Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-29-2012, 09:39 PM

Default Calgary newbie hunter looking ...

Hi,

Last year I went hunting for the very first time in my 38years ... LOVED IT ... so I decided to be prepared for this hunting seazon: bought all the required gear (and more :-)) ... had 2 hunting partners lined up ...
Then disaster strikes: 1 guy kets kicked out to the curb by his wife, so he moved to BC ... for my other hunting partner: change in working situation requires him to travel every weekday, so the weekends are (rightfully so) reserved for his wife and kids ...

That pretty much leaves me stranded ... have some spots lined up in 305, 402 ... but no hunting partner :-(

Is there anybody out there in the Calgary region that can take pitty on this poor newbie and take me out ... i'm up for anything from hiking in, hauling out ... also have a quad + pickup and don't mind travelling ...
Able to go out almost every weekend (Sunday 10 PM is hockey time, but willing to skip a single training for the right adventure)

A bit about me: newbie, 38 years, relaxed attitude, looking forward to hard work out hunting, recently moved from Belgium to the great province of Alberta !!!

Feel free to contact me on my mobile 403 512 7308

Dirk
Old 09-29-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevezwarich View Post
pm sent
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 PM

Default 1st hunting season

Hello, this is my first hunting season, so i think i'll benifit a lot if some experinced guy or gal could take me under his/her wing. living in edmonton and open to most of the offers. thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 05:29 PM

Default Opportunity for 1 or 2 guys..

Are you new to hunting? or do you want to join us for bow/rifle hunts?

We are looking for 1-2 guys physically fit, who are dedicated enthusiastic hunters to join my dad and I (I'm mid 30's).
I know there is always a lot of talk out there about how awesome some guys think they are, we are not the best but we have valuable experience, good hunting/shooting skills, and the animals to prove it!
we are farmers ourselves so we have ties with other farmers as well, so our hunting land base is massive.
we are willing to train you to hunt if you don't have the skills. we hunt everything except mtn sheep, goats, and cats. someone with sheep skills would be awesome, as we have never hunted them, but would like to. (we mainly focus
on Elk, Moose, Deer, Geese, Coyotes). we have all our own processing equipment so all our meat is clean, cut, and wrapped to a high standard with no cost, but you have to be willing to help out.
we drink socially, no drugs, and are looking for someone like minded, as we like to joke around a lot and make hunting an awesome experience! no guides or guys that can't keep a secret allowed.

send me a PM if you're game!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 PM

Default hunting partner

hellow my name is craig and I am replying to your post for hunting partners. I am 36 and live in sherwood park. In the past I have hunted deer, moose, ducks and geese. This year I have filled a bull moose tag and still have deer and elk. I love waterfoul but only have experiance hunting over water. Looking for new partners as I have been hunting alone for some time now. Yes my back is sore from dealing with that moose myself.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 PM

Default hunting partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihi962 View Post
Are you new to hunting? or do you want to join us for bow/rifle hunts?

We are looking for 1-2 guys physically fit, who are dedicated enthusiastic hunters to join my dad and I (I'm mid 30's).
I know there is always a lot of talk out there about how awesome some guys think they are, we are not the best but we have valuable experience, good hunting/shooting skills, and the animals to prove it!
we are farmers ourselves so we have ties with other farmers as well, so our hunting land base is massive.
we are willing to train you to hunt if you don't have the skills. we hunt everything except mtn sheep, goats, and cats. someone with sheep skills would be awesome, as we have never hunted them, but would like to. (we mainly focus
on Elk, Moose, Deer, Geese, Coyotes). we have all our own processing equipment so all our meat is clean, cut, and wrapped to a high standard with no cost, but you have to be willing to help out.
we drink socially, no drugs, and are looking for someone like minded, as we like to joke around a lot and make hunting an awesome experience! no guides or guys that can't keep a secret allowed.

send me a PM if you're game!
see post by craig bryan
Old 10-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Hello all!

I grew up hunting birds and upland game. Have done some big game hunting in the past in Sask and have shot a few deer with both black powder and rifle.

Been away from the sport for a while and would like to rekindle this again. I should be set up with a bow (traditional) around Christmas time and currently shoot a .303 enfield.

For this season I would really just like to get out in the field again. Been too long and I really have no clue about the local area (I live in Okotoks and would prefer to hunt/stay within an hour or so drive).

If you are looking for a fit guy that can help push bush, haul game etc I would love to help out. Courteous, respectful and hard worker. Time is a bit limited as I coach volleyball.

Also, my 15 year old son is talking about hunting. Before I start getting him into I need to re-learn what I used to know and learn the area.

Tony Canevaro
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 AM

Hey all,

I'm looking to head out this weekend for a hunt or tag along. Last year was my first season, ended up walking through a lot of 316 and 318 being that they are close. I only have general tags, and no land access. I really just want to get out into the bush this weekend, regardless of whether I bag anything or not. If your looking for someone to push bush, haul meat, and split gas, I'm definitely up for it. Have the weekend off, all my gears ready to go, just looking for a partner. I'm 25, live in Calgary, have a pick up and all the gear. Send me a pm if you wouldn't mind a young buck tagging along.

Thanks,
Alex.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:05 AM

Default Elk hunt

Looking for an Elk bow hunting partner for next week, I have a good spot but my partner backed out looking to go during the week next week. Must be able to call elk. PM me
Old 10-05-2012, 05:39 PM

Default Happy Thanksgiving

Hunting Grouse today and Sunday in Sibbald Flats. I'm already half way there.
Bryan
403 861 2472
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 PM

Default geese

looking for someone to show me the ropes in the med hat area but happy to drive have some decoys lay out blind ect really keen to learn please pm me

regards danny
Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerHuntLover View Post
Looking for an Elk bow hunting partner for next week, I have a good spot but my partner backed out looking to go during the week next week. Must be able to call elk. PM me
The weekend works too just a few more people there
Old 10-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Anyone looking for a tag along for this Sunday or Monday? Hoping to get out with the rifle this weekend. I have my general and supplementry wt tags and a elk tag. I'm out in gibbons and more than willing to split gas and open to heading anywhere. I'm 23 and new to the sport and wanting to make some new hunting friends. If your interested in going out shoot me a MSG.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypee View Post
looking for someone to show me the ropes in the med hat area but happy to drive have some decoys lay out blind ect really keen to learn please pm me

regards danny
Hey team, I am in the same predicament. Bought 2 dozen decoys was out today in the morning and got skunked. If anyone is looking for some company on a duck hunt and can show a rookie the ropes I would be indebted. In Calgary and don't mind driving!

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM

Hello guys/galls.
My name is Garrick i recently moved to Calgary and am seeing far to many birds flying around and getting the urge to hunt. I have all of my card and papers to hunt waterfowl i do not currently have any decoys but am willing to buy some. I am currently looking for someone or a group to go hunting with around the Calgary area or with in an hour drive.(i have my own vehicle and willing to car pool) If anyone is willing to take me hunting call or text me 587 435 0231.

Thanks guys
Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 PM

Default Hunter sought for WMU 406

I got the draw for a white-tailed buck for WMU 406 and I am looking for someone who knows where the best spots are to hunt there. I will have only two days to hunt in WMU 406, and I will be there Oct. 22-23. If anyone can help me, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettm107 View Post
I got the draw for a white-tailed buck for WMU 406 and I am looking for someone who knows where the best spots are to hunt there. I will have only two days to hunt in WMU 406, and I will be there Oct. 22-23. If anyone can help me, that would be greatly appreciated.
Really?? ...wow, you'd make an awesome partner.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettm107 View Post
Is this guy for real Sure I can do all the scouting and hard work for you and then you can come out and pull the trigger
Old 10-13-2012, 12:28 AM

Hi there, I'm Cody, I'm 27 and I live in Edmonton

This will be my first season hunting. I just got my WIN, and can get tags for whatever we'll be hunting. I'm hoping to proudly bring my first Muley, Whitey or even an Elk home this year. If you've got an extra seat and would welcome an extra person, I'd be happy to oblige. I'm looking to head out with someone with the hope to make it a regular trip, someone who can show me how to field dress the right way the first time. Happy to chip in for gas etc. I'm extremely aware while out in the bush, shoot safely and am in no rush. First Aid and Field Survival trained.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 PM

Default Cold Lake Area

Hey all,

I'm making this my first season..barely salvaged it after my car blew it's engine and life gave me a kick or two I didn't see coming, but...
I've been able to get the scratch together to get the gear I need to hunt upland birds and I also hope to do a little waterfowling if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm in my early 30s and live in the Cold Lake Area. I get along well with pretty much anyone.

I love learning on my own but equally enjoy learning from a good mentor.

I'll always pull my weight. I would also be down for tagging along and helping out on a deer hunt, mostly to learn that game as i never had a chance to get out there growing up and don't have hunter friends in the area to learn from...

I'm all about learning what I can for the rest of the season.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarliesDonkey View Post
Hey all,

I'm making this my first season..barely salvaged it after my car blew it's engine and life gave me a kick or two I didn't see coming, but...
I've been able to get the scratch together to get the gear I need to hunt upland birds and I also hope to do a little waterfowling if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm in my early 30s and live in the Cold Lake Area. I get along well with pretty much anyone.

I love learning on my own but equally enjoy learning from a good mentor.

I'll always pull my weight. I would also be down for tagging along and helping out on a deer hunt, mostly to learn that game as i never had a chance to get out there growing up and don't have hunter friends in the area to learn from...

I'm all about learning what I can for the rest of the season.
Hello my name is Justin, I have always been on this site looking at hunting and fishing forums from all you guys and gals and finally decided to join! Im new to hunting in alberta moved up from newfoundland 2 years ago and am now 21 years old. I have some whitey tags and a general elk for this year but am still waiting for my PAL to get back. Have my own rifle, camo and gear. Grew up in the woods and love getting away from the city! My girlfriend and daughter are in newfounland until i go down christmas so for this season id love to get out every weekend. It would be great to make a few hunting friends and possible friends for my girlfriend as we dont know many people up here, ready to go hunting every weekend until the season is over. Like to get out with someone expierenced or new to hunting with their PAL asap to see if we can get some meat in the freezer cant wait for my first deer/elk! Sorry for writing a book lol but hope I meet someone who will enjoy it as much as me!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Default new guy

Soon to be ex-military, looking for someone to show me the ropes a little bit, live in Edmonton area and dont mind driving/pitching for some gas. If you are going after some waterfowl or deer this year and wouldnt mind showing me the ropes a bit it would be much appreciated. Shoot me a PM id love some info from someone who has some experience.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 PM

Default Not a typical newbie request

Hi All,

new to the forum and have been reading the "who's looking for a hunting partner" now i know that most of us newbie's are asking someone to take us out and "show us the ropes" .

But i've got a different request , i'd like to learn how to properly scout out a hunting spot . now i know your all going to say just drive around till you find "crown land " or a "nice farmers land " but i'm a city boy soon to be moving into the country and i'm really not clear as to what to look for .

I know firearm safety and i've helped dress deer so i guess i'm just asking for someone to help me with direction / tips to find a place where i can hunt without breaking the golden rule of asking you to give up the location of your favorite spot .

Now i'm not opposed to going out with any of you and making new friends but i do not want to inpose on your spot of choice .

Thanks for reading

Dave
Old 10-21-2012, 07:53 PM

Hi my name is Craig Im a regular big game and waterfoul hunter I will be making some trips to rocky mountain house area fou deer next month if you are interested get back to me
Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Talking Rimbey Area

Will be hunting north west of rimbey iF anyone wants to tag along hit me up!!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Hi all,
I've been kicking around the forums for a little over a year now, last year being my first hunting season. I'm trying it agian this season, trying to bag a w/t buck for my first big game harvest. I live in Calgary, 25 years old, have a pick up, rifle and gear ready to go. I work during the week until 2:30, and usually have weekends free. Splitting gas, or driving 2 or 3 hours isn't a problem for me either. I just have general tags, I haven't figured out the draw process yet. Anyways I'd like to get out hunting as much as possible, and actually have some success this season. Send me a pm if your interested.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 10-26-2012, 12:02 PM

Did you find any Grouse?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Default 337- 338

i will be leaving Edmonton about 6 am Nov 1 st to do some wt day hunts if any one wont's to come along for a day or 2 .split gas cost .i got a 4x4 and Argo .must be a safe hunter and know your way in the bush.
pm me if you wont to come along.
PS must not do drugs.

Last edited by threeforthree; 10-28-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Banned

Default looking for ride to edson from edm.

i'm meeting my brother in edson on thursday nov. 1 for a day or 2 of elk hunting. at last min. the person i was going with backed out. anyone heading out there that i can hitch a ride with? gladly pay for gas. pm me. don't want to go by bus with my hunting gear. your welcome to join us on the hunt.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:44 PM

Default Buffalo Hunt

I'm looking for a couple of guys to share the adventure and meat on a Bison hunt on Jan 5th to 12th 2013.
We're staying at the Best Western in High Level. Taking my truck and trailer with 2 snowmobiles.
Let me know if your interested.
Scott