Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2013, 05:26 PM

Default Fish Tales

Just wanted to give these guys a quick shout out. They were extremely helpful when I was in a bit of a jam with some wading boots. They will be getting more of my business. Good people, good store, great service. Thanks crew.

JL

Old 06-16-2013, 05:41 PM

One of the best shops in town. Wish they where in the NW.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 PM

They get all of my busness when it comes to fly fishing their service is always great they are helpful and knowledgeable I also o all of my fly tying skills to them and every time I go I get new info on how to tie more flys
Was just in their today getting new line on my fly reel and ended up staying for 2 hours talking about how to catch fish on my upcoming trip to pike land

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 06-16-2013, 07:58 PM

My favorite shop! like heaven on earth since they expanded. If I was a millionaire that's what my basement would look like...

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 06-16-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
One of the best shops in town. Wish they where in the NW.
X2 They are def my fav fly shop
Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned

I do most of my business there...great and friendly and helpful....and they say thanks for comin in when I make a purchase.
Plus they like Hardy products
Old 06-16-2013, 10:34 PM

yep the best shop in Calgary !
Old 06-17-2013, 08:09 AM

Like most any place, if you're just snoopin' they lose interest fast. Was in there t'other day lookin' at a Fishpond Tundra Teckpac, good pricin' maybe 8-10% more than I can get it laid-in online but since 20 min before I'd sprung almost 5 bills for a pair of G3 waders I wasn't much interested in spendin' more money that particular day.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 AM

They can be very helpful sometimes, but I find, just like Taco mentioned, if you are browsing or looking around they ignore you pretty quick. When I started to get outfitted I knew what I wanted and they tried to sell me something else. I saved up enough money to get outfitted very well and they were trying to down-sell me on stuff and upsell me on other things. I prefer Country pleasures or Bow River Troutfitters both awesome shops and great people never had any issues and I truly feel at home at both of those shops. Always welcome and always get my answers without any hassle.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Banned

Love fish tales, never had any issues with that shop. If you got questions they,ll try their best to answer it, if you just want to snoop around thats ok too, no one bothers you. Stuff to return? Never a problem.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM

I've patronized every fly-shop in the city of Calgary and Fish Tales is probably my fave thus far. I don't think I've ever had any issues with any of my dealings or purchases there. I've been a customer since 99 and Dave and his staff have been great to me even if I was just browsing . Very helpful and friendly shop. Only shop that's ever sent me a Christmas card lol !
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipercub17 View Post
yep the best shop in Calgary !
I'll second that, by far!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:01 PM

They helped set me up as well. Great store for sure
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
They can be very helpful sometimes, but I find, just like Taco mentioned, if you are browsing or looking around they ignore you pretty quick. When I started to get outfitted I knew what I wanted and they tried to sell me something else. I saved up enough money to get outfitted very well and they were trying to down-sell me on stuff and upsell me on other things. I prefer Country pleasures or Bow River Troutfitters both awesome shops and great people never had any issues and I truly feel at home at both of those shops. Always welcome and always get my answers without any hassle.
they dont ignore you, Ive always found that they are always busy and helping other customers when you walk in, theres a reason for that. everyone has their opinion of what "ignoring you" means. Been doing this for 20 years around here and just cant imagine were your comment comes from.Theres only one flyshop in this city, been to all of them but there is only one!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperDropper69 View Post
they dont ignore you, Ive always found that they are always busy and helping other customers when you walk in, theres a reason for that. everyone has their opinion of what "ignoring you" means. Been doing this for 20 years around here and just cant imagine were your comment comes from.Theres only one flyshop in this city, been to all of them but there is only one!
X2

And I prefer to be left alone to do my thing and will seek help if needed.
But after a little bit of looking around....a worker will come and ask me if I need help.
And yes....they are usually busy doing things.

BTW.....nice job on the rennovations.....now it's even nicer in there.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM

Nope I would agree! The 1st time I went into Fishtales several years ago when I was just getting back into fly fishing, I was ignored and the staff were just sitting around. Prevented me from going back up until a few years ago when I started fishing (and became close freinds) with one of their employees... Now that I know most of the staff and would say that they are very friendly, extremely knowledgable and even go above and beyond... I also have developed good relationships with the staff at Bow River Troutfitters so have very good experiences with that shop, - pretty incredible stories of the BRTFs staff going above and beyond as well!! I've had pretty good exp. with Country Pleasures, as well as OK exp. at Hanson's! I have had extremely crappy experiences at Westwinds (will NEVER go back there), Bass Pro and Wholesale (fly fishing departments).

Quote:
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 PM

Love this store! My dad and I both bought new fly rods there today actually! Very helpful, it's extremely nice being able to go test out any rod you're interested in.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM

Awesome store. The only one I frequent. Dave, Nancy, Aaron and Terry are outstanding.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_magic_stick View Post
Love this store! My dad and I both bought new fly rods there today actually! Very helpful, it's extremely nice being able to go test out any rod you're interested in.
I agree I was torn between a couple rods and they let me test cast like 5 different rods. Now I'm planning to buy two and not just one. Apparently they sold the length I was looking for this afternoon!
Did u buy a sage today?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock0802 View Post
I agree I was torn between a couple rods and they let me test cast like 5 different rods. Now I'm planning to buy two and not just one. Apparently they sold the length I was looking for this afternoon!
Did u buy a sage today?
No, I didn't buy a sage. Wasn't me who bought the rod you liked. Sorry to hear that though.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:14 PM

Here's another great job by them went in on saterday to test out some fly rods and they pointed me to some but were missing two that they thought I should try so they ordered them in for me and took my number to call me back when they get in always good service

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Banned

They must be appreciating this thread
I know a couple of those guys are AOF members.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:56 AM

I'm glad they are now far enough out of my way, that I have to make a special trip to go there. When they were on Macleod & Southland they were too easy to get to. When it comes to new materials for tying, they seem to always have them, in every colour yer l'il ol' heart may desire. Usually has a great selection of books also. And some newfangled eye and fisherman catching flies every year. And he has always had the flylines I wanted.
Danged place oughta be outlawed!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
My opinion is my opinion, and it reflects my experience which I am entitled to.

I came in to the store two years ago for the first time and asked a question or two and I got a snobby answer, snobby as in you have no clue what you are doing kind of answer. So I went about my way and looked around browsed and tried to familiarize myself with the equipment/terminology as I was new to fly fishing. I was left alone for about an hour without anyone saying a word to me as they seemed busy chatting it up with one another, I got a few glances and that's about it, so I left. Came back a few weeks later to cast a few rods as I was deciding on buying higher end equipment and the guy was helpful, however I was constantly being told that I should not buy expensive stuff just to start out and that there is no point as I will not feel the difference and it needed to be a progression to higher end equipment rather than jumping in and buying the best of the best. I love fishing and took a few lessons on fly fishing and loved it. I did my research and knew what I wanted to spend my money on. Constantly I was not being listened to when I asked to try a Sage rod and a few others it was like I asked for them to give their life to me. I wanted high end Simms waders and I was being sold some brand I never heard of at the time. I wanted something breathable and had my heart set on the Simms, I went home and found a few other stores and took my business to Country Pleasures and Bow River Troutfitters. Since then I have been to Fish tales a few times and the staff have been nothing but great. Maybe it was a few off days, with my luck thats probably exactly what it was.

I do enjoy visiting there and checking out new things however I find that the prices are a bit higher on some things than other places. I do like the new expansion as it was so crammed before. My initial experience has still not rubbed off and I still walk into the store feeling like I am being judged and I cant help it, slowly it is going away but again my opinions and feelings are just that, mine and nobody's else. If I feel this way and have been treated this way I will make sure I speak about it. Don't look at it as a negative thing but maybe learn from it and improve. I gave it another chance and liked what I saw so I come back. However personally it is still not a favorite shop of mine because of how I was treated initially. Sometimes first impressions leave a big mark.