotes? I always like to bring a shovel with my and fill in the hole after I've shot a gopher, it's what my grandfather liked to do since he always had cows out in the fields. I always leave the property as if I was never there and am very respectful and do all my travelling by foot. I could even help out around the ranch with some chores/work ect if some things need tending to. If anyone would be willing to be nice enough to help a fellow out that lost the family land he used to have access to then there's a nice bottle of whatever you like to drink awaiting to make it more of an Albertan trade! Please let me know.

Cheers Cory.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:58 PM

I don't think you need (or want) to offer anything in exchange. Just drive around and ask. I think you will find permission pretty quickly. Try going east rather than west. Less millionaire oilmen owning property east of the city.

I say you don't "want" to offer anything. because it's illegal to offer or pay for hunting access in Alberta. HOWEVER, I don't know if that would cover/include gopher shooting. Maybe that's OK. I haven't researched it. Certainly would be illegal for game animals.

Anyways, good luck!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:22 PM

"Greygoose420".....I could only imagine what your next favorite pastime is lol .
Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 PM

Haha there's nothing like a little bit of grey goose at that perfect time in the afternoon. I'll try going east a bit. There was more oil money out west that for sure.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygoose420 View Post
Haha there's nothing like a little bit of grey goose at that perfect time in the afternoon. I'll try going east a bit. There was more oil money out west that for sure.
Definitely more places out east. We have permission on some land just out by Irricana where we slay tons of Gophers and Badgers, however the owners are selling it unfortunately. Most people up that way will be willing to let you shoot some pests as long as you're responsible. There's a metric **** ton of gophers out East!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 PM

I dunno if I have bad luck with getting permission or if the land owners look at me being 24 years old and right off the batt think I'm irresponsible even though I'm actually very mature for my age and go fishing ect with my older friends that are old enough to be my dad! I'm just having a hard time finding a spot since I lost my family land which was where I always went. It would be nice if someone could let me keep my accuracy up to par. It definitely seems I have to go more farther east but it sucks because I don't know any of the areas out east or even where to begin to start looking. If anyone has a family friend or acquaintance that they could introduce me to or bring me a long with them I would be very thankful and appreciative! I know it's asking alot and it's a long shot.

Cheers Cory.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:00 AM

I had gone out east and found so many of the little critters....but not one person was willing to let me and a buddy get some practice in. Many nice people and some very apprehensive ones too. man they were all over the place.