Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2023, 09:36 PM

Default Heavy pike rod - where to find??

Looking to find a good-quality heavy baitcasting rod for chucking heavier pike lures, including soft and hard swimbaits (small-size musky lures basically). However, there are two problems.
1) Local retailers seem to offer limited selection. One recent poster commented in another thread that Alberta fishing stores are failing in terms of heavy pike rods. I tend to agree. I've had to look out of province or even out of country to purchase larger lures in the past, and although I'd like to shop locally, I may need to look faraway for rods too.

2) I would ideally like a 2-piece rod so I can transport more easily, especially for fly-in trips. Unfortunately, there seem to be few good options. I've explored salmon-steelhead 2-pc options, but they are often 9' or more and I'm not sure how well they would perform for both casting and hooksetting??

Any suggestions on good options for both rods and/or retailers are welcome! Thanks.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:06 AM

Rapala musky magnum is a 2 piece it’s not fancy but works. I own a 7’6 heavy fast action but had to repair the cork but after a week of fishing

Some of the ST criox premier musky rods are 2 piece. I own a 7ft m/h that is 2 piece

Musky innovations also makes a 2 piece but it’s only a medium action so if you are like me and prefer a fast action it’s not an option

Your opinions are basically non existent in Alberta you will be looking to the east. 2 piece rods you are very limited as most will be 1 piece or telescopic and the telescopic are long still

Because I like a Rod 8ft or less fast action 2 piece I am tempted to have one custom made do to lack of options

Sadly in Alberta stores don’t handle them or bring in very few and they are gone fast. I called every option I could find in Alberta last year it was a waste of time. I try to keep my money in the province I live in but retailers in Alberta are failing in the heavy pike Rod department. Save the grief and look out east
Old 02-21-2023, 10:16 AM

Loomis has some rods tailored to your needs
Old 02-21-2023, 12:06 PM

I have an Ugly Stick, not sure of type/model but bought in BC 30yrs ago.
Best pike rod I own. Throws the big baits out there no problem and when you get a 20lb plus on she handles the fish quite well.
WDF
Old 02-21-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Loomis has some rods tailored to your needs
Only Loomis rods I have seen for this are 1 piece

What model comes in 2 piece?
Old 02-21-2023, 12:16 PM

Get your specs sorted out and if you don't find something, order it. I have rarely seen these available at the TFH, Cabella's or any other retailer - so ordering it is often the only way to get what you want unless you get real lucky.

2 pc, 7-8' ft long, Medium Heavy or Heavy power, Fast or X-Fast Action, 4-8oz weight capable, runs 40lb braid

I'd also want high quality reel seats (like Fuji) and good guides.

In my case, St.Croix had all of that, and has been my go to rod for years. the set the benchmark for Quality, Durability and Sensitivity.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Only Loomis rods I have seen for this are 1 piece

What model comes in 2 piece?
The unicorn model.

Loomis (and other higher end brands) make mostly 1pc. You always give up sensitivity, durability and strength when going to a 2 pc. It's a trade off.

I know St.Croix has some 2 pc musky rods. I have some of each. The one piece are a PITA but at least my rod locker allows up to a 9' rod - but it's still a PITA to slide them in and out in a boat full of people and gear bouncing in the waves.

Once it's out (or back in) it's not a big deal but you know what I mean.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
I have an Ugly Stick, not sure of type/model but bought in BC 30yrs ago.
Best pike rod I own. Throws the big baits out there no problem and when you get a 20lb plus on she handles the fish quite well.
WDF
I just bought 2 new version Tiger rods, a lot lighter than the older version and there isnt a fish in Canada they cant bring in. 7 foot 2 piece, but then again Im the only fisherman who like to use them on here mine are medium action. I used my first baitcaster tiger when I caught my personal best sturgeon and I will be using these ones hard this year. says rated for 6 ounces but I make 7 and 9 ounce weights for runoff peak and they have no issue throwing those. but then again you can spend a lot more money on a rod and be just as happy.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-21-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw View Post
Looking to find a good-quality heavy baitcasting rod for chucking heavier pike lures, including soft and hard swimbaits (small-size musky lures basically). However, there are two problems.
1) Local retailers seem to offer limited selection. One recent poster commented in another thread that Alberta fishing stores are failing in terms of heavy pike rods. I tend to agree. I've had to look out of province or even out of country to purchase larger lures in the past, and although I'd like to shop locally, I may need to look faraway for rods too.

2) I would ideally like a 2-piece rod so I can transport more easily, especially for fly-in trips. Unfortunately, there seem to be few good options. I've explored salmon-steelhead 2-pc options, but they are often 9' or more and I'm not sure how well they would perform for both casting and hooksetting??

Any suggestions on good options for both rods and/or retailers are welcome! Thanks.
I went through this last year, with many of the same concerns as you have. I ended up trying this rod not expecting much, just based on the reviews and because it was cheap. I ended up liking it enough that I just ordered another one.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Its rated 1-3oz, but I find the action to be more versitile than other similar rods that I own, it will toss both large and smaller/standard sized pike offerings well. Being hollow its actually quite light for a fiberglass rod, and I've found the telescopic feature hugely convinent. I think it might actually be a spinning rod (have used it with various spinning reels as well), but because its a travel rod the first guide is rather small and it works well with either. Even if you decide to go to something more high end/ specialized, for the price and versatility I doubt you will regret getting this rod. Paired up with a 4000 spinning reel, and a 6500 Ambassadeur you've got a compact travel rod that can take anything from walleye to modest pelagics. I've mosly used mine around home for pike and walleye, but I'll be putting a 6000 size spinning reel on it and taking it to Mexico in a couple months.

Salmon/ steelhead rods are a whole different animal IMO. They are great for throwing regular sized pike lures a long way, but are way too soft to substitute for heavy pike gear. I have a 9.5' MH steelhead rod that I use for shore fishing, it will toss 1/4 to 1oz offerings a mile. Last year alone I landed a 41" pike, and about dozen just under the 40" mark on that rod. The line control and fish fighting ability is something I miss when I use any of my shorter rods... but if you want to throw 3 oz lures, and horse big pike out of heavy cover on 40 lb line, this is not the rod you want.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-21-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:41 PM

I think the biggest factor is the weigh of the lures, the style of lures, and how you work them

There is a big difference in running 4oz swimbaits on a steady retrieve and ripping a 4oz dive and rise through cabbage. Also with baits like gliders the rod/reel/line will play a big roll on the action you will get out of the lure

What might work for one of us may not match his style of fishing or definition of big baits
Old 02-21-2023, 02:25 PM

I use a fenwick elite tech predator rod. It's 8'6" 2 piece heavy moderate fast. I bought it like 6 or 7years ago and it's held up great. I've got stuff up to 16oz in my box and regularly throw 8-10oz stuff.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I think the biggest factor is the weigh of the lures, the style of lures, and how you work them

There is a big difference in running 4oz swimbaits on a steady retrieve and ripping a 4oz dive and rise through cabbage. Also with baits like gliders the rod/reel/line will play a big roll on the action you will get out of the lure

What might work for one of us may not match his style of fishing or definition of big baits
Too true, most of the bigger stuff that I fish is either deadbaits, spoons, bucktails, and cranks. For ripping a big Suick that rod would be a bit soft. I still endorse it though, stashed in a quad box or even just tucked away as a spare (works as a spare for just about anything bigger than a trout), to me that rod is well worth the $60.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:42 PM

To the OP. These are blanks available through Mudhole, I can get them in Canada as well. I could build you the rod at no charge, you pay for blank, shipping, handle and guides. There would be no warranty on my end because they want the blank to inspect and you have to pay shipping both ways. Having said that I have built a ton of rods on their blanks and never had a problem. PM me if you are interested. If you decide to go to a one piece blank, well that opens up a ton of options at mudhole.

https://mudhole.com/collections/mhx-...ank-l905-2-mhx

https://mudhole.com/products/mhx-70-...9de65541&_ss=r

https://mudhole.com/products/mhx-76-...c9304b7b&_ss=r

https://mudhole.com/products/mhx-70-...6ae5fc89&_ss=r

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-21-2023, 06:47 PM

St Croix 7’ Premier 2 piece and don’t look back. Caught a few 50” pike on mine with no problems. Tough as nails and light and nimble.
Mind you I don’t cast heavy stuff. All my 50”ers have been caught with 1/2oz lures.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:34 PM

If I could recommend a premium rod to try that doesnt break the bank.

Streamside makes a premium line called predator apex and they make it in both spin and baitcast. The one thing you will appreciate about them over some of the other things you have looked at is a better action rod than what a salmon or steelhead rod has for those bigger lures. I personally have two MH fast action rods that I use for large swimbait fishing. The rod was meant for it.

This link takes you to their baitcaster offerings.
https://fishingandhuntingheaven.com/...-apex-spincast

The outdoorsmen in medhat sells them, aswell as Dan Davies from Big Sky flies and Jigs. He has brought a number of those rods in for me in a realistic amount of time because they are warehoused in ontario. The warranty is exceptional also.

Heres a fish I caught this fall on a med heavy fast action spincast rod while fishing for walleye. 10lb braid and a flouro leader. ****pics from my phone must be too large to attach.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:37 PM

Maybe this time the photo will work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A3B82D02-DBC2-445D-868C-BE615A7357AB.jpeg (36.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-21-2023, 08:03 PM

The OP is talking smaller musky size lures that would be lures in the 2-8oz range

If it was looking for a rod to handle lures 3oz and smaller tons of options out there in most Alberta fishing stores even

Peoples definitions of what a heavy pike rod really vary a lot. It’s not about the rod being able to handle a big pike it’s the lures weight and ability to work theses lures
Old 02-21-2023, 08:26 PM

Wow, there is a lot to digest here and I appreciate all the replies!! I've got some research to do to figure this out and then I guess I have to go shopping (online).

I have been using a range of MH power rods, including a 6'6" St. Croix that I love. However, I am curious about anybody who has specific experience with musky rods vs 'regular' rods. I get the sense that a musky MH or H rod is much heavier than a regular MH or H rod (comparing the only musky rod I could find at Cabelas). Since I will be shopping online and can't see in person, just want to be sure I get the right rod with the right power.

This leads to me to another question about lure weight ratings stamped on the rods. How accurate are they? I have used my St. Croix MH (rated up to 1 oz) to throw up to 3-4 oz. It does the job but not ideal and I always fear I'll snap the rod if I start whipping lures. If I am snapping glide baits (Hellhounds, Phantoms, Shine Glide) like I hope to do, would be nice to have something with a bit more backbone. Anyone else throwing these heavier lures and what rod are you using (or lure rating)?

Thanks to all.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
To the OP. These are blanks available through Mudhole, I can get them in Canada as well. I could build you the rod at no charge, you pay for blank, shipping, handle and guides. There would be no warranty on my end because they want the blank to inspect and you have to pay shipping both ways. Having said that I have built a ton of rods on their blanks and never had a problem. PM me if you are interested. If you decide to go to a one piece blank, well that opens up a ton of options at mudhole.

Heckuva nice gesture right here!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-21-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw View Post
Wow, there is a lot to digest here and I appreciate all the replies!! I've got some research to do to figure this out and then I guess I have to go shopping (online).

I have been using a range of MH power rods, including a 6'6" St. Croix that I love. However, I am curious about anybody who has specific experience with musky rods vs 'regular' rods. I get the sense that a musky MH or H rod is much heavier than a regular MH or H rod (comparing the only musky rod I could find at Cabelas). Since I will be shopping online and can't see in person, just want to be sure I get the right rod with the right power.

This leads to me to another question about lure weight ratings stamped on the rods. How accurate are they? I have used my St. Croix MH (rated up to 1 oz) to throw up to 3-4 oz. It does the job but not ideal and I always fear I'll snap the rod if I start whipping lures. If I am snapping glide baits (Hellhounds, Phantoms, Shine Glide) like I hope to do, would be nice to have something with a bit more backbone. Anyone else throwing these heavier lures and what rod are you using (or lure rating)?

Thanks to all.
I fish and build a lot of gliders, stick baits, pull baits and dive&rise baits most range from 2-6oz. A stiff fast action rod is important for working theses baits as you have to apply the action. Too soft of a rod and it will flex when you try to twitch/jerk/pull the lure robbing the action. The recoil of the soft rod can also have an impact especially with gliders.

You can definitely weaken and overtime and break under the repeated shock. I have broken rods ripping cabbage beds too. Rods can also break over time with repetitive casting of lures exceeding the rating. You can get away with exceeding the rating to an extent but I prefer not to with jerk baits but swimbaits I will as long as they are not being ripped

For jerk baits I like 7’6-8ft fast action rods. Shorter I find I just can’t get the right sweep on baits that I prefer a longer pull. Over 8ft feels awkward plus I fish mostly out of a kayak as of 2 years ago

I listed the two rods I am presently using but honestly I am looking for something more ideal. The 7’6 rapala heavy action musky magnum rod I own works best so far but it’s really just ok. I am presently looking for something better quality and heavier rating in a 2 piece
Old 02-22-2023, 06:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

This is the route I would go, pm, a phone conversation and off to the races with a custom built rod or two

Awesome gesture.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-22-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This is the route I would go, pm, a phone conversation and off to the races with a custom built rod or two

Awesome gesture.
Very kind gesture for sure and a whole lot of respect goes out to pikergolf for making the offer

The problem is none of those blanks are suitable(way too low of a lure rating) for what the OP needs for the lures he is wanting to fish. Now if they can find a good 2 piece blank to match his needs it would be a great option

I might actually be able to figure out where to get a blank if they wish to pursue this option. If I remember correctly a thread I posted on another fishing forum searching for 2 piece musky someone posted about a rod blank and mentioned I should build one
Old 02-22-2023, 06:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Very kind gesture for sure and a whole lot of respect goes out to pikergolf for making the offer

The problem is none of those blanks are suitable(way too low of a lure rating) for what the OP needs for the lures he is wanting to fish. Now if they can find a good 2 piece blank to match his needs it would be a great option

I might actually be able to figure out where to get a blank if they wish to pursue this option. If I remember correctly a thread I posted on another fishing forum searching for 2 piece musky someone posted about a rod blank and mentioned I should build one

I put faith in you and pikergolf to muster up the required blanks for the build I feel the OP goes that route, two who I would trust in a build.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-22-2023, 07:05 AM

PAC bay makes a 2 piece fast action 8”3 musky rod blank that would fit the requirements. There is three options I would go with the extra heavy with the 2 1/2 - 8oz rating if it was me

Lure parts online in the US has them

Hmm I might need to order one of these blanks for myself next time on my next lure parts order because I am having no luck finding a complete 2 piece rod in these specs

This thread is likely going to cost me $ because I want a new pike rod this year lol
Old 02-22-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
PAC bay makes a 2 piece fast action 8”3 musky rod blank that would fit the requirements. There is three options I would go with the extra heavy with the 2 1/2 - 8oz rating if it was me

Lure parts online in the US has them

Hmm I might need to order one of these blanks for myself next time on my next lure parts order because I am having no luck finding a complete 2 piece rod in these specs

This thread is likely going to cost me $ because I want a new pike rod this year lol
I kinda went down the rabbit hole chasing the ultimate pike rod a couple years ago as well. Still searching but I have some input here.

Bought the Tackle Industries 9' 2 piece MH musky rods and even those are way too stiff unless youre working big blades or rubber. When you hook up they're so stiff they dont really absorb any headshakes and I have lost a lot of big fish on those rods.

Build a 8'3" 2 piece on a pac bay swimbait blank. It was the heaviest of the 3 available. Its a great spoon rod and single blade bucktail rod but too soft for big rubber and double blades. Loads up nicely tho and is very light so its a treat to use. One of their lower line class musky rods might be OK.
Rod builders supplies in BC carries the Pac Bay rods too, fairly reasonable price.

Next build will be on a bushido 3k 2 piece in the 20-40 pound class i think. APparently they were designed for the european pike market and have actions that are more muskly like, but less stiff.

Hogmans Custom Rods in ontario carries those if you need a canadian source.

Keep this thread goin haha we need to find the answer.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker_clonker View Post
I kinda went down the rabbit hole chasing the ultimate pike rod a couple years ago as well. Still searching but I have some input here.

Bought the Tackle Industries 9' 2 piece MH musky rods and even those are way too stiff unless youre working big blades or rubber. When you hook up they're so stiff they dont really absorb any headshakes and I have lost a lot of big fish on those rods.

Build a 8'3" 2 piece on a pac bay swimbait blank. It was the heaviest of the 3 available. Its a great spoon rod and single blade bucktail rod but too soft for big rubber and double blades. Loads up nicely tho and is very light so its a treat to use. One of their lower line class musky rods might be OK.
Rod builders supplies in BC carries the Pac Bay rods too, fairly reasonable price.

Next build will be on a bushido 3k 2 piece in the 20-40 pound class i think. APparently they were designed for the european pike market and have actions that are more muskly like, but less stiff.

Hogmans Custom Rods in ontario carries those if you need a canadian source.

Keep this thread goin haha we need to find the answer.
Oh you just cost me $ now that you posted a Canadian supplier of musky rod blanks lol

Really it’s a matter of matching the right rod to one’s personal style and wants. I actually like the stiff rods for how I fish because it plays a big roll in how I work my lures. But there is definitely times a softer rod is a better option

I don’t have much issue with loosing pike do to head shakes but I am getting very good hook up ratio and placement most of the time with my fishing style. Definitely appropriate drag setting plays a roll too. I find pike hit an aggressively worked dive & rise with such a level of violence that if your drag is too tight you will loose some big pike from hooks tearing out on the strike. But the aggression this style of fishing can bring out in pike is just too much fun especially in clear water

In the end a guy needs to pick what fits their personal style

Ok bring on open water so I can toss lures for pike. Yup odds are I will be ordering a blank before my set off is over lol

Sorry to side track the thread but does anyone have a rod builder they could recommend in the Edmonton area that I could get a rod made if I send them a blank?
Old 02-22-2023, 08:08 PM

Great discussion and really appreciate all the feedback. Special kudos to piker for the custom building suggestion and offer. Will be checking out options and hopefully chucking big baits in the not too distant future.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:19 PM

I would take Pikergolf up on that custom build for sure. Check charkbait for rods and blanks as well.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for in NA I’m sure you could find one over here. You haven’t given a on objective description of exactly what your chasing but between the local freshwater barra and offshore saltwater scene I’m sure there would be something readily available here. To me it sounds like you’re chasing something half similar to a popping or stickbait rod but again you would need to be more specific of what “heavy” constitutes and what action you want. If you want something from here I have family flying back in May and they could get it to red deer, from there you can get it picked up or mailed. If you wanted to explore those options let me know and I can give you some tackle shop names to start shopping from.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:22 AM

Berkley Lightning Rod MH 1 piece all day long. Amazing value for money. I can have 4 - 6 fully rigged lightning rods on the deck for the same price as a Gloomis. Check the Fishing Hole Catalogue. More often on the shelf in Winnipeg and Saskatchewan than edmonton. They transfer them over no charge.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoFish View Post
Berkley Lightning Rod MH 1 piece all day long. Amazing value for money. I can have 4 - 6 fully rigged lightning rods on the deck for the same price as a Gloomis. Check the Fishing Hole Catalogue. More often on the shelf in Winnipeg and Saskatchewan than edmonton. They transfer them over no charge.
Think much bigger Berkley lightning lure rating way too low for large pike lures the OP is talking about