Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-10-2009, 02:41 PM

Default Rules are in place for a reason!!!!! ACT ACCORDINGLY!!!

It is not very often, if at all I will post something on the forum regarding this sport, I am new to. But today I was almost closing a day that I had really enjoyed with no bad feelings of not shooting that perfect buck, I saw some great scenery and some nice looking does and wild Horses.
Closing in on Noon, i decided to call it a day and head back to the truck due to numbing cold; enjoying the scenery and the thought of the warm cab I noticed 2 Eagles circling in the distance, I thought it would be interesting to see what they were after so I started to close the gap.

To me, what I am about to share, for lack of a calmer description, it ****ES ME OFF! I found a Moose that had been Butchered for the tenderloin and other better meats, the Rack was taken and the rest was left. I tend to keep to myself for the most part but this crosses the line for me. There are rules in place for us to follow and these actions are the reasons that the privilege of hunting is slowly dying.

I hope that you get caught if you are reading this and I have reported the unfortunate incident to the fish and wildlife and sent the pictures to a C/O.

for those that are interested, WMU412. It is a Special license for Regular season Moose...

This was not meant as a rant, or to cause trouble, I am just expressing my disgust with some of the people I share the outdoors with. I hope the person/persons responsible for these actions are reading this, you should be ashamed.
Hunting is a privilege NOT a right, those at fault... act accordingly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpSc5NOHPM.jpg (99.6 KB, 731 views)
File Type: jpg phpAWkVjZPM.jpg (86.0 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg phpq3ybwdPM.jpg (94.5 KB, 615 views)

Last edited by BIG HOPE; 10-10-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:57 PM

X10....... nothing else to say about it, you did a good job expressing how I think most of us feel about that situation.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:02 PM

Default I Agree

This is a sad sight to come across when you are out in the field. I am an avid hunter and have also ran into this type crap. It Ps.... me off to no end.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:16 PM

Lazy slobs will surely be the end of hunting, and shooting sports as well for that matter.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:45 PM

hope in some way those poachers get caught. Was out in 340 and came across a buntch of skulls, quite old, we counted 9: 1 moose and 8 deer. All had the skull plates with antlers gone every other bone was there just not the antlers. Discusting...
Old 10-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
hope in some way those poachers get caught. Was out in 340 and came across a buntch of skulls, quite old, we counted 9: 1 moose and 8 deer. All had the skull plates with antlers gone every other bone was there just not the antlers. Discusting...
Disgusting is right! More people need to come forward and tell what they view as wrong doing in the outdoors so that eventually (hopefully) we can weed out the bad apples. Take Pictures, record the location and anything else that might have been at the site. I am not suggesting that hunters turn into CSI, I am simply putting it out there that we need to stand up for the rules that have been implemented in the first place.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:19 PM

Outrageous & wasteful, it just goes to show WE CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Simply amazes me that someone justifies that doing something like that is okay.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:02 PM

Sick.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:26 PM

What a waste of an animal
Hope they catch the guys that did this
Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 PM

That is truely sad however I wouldn't blame it on modern day, this type of stupidness has been going on forever.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:54 AM

Thumbs down Rules are in place for a reason!!!!! ACT ACCORDINGLY!!!

Ther's no other word for it, pathetic!
Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 AM

Terrible to see.

I think that "this day and age" is actually a lot better, because there are more eyes and ears out there. Cell phones and the internet really help get the word around quickly.

Just ask those duck poacher guys.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynailz View Post
Terrible to see.

I think that "this day and age" is actually a lot better, because there are more eyes and ears out there. Cell phones and the internet really help get the word around quickly.

Just ask those duck poacher guys.
Rustynailz, that is what I am trying to get out there. You said it best! Cellphones are great and some even geocache your local after you take a photo, so you can pin point it to the scene on google maps.
The more people that read this post the better chance we have of "weeding out the bad apples".
Pass it along People, it doesn't mean you are being a "Rat" or a "Tattle Tale" it simply helps keep the great sport alive and will help prevent future crimes.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned

Default sick

Is it any wonder why moose is draw only in so many areas!!!?

I suspect these guys likely didn't stop at one.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:19 AM

maybe it went bad on them?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Disturbing!!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
maybe it went bad on them?
One must educate themselves in order to prevent spoiling. A good read on how to do that in this years regs.
Lets say this was the case with this moose can the hunter feel safe to inform a C/O with out being charged for something then dispose of it properly....
Old 10-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WkndWarrior View Post
One must educate themselves in order to prevent spoiling. A good read on how to do that in this years regs.
Lets say this was the case with this moose can the hunter feel safe to inform a C/O with out being charged for something then dispose of it properly....
Greatly said WkndWarrior! It is our own responsibility to make sure we as hunters know what actions to take when hunting. The hunt is the fun part the work begins with care for the animal that has been taken.
Weather wrong at the time or not, it is always best to be honest and tell the truth and a C/O is there to help us not hurt us. Ask questions and educate and we all can avoid issues like above mentioned... Unless you are lazy..
Old 10-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Thumbs up With cell phones & cameras in hand, we should all be part-time 'Poacher' Hunters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD View Post
" . . . it just goes to show WE CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!"
Perhaps that's ^ true, but we can all try to work together to make sure 'STUPID', and as many others like him as possible, End Up In Jail!

GW

Old 10-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Hey BIG HOPE. I know 412 fairly well. Unless you found this in an area you like to call your own, I'd be curious as the the general location. No biggie though.

Or, let me put it this way. How retreivable was the moose?

Tree
Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Hey BIG HOPE. I know 412 fairly well. Unless you found this in an area you like to call your own, I'd be curious as the the general location. No biggie though.

Tree
Im gonna wager a guess and say it was very recoverable. The pics dont show it hung up on a cliff where you would need a team of climbers to get it, and it wasnt floating down a river and hung up underwater in a log jam.
Its a sad thing. I dont think folks will ever self educate to the point of seeing senceless actions even begin to decrease. Embarrasing really.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post

Tree
The moose was only 2.4 kms from the main Trunk road TreeGuy. That just adds to my Frustration about the whole malicious act. It was on a cut line about a 4 min hike up. Sad really. It wouldn't have taken 4 men 35 mins to pack the whole thing out on foot. Post Script, it wasn't in an area that was not accessible, very easy to get to. Great cell reception too.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 PM

Ain't the first and it won't be the last. Used to hunt up in 412 and have seen moose carcasses with only the choice cuts taken out. Reported it to the CO and have actually shown one to a CO that was driving around. Last one I saw was up Waiparous valley road past the bridge.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG HOPE View Post
The moose was only 2.4 kms from the main Trunk road TreeGuy. That just adds to my Frustration about the whole malicious act. It was on a cut line about a 4 min hike up. Sad really. It wouldn't have taken 4 men 35 mins to pack the whole thing out on foot. Post Script, it wasn't in an area that was not accessible, very easy to get to. Great cell reception too.

That's what I figured, although I hoped for a different answer. Thanks for bringing this crime into the light of day. Shoot me a PM sometime and I might be able to give you some tips for the area. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Tree
Old 10-11-2009, 08:58 PM

Good on you for reporting it to Fish and Wildlife. Without guys like you reporting illegal activities officers wouldn't be near as successful catching poachers. Keep it up!
Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 PM

I know 412 well, been hunting and quadding in there for years. I seen stuff like this before in there and also reported it to F&W.
Ask any CO in that area and he'll tell you what group is notorious for this kind of behaviour. No concrete evidence but chances are, if your guessin, your guessin right