Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 02:32 AM

Default can anyone offer any advice / info on Dominican?

I am planning a surprise anniversary gift to my wife Tonya, and I am thinking a trip to Dominican in December or early January sometime.

We have both been to Mexico before, so just checking elsewhere, and Dominican grabbed my attention.

Anyone who has been, can you offer any thoughts, opinions, advice on resorts or packages, etc? It will just be the two of us............

Thanks for any comments.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Adults only

Check out Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado - All-Inclusive Adults Only. It's a bit of a drive, boat ride to get there as it is on a small island but very well worth it. Was there last year, relaxing, beautiful island, not the greatest snorkling, you got to work for the fish but if your just into kayaking, catamaran, hanging out and enjoying the beach, ocean, sun then this is the place. Oh yeah the people who work there are great and eager to help you but the English language is not one of their strong points. Food was awesome too!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-26-2014, 08:16 AM

Have only been to Punta Cana. Was a super cheap last minute deal about 4 years ago.
we went here.
http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels...scription.aspx
Was about $1000 PP all in taxes included.
Was quite good considering the price

But kids are allowed.
I like the idea above with Adult only on an island- Make romance the priority.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 AM

Spent 2 weeks there. I liked it much better than cuba . They have good golf and the beaches are really nice. The only thing that was not good was the food.Same greasy smorg every day but maybe its better now. That was an all exclusive at Bavaro resort. Good time
Old 07-26-2014, 09:07 AM

We went to a Bahia Principe outside of Puerto Plata about 8 years back, it was also largely free of kids. One thing to look at around your booking time is to avoid overlapping with university breaks where there will be an influx of obnoxious partiers who will disrupt your sleep, this species arrived near the tail end of our stay. We enjoyed the resort very much and did get out for some snorkeling and a catamaran tour. The tour through the countryside to some cocoa and coffee plantations was fun, and a good spot to stock up on Brugal rum. Prepare for some heart-stopping clearances from oncoming traffic getting to and from the airport
Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 AM

I took the whole family to Punta Cana Feb 2012. They loved it, we stayed at Ocean Blue resort. I had surgery about 3 weeks before we went, so wasn't feeling the best (hernias patched), and all I could do was sit around and drink rum. Food was unspectacular, staff was mediocre, coffee and cigars were superb! The beach was very nice, but crowded with people. Was a hotel next door that seemed to cater to Russian mobsters and Europeans in general. The whole going topless thing was an eye opener for my 13 yr old son, especially the +200 lb senior grandmas haha. Anyway, the kids loved it. Me not so much. I found it too hot and humid for my liking, I have always preferred the Pacific side of Mexico, particularly Cabo. hot, dry, and good fishing.

Not to be a downer on your trip, I'd go with the private island adult only route as mentioned above, that does sound pretty nice.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-26-2014, 09:33 AM

What exactly are you looking for? Luxurious resort trip? Or experiencing the country for what it really is?

We've got a place on the north coast so obviously I love it I've stayed in Punta Cana in a 5 star kid free resort and although it was a beautiful beach and area, the food wasnt fantastic and it was expensive.

It all depends what you are looking to get out of the trip. Dominican is an absolutely gorgeous country, but there is a lot of poverty. The people for the most part are extremely friendly, but a lot of time its because they want to get you to open your wallet. If you arent on a resort it can get a little annoying at time with them trying to get you to come into their shops constantly, but that is part of the experience.

Our place is in Cabarete which is about 45 minutes east of Puerto Plata, just past Sosua. Sosua is a bit of a dump, but it has a beautiful beach (Sosua Beach) with great diving and snorkeling just out from the beach. Cabarete is one of the best places in the world for wind surfing or kite boarding, but due to the wind the snorkeling and diving doesnt exist.

Puerto plata is alright. Again it depends what you are into. If you stay in a resort near the city there is plenty to do inside the city. There's the marine park, the gondola ride up to the mountain top etc.

If you have any north coast specific questions feel free to PM me.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors forever View Post
I am planning a surprise anniversary gift to my wife Tonya, and I am thinking a trip to Dominican in December or early January sometime.

We have both been to Mexico before, so just checking elsewhere, and Dominican grabbed my attention.

Anyone who has been, can you offer any thoughts, opinions, advice on resorts or packages, etc? It will just be the two of us............

Thanks for any comments.
Just to clarify, the Dominican Republic (which I assume you mean) or Dominica?

Both in the Caribbean, totally different islands. Dominica is appropriately called the "nature island".

Very laid back and beaches are a volcanic black sand. Not commercialized at all, unlike the Dominican Republic.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:03 PM

Default Dukoral

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but make SURE you take Dukoral or you will come home with more than just memories, resorts are beautiful beaches and oceans are as well, lots of topless women (some you'll want to see some you won't) make sure you can barter well never accept first offer, and did I mention take Dukoral, have fun you'll enjoy it beaches are better in punta Cana than they are in puerto plata we stayed at the barvaro princess, get entertainment shows at night much better than anything I've seen in Mexico
Old 07-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Spent a week at the Grand Bahia Principe in Punta Cana in 2010. The resort is a 3/5 at best. The beach along there has more traffic than West Edmonton Mall Christmas Eve. Best thing about Dominican is its cheap and the only country I would not return to. The fishing is medicore and the fishing guides are really taking you on the "boat ride". If you have not gone on any other all inclusive holidays you may like it but if you have tried others it will be disappointing.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 PM

everybody gets some thing different out of there trip or experience.I have been to sosua 2 then punta cana once, then back to cabarete.Then tried playa del carmen for 2 yrs then for my second and last time to peurta vallarta.
It all depends on what you are looking for .Loved the dominican republic.
mois bonita seniorita's,great rum and coffee.east coast ( peurta plata) brown sand hot on the feet little rough ocean.punta cana white sand don't have to wear sandles calm and warm oceans.Dominican people very friendly and out going.
Playa del carmen white sand ocean very calm you can stay all day in it warm and calm ocean, amercanized and more more expensive than the dr.
Would definetly go back to the dominican republic.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 PM

Default North and east coast

We have been to both sides of the island several times. North side Sosua and further is not as developed but gives a nice vacation on the cheaper side. Sand is like gravel compared to the other side but good value for dollar if you are a pool person and want to see the real world off the resort. Lots of good deals here if you watch close.
Punts Cana area much more hotel developed and easy nicer beaches more people. Pick your time you go more carefully and you won't have as much traffic to deal with. You can walk Bavaro beach for hours barefoot and never step on anything. Nicer hotels are all along Bavaro beach take your pick. We usually do Bahia Principe as we have stayed there with good luck on both coasts and in Mexico but the Riu has awesome hotels as well as Excellence and a few others if you want to pamper yourself. Lots of off site back country tours from east side but snorkelling sucks as there is nothing to see in the water. Need to take a tour to go to those places. Fishing not great but the right time of year you can do well. Any questions pm me and I will be glad to answer as we are veterans holidaying there.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Wife and I went and loved it. We stayed at the Occidental Grande in Punta Cana. We ran into an older couple that had been travelling the Caribbean for years and told us we had a lucky pick, after all the years searching and exploring they determined that resort was there favorite.

Rooms were clean and liveable but the food was spectacular (my wife and I travel a lot too) and the beach and grounds were beautiful.

In the end, base the resort by the food and service, if you want a room with marble pillars go to Fantasy land at West Ed, you only need it to pass a hangover (and anniversary stuff) and head back out to what you really paid for.

Bavaro runners does a nice tour of the island as well.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:01 PM

If you fly there, don't argue with the wife on the plane or complain about the price of cigarettes in the Duty Free shop.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:41 PM

I'll be the Negative Nelly..

Got married in Punta Cana and was not a fan. Price was good- about $1250 per person for a pretty nice place (can't remember the name) and they free-upgraded us to the high rollers side along with an incredible room. Beach was good, food was fair, did a few things like a catamaran and deep sea fishing, which were priced reasonably (though I wouldn't recommend the latter.) But I wouldn't go back. 100% due to the people. The majority of guys gave off a...hate to say it...almost rapey-vibe towards the young girls in our group. Tough to explain it adequately...lots of staring, some awkward unneeded touching, the catamaran driver who was wayyy too excited to have women in bikini's on his boat..

If it had only been Captain Happy Shorts and a few others it would have been easy to sluff off as something you might find anywhere, but definitely seemed to be the majority of guys we were around. Overall just a very creepy, unsafe feeling.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:52 PM

Grand Palladium Punta Cana, Royal Turquesa Suites Ground Floor step right into the pool at your patio door. There is NO other place I would stay in Dominican. Go for the Ground Floor corner Suites ONLY!!
http://www.palladiumhotelgroup.com/e...-by-palladium/

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car.
After one hour, open the trunk and see who is happiest to see you!!!

If you won't stand behind our Troops,
Feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 AM

Just got back from Punta Cana. Not the best time of the year to go since it's smokin' hot there right now. We had to go since it was my wife's cousin's wedding. Stayed at the Majestic Elegance which is supposed to be a 5 star resort. Overall, it was good. The restaurants were awesome. All the wait staff were excellent. The only issue we had was that if we wanted anything, we had to go to the front desk to ask. Forget about talking to someone on the phone. Oh, I also had to buy shampoo because they didn't have any.