Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-14-2024, 08:32 AM

Default Hunting Property

Just looking for some options, I have a 1/4 of land that has a decent amount of Elk, Moose, Deer , Bears , wolves and coyotes. I do have a bait and try to do what I can to help the animals through the winters.
Three years ago the neighbors rented their property to a couple who decided to get into sheep farming. Which is fine as it is fenced and is no concern to me.
My issue is the sheep farmers have two huge dogs, for flock protection I am told. I run trail cameras year round have have numerous pictures of these two dogs at my baits and chasing animals. When I asked the sheep farmer to keep his dogs on his own property he stated that he can't as they roam for protection. Needless to say the discussion turned heated very fast as I reminded him that the dogs on my property 1KM away from the his sheep are not protecting anything but harassing wildlife. The local F&W officers seem not interested in getting involved. I have no doubts that if I had dogs and they were chasing his sheep they would be shot, which is what I am considering doing.
Is this too harsh???
Old 04-14-2024, 08:39 AM

Stray dogs harassing wildlife should be shot. I’d have another big whitetail hanging on the wall had I followed my own advice.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:43 AM

Sounds like neighbors of mine. The sound of gunfire has been heard regularly around here.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-14-2024, 08:48 AM

Shoot them. Only way the problem goes away.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Stray dogs harassing wildlife should be shot. I’d have another big whitetail hanging on the wall had I followed my own advice.
"SSS" comes to mind......
Cat
Old 04-15-2024, 10:41 AM

I know what I would do...........and it would already be done......... but nobody else would know...........

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
"SSS" comes to mind......

Cat

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2024, 08:50 AM

Sounds like you tried to talk to him and couldn’t reach a solution. Not going to get into that more because I was not there to hear both sides. Either way it sounds like he doesn’t want to control his dogs and you are not getting far there

Do your research on where you legally stand and talk to F&W more. After you have all the information where you legally stand talk to the dog owner again in a civil manner and his response when you can explain where you legally stand. If he doesn’t control his dogs after that do whatever you can do within your legal rights

Basically keep civil and stay within your legal rights to cover your butt
Old 04-14-2024, 08:53 AM

If I don’t know the dog it gets shot. If I know the owners they get one warning. I won’t tolerate having stray dogs around my cows. Shoot the buggers and don’t say a word.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:24 AM

Get a resident trapping license and let the owners know you have snares at your baits. I use power ram snares and had the same issue. Told the owners for their dogs protection they need to keep them on their own property. It’s a lot less controversial than if you shot the dogs.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:40 AM

This reminds me when i was the only one given permission to hunt on a guys farm by Devon. He had a dogs so I asked him if his dogs ever go in the fields and chase the deer . He replied ,they never go out of the yard . He said their is a group of wild dogs in the area and you are more than welcome to shoot them on my land. Few weeks later a herd of deer come running across the field being chased by a dog . It was a long shot but i got him with my 7 mag . I heard a yelp as it went down . Then that tough bugger got up and ran away Few weeks later i am sitting back in the farmers house and I am petting his dog and as i touch his neck he gives a yelp . Farmer then said I think he got into a fight with a coyote in the yard . Lol ! I wish that dog never got up when i shot him because hunting his place really went down hill once he got that dog .
Old 04-14-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Get a resident trapping license and let the owners know you have snares at your baits. I use power ram snares and had the same issue. Told the owners for their dogs protection they need to keep them on their own property. It’s a lot less controversial than if you shot the dogs.
Problem with that being the entitled owner who doesn't get the message. SSS
I've had this kind of problem, when I informed the owner I would shoot the problem animal, after the 6 or 7 time he showed up, I was told, then go ahead and shoot him.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-14-2024, 11:24 AM

Nearly lost my leg to a free roaming dog, wife has scars on her head from a different one, had more hunts ruined than I can count. Zero hesitation to put em in the dirt

Bang flop, bang flop, no words. “Did you see my dog?” Nope
Old 04-14-2024, 06:20 PM

You did your part. That's all you can do. You tried to resolve the issue to no avail. If the dogs are on your property causing trouble, they need to be dealt with. It's too bad he acted like that.

If it were me, I'd give him the same chance you did, and tomorrow he'd be missing his dogs. I'm a dog guy, but wondering dogs are trouble.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenzie280 View Post
Just looking for some options, I have a 1/4 of land that has a decent amount of Elk, Moose, Deer , Bears , wolves and coyotes. I do have a bait and try to do what I can to help the animals through the winters.
Three years ago the neighbors rented their property to a couple who decided to get into sheep farming. Which is fine as it is fenced and is no concern to me.
My issue is the sheep farmers have two huge dogs, for flock protection I am told. I run trail cameras year round have have numerous pictures of these two dogs at my baits and chasing animals. When I asked the sheep farmer to keep his dogs on his own property he stated that he can't as they roam for protection. Needless to say the discussion turned heated very fast as I reminded him that the dogs on my property 1KM away from the his sheep are not protecting anything but harassing wildlife. The local F&W officers seem not interested in getting involved. I have no doubts that if I had dogs and they were chasing his sheep they would be shot, which is what I am considering doing.
Is this too harsh???
Illegal to Bait in Alberta.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:59 AM

Mad that the neighbors dogs are chasing the crown's ungulates that you're baiting for the next hunting season.

Perhaps bait the bears and wolves and they will take care of the dogs for you.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenzie280 View Post
Is this too harsh???
They roam for protection?.......That's no bueno.

The guy keeps sheep in an area with wolves? Once you take care of his dogs, the wolves will take care of his bank account!
Old 04-15-2024, 10:16 AM

To the OP, it's OK to feed big game if to help big game thru the winter ...bait not the best choice of words in that regard ...bait for coyotes,wolves and bears is legal in most locations ..
Guard dogs off their own property are at risk and I wouldn't put up with that ...at all .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2024, 01:34 PM

This whole conversation and you picked up on the baiting.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:43 PM

Default range law

A lot of the province is under range law which makes the owner keep his animals on his property.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:34 PM

The OP might be from Sask?
Old 04-15-2024, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
This whole conversation and you picked up on the baiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
The OP might be from Sask?
Surprised it was glossed over by most.. You'd assume on an alberta forum they'd be from Alberta if asking about legalities of shooting someone's dog that's chasing animals off his bait pile.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
Surprised it was glossed over by most.. You'd assume on an alberta forum they'd be from Alberta if asking about legalities of shooting someone's dog that's chasing animals off his bait pile.
People are baiting bears right now, that was my take on it anyway.....
Cat
Old 04-15-2024, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
I read it right away
“I do have a bait and try to do what I can to help the animals through the winters”
I figured out just from this what he meant, peeps on here assume that all are up to no good right away. If he was I am sure he would have just smoked the mutt on day one.
My thoughts, that dog would be roaming in heaven….
WDF