Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 04:30 PM

Default left handed flintlock-need info

So i posted earlier asking about flintlocks and seems i can buy one no problems with out my p.a.l.
since then i'v spend hr's trying to find a place in alberta and canada that sells left handed ones at what i consider a decent starting price for a first time one ($400-$550) i'v been looking in all the wrong places it seem's cause i cant find any thing.

Please help. a name a number a store that ships any thing be great.

or maybe you have one for sale if so i would be interested.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:43 PM

Default Flint lock

Have y been to canadian gun nuts forum? That's a good spot to start, or maybe Pete Ward on this site will chime in and give you some info. Pedersoli makes decent firearms and they have a dealer in Canada but they aren't that cheap. You could check out track of the wolf, they are in the states but might be able to ship that stuff here since it's classed as antique. There's also a guy I Sask. Who deals a lot in black powder accessories but I'm not sure of his name, he'd be able to point you in the right direction for sure.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:43 PM

I bought a used Lyman Deerstalker lefty flintlock in .54 from an American shop. It is legal to import flintlock long guns from the USA. It was a painless experience, send credit card number and get rifle from the postman a week later. I'll try and dig up the company name. They were in Oregon and quite experienced in shipping flintlocks to Canada.

http://www.thegunworks.com/GunIndex.cfm

Last edited by Canuck Bob; 07-25-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:18 AM

I will check in a cabelas cataloque for you on Monday...but in the mean time...contact Becky at Hillfolk Musket Supply.Her and Doug are located in Senlac SK.Ph.# is 1-306-228-2949 A southpaw flinter might be harder to find,but they are out there. My buddy owns a few of them..
Old 07-26-2014, 09:02 AM

So what's the deal with a flint lock pistol? Do they fall under under needing an rpal or can you just order one up?

Knowing our gun laws they are probably prohibited because of all the pirate shootings we have in Canada
Old 07-26-2014, 10:41 AM

My uncle gave me a CVA flintlock pistol kit he bought in the 70's and never got around to putting together that was around 1990 or so. I brought it to the Rcmp during one of the amnesty's they told me I should assemble then get it verified for registration after I had it verified I sent the paper work in. 5 years later I was still waiting for the registration so I phoned them talked to a very nasty CFO and then they sent me the papers I've always wondered if I had to register or not.

Maybe I shouldn't have phoned and annoyed the CFO

Old 07-26-2014, 10:55 AM

My research indicated flintlock pistols are restricted. There must be a problem with drive by flint lock pistol attacks in Toronto!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 PM

Wholesale Edmonton South had a Left hand Lyman Flintlock in the Great Plains in stock 2 days ago. Cabelas north Edmonton also had one a couple of weeks back. Pedersoli does not make Left hand muzzle loaders of any kind.

Shipping them from the U.S. is no problem. U.S. government does not class them as firearms, no FFL or export permit required. Track of the Wolf will ship you any Flintlock you like, no problems, as will Dixie Guns works and a number of other places in the states.

Lyman is the only production left hand but you can order left hand flintlocks made up from a number of places but price will be $1000 or more. Used ones are fairly easy to find on US sites for sale. If you can find a 54 it is the bomb for big game like Elk, bear and moose. If you are going to mostly punch paper the 50 is fine and works good for deer too.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-26-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
So what's the deal with a flint lock pistol? Do they fall under under needing an rpal or can you just order one up?

Knowing our gun laws they are probably prohibited because of all the pirate shootings we have in Canada
Here is your answer...

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...poudre-eng.htm
Old 07-26-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
Well pretty much what I expected, restricted. Lame
Old 07-26-2014, 03:03 PM

But it might save ya while out hunting rabid squirrels on the back 40...