Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2018, 07:58 PM

Default Bellator MMA....

So, flipping thru the channels and come across a Bellator fight...3 hour program. All I've ever gotten before is UFC. So, what's the history/origion of Bellater vs. UfC ? Looks like lots of known names here...
Old 10-13-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
So, flipping thru the channels and come across a Bellator fight...3 hour program. All I've ever gotten before is UFC. So, what's the history/origion of Bellater vs. UfC ? Looks like lots of known names here...
bellator has been around for a while a lot of good fighters have gone from uff to bellator a lot less crap and the best thing is no Dummy White.
more bang for the buck

mack
Old 10-13-2018, 10:53 PM

Default Same 4 awful commercials 🤬

Some great talent and some compelling fights but you have to watch the same 4 commercials over and over for paramounts stupid shows. Not sure it’s worth it ha
Old 10-14-2018, 02:59 AM

I’m glad chale sonnen got whooped. Can’t stand the guy.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I’m glad chale sonnen got whooped. Can’t stand the guy.
I enjoyed watching him get stopped last night.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:26 AM

With the exception of Mousasi, Bellator is still the minor leagues. Any big names they have are on the downhill slide.

Michael Venom Page is with their promotion and is a guy to watch however. Mousasi is currently eyeing retirement currently and is one of the most underrated fighters that ever put on MMA gloves. His career wins read like a who’s who of the mma world...
Old 10-14-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
Some great talent and some compelling fights but you have to watch the same 4 commercials over and over for paramounts stupid shows. Not sure it’s worth it ha
Yeah I PVR Bellator for that very reason. I don’t do commercials..
Old 10-14-2018, 09:28 PM

Smile

Bellator used to have a round robin tournament style that was really interesting to watch. They wouldn't rank their fighters. They let the fighters rank themselves by winning the round robin tournaments and moving on to the finals. They used to get some really great fights along the way. Mainly because everyone had nothing to loose and everything to gain. The farther they went the more $ they would earn. They earned money with each win and the purses got exponentially larger. So by the end the two best fighters had already earned themselves $40 to $50 grand and they were fighting off for another $50K.

It was a really great format. But it took too long to fight in one evening. So they stretched it over 5 or 6 weeks.

I'd like to see them get to that sort of format again. Even for only the preliminary fights that don't mean so much. Unfortunately they have taken all the fighters that have retired from the UFC and taken on the same format as the UFC to appease the fighters and give them the grudge matches that they were wanting. One's that the UFC wasn't willing to give them.

All grew up fighting and all I enjoy watching Bellator. Heck, when it comes down to it I like all MMA fighting, and even enjoy the local fights like HFC, and other small organizations.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Bellator used to have a round robin tournament style that was really interesting to watch. They wouldn't rank their fighters. They let the fighters rank themselves by winning the round robin tournaments and moving on to the finals. They used to get some really great fights along the way. Mainly because everyone had nothing to loose and everything to gain. The farther they went the more $ they would earn. They earned money with each win and the purses got exponentially larger. So by the end the two best fighters had already earned themselves $40 to $50 grand and they were fighting off for another $50K.

It was a really great format. But it took too long to fight in one evening. So they stretched it over 5 or 6 weeks.

I'd like to see them get to that sort of format again. Even for only the preliminary fights that don't mean so much. Unfortunately they have taken all the fighters that have retired from the UFC and taken on the same format as the UFC to appease the fighters and give them the grudge matches that they were wanting. One's that the UFC wasn't willing to give them.

All grew up fighting and all I enjoy watching Bellator. Heck, when it comes down to it I like all MMA fighting, and even enjoy the local fights like HFC, and other small organizations.

Bellator had a round robin before?? Are you sure you aren’t getting confused with strikeforce which the UFC ended up purchasing?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Bellator had a round robin before?? Are you sure you aren’t getting confused with strikeforce which the UFC ended up purchasing?
Bellator does have tournaments. They always have and still do. The Fedor / Sonnen fight was a tournament semi final.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:19 AM

[QUOTE=1899b;3855109]With the exception of Mousasi, Bellator is still the minor leagues. Any big names they have are on the downhill slide.
QUOTE]

100% Disagree.

Minor Leagues? ............ Fedor is minor league? There are quite a few names that didn't come over simply because of the money/contracts/sponsorships NOT because the UFC was "to tough" for them.

The real reason is that Bellator, as a promotion, allows their fighters to make money through their OWN sponsors and treats them like partners in the sport versus what that crook Dana White.

UFC starves their fighters and won't pay them a dime more than they can get away with and unless they are forced to, don't allow sponsorship of any sort that doesn't kick back to them.

Last edited by EZM; 10-15-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Tournament format Edit

In the past, Bellator has sporadically featured tournaments, unlike several other MMA promotions. However, in 2015, Bellator President Scott Coker made the decision to drop the 8-man tournament format in favor of smaller tournaments.[3]

Bellator included weight classes from bantamweight (135 pounds) through heavyweight (265 pounds) and tournaments in each weight class were conducted over a three-month period. Each tournament began with the opening round featuring eight fighters in that respective weight class, moved onto the semi-finals and then the finals. For four-man tournaments, only the semi-finals and finals were included. Each tournament was single elimination and there was a one-month break between opening round, semi-finals and finals.

During the tournament, the rules were slightly different from those of a non-tournament fight. Elbow strikes were illegal in the quarterfinal and semifinal tournament bouts due to the high probability of a cut occurring. Elbow strikes were legal in the finals. The tournament final was still three five-minute rounds, since it was not a title fight.

Bellator partnered with Rizin Fighting Federation for the RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND-PRIX event held on December 29 and 31 2015, sharing King Mo Lawal for the Rizin FF Tournament. The former Pride FC Heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko headlined the NYE Rizin FF main event.[4][5]

Bellator does not run regularly scheduled tournaments, however, they are always an option at Scott Coker's discretion.

Bellator was founded in 2008 by former Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. Under Rebney's ownership, Bellator featured "The Toughest Tournament in Sports", which was a single-elimination format that awarded the winner of each eight-person or four-person tournament a check for $100,000 and a guaranteed world-title fight against the current Bellator world champion in the applicable weight class. Since Scott Coker took over as president of the promotion, Bellator has stopped with the tournament format and now follows a more traditional MMA format with multiple 1 vs 1 fights placed on multiple cards throughout the year. Bellator switched their cage from a more traditional octagon, to a less defined one. The cage still has eight different angles, making it an octagon, but it looks more circular than its predecessor.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=EZM;3855701]
Quote:
With the exception of Mousasi, Bellator is still the minor leagues. Any big names they have are on the downhill slide.
QUOTE]

100% Disagree.

Minor Leagues? ............ Fedor is minor league? There are quite a few names that didn't come over simply because of the money/contracts/sponsorships NOT because the UFC was "to tough" for them.

The real reason is that Bellator, as a promotion, allows their fighters to make money through their OWN sponsors and treats them like partners in the sport versus what that crook Dana White.

UFC starves their fighters and won't pay them a dime more than they can get away with and unless they are forced to, don't allow sponsorship of any sort that doesn't kick back to them.

Fedor isnt what he used to be. You were impressed with his current competition? Mir and Sonnen are has beens. Bader will clean him up.

One thing about Bellator is they dont have USADA.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=1899b;3855713]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

One thing about Bellator is they dont have USADA.
That is incorrect.

Any and All MMA fights in the US are sanctioned and controlled by USADA. Not sure what you are referring to here.

Keep in mind USADA only has jurisdiction in the US.

UFC events, and Bellator events alike, are sanctioned and governed by the jurisdiction where the fight takes place.

Bellator has, and continues to suspend participants testing positive for banned substances.

I'm really not sure one is greater than or worse than the next. Combat sports are governed by laws if they are to be sanctioned (and insured) in the US.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=EZM;3855791]
Quote:

That is incorrect.

Any and All MMA fights in the US are sanctioned and controlled by USADA. Not sure what you are referring to here.

Keep in mind USADA only has jurisdiction in the US.

UFC events, and Bellator events alike, are sanctioned and governed by the jurisdiction where the fight takes place.

Bellator has, and continues to suspend participants testing positive for banned substances.

I'm really not sure one is greater than or worse than the next. Combat sports are governed by laws if they are to be sanctioned (and insured) in the US.
https://www.criscyborg.com/bellator-...-not-bellator/

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/bellat...ided-ufc-usada

Trust me when i say Bellator athletes dont get woken out of bed during training camps at 5am from USADA douche bags unannounced...

When a fighter competes in Nevada he gets the usual NSAC testing. When a UFC fighter competes in Nevada he gets the USADA testing + the usual NSAC testing.

Bellator is not and never has been teamed up with USADA.

Only the UFC brought in USADA on their own accord. USADA only has one contract and thats with the UFC no other promotions.

Last edited by 1899b; 10-15-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:20 PM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewb.../#167d56649aaf
Old 10-15-2018, 07:57 PM

You are pointing out the obvious ......... that many fighters, irregardless of where they fight, are going to be juicing. Any professional MMA fight that has been sanctioned in the US is governed by the USADA otherwise it doesn't happen.

Like I said, and take a moment to read what I said again .........

Any and All MMA fights in the US that are sanctioned and controlled by USADA.

USADA only has jurisdiction in the US.

The gross hypocrisy is that UFC fighters get caught juicing like Jon Jones, Vitor Belfor, and the king of monkey juicing Brock Lesnar, yet they keep fighting right????? so what's the difference? You are citing articles where dirty fighters get to fight in Bellator events overseas where their suspension isn't enforceable? LOL. No kidding. It's a dirty game. It's a business.

That has happened in the UFC and continues to happen as well.

You seriously think UFC fighter are clean?

You think Dana hands are clean?

I am seriously shocked you believe that and would sling mud over the fence at Bellator standing in Dana White's back yard hip deep it in.

Either way - who cares - guys are going to cheat and they should be suspended IMO but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 AM

Bellator has the usual athletic commission oversight. No USADA. Again USADA has one contract and one contract only. With the UFC..
Old 10-16-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
You are pointing out the obvious ......... that many fighters, irregardless of where they fight, are going to be juicing. Any professional MMA fight that has been sanctioned in the US is governed by the USADA otherwise it doesn't happen.

Like I said, and take a moment to read what I said again .........

Any and All MMA fights in the US that are sanctioned and controlled by USADA.

USADA only has jurisdiction in the US.

The gross hypocrisy is that UFC fighters get caught juicing like Jon Jones, Vitor Belfor, and the king of monkey juicing Brock Lesnar, yet they keep fighting right????? so what's the difference? You are citing articles where dirty fighters get to fight in Bellator events overseas where their suspension isn't enforceable? LOL. No kidding. It's a dirty game. It's a business.

That has happened in the UFC and continues to happen as well.

You seriously think UFC fighter are clean?

You think Dana hands are clean?

I am seriously shocked you believe that and would sling mud over the fence at Bellator standing in Dana White's back yard hip deep it in.

Either way - who cares - guys are going to cheat and they should be suspended IMO but I'm not holding my breath.
Im all for making it legal actually. Just like back in the Pride days. Enson Innou's contract stated outright " we will not test you" . I liked the wild wild west.
Since the inception of drug testing , there has been way way more injuires during camps with more and more fighters pulling out of their fights and longer recovery times.

Steroids= less injury and shorter recoup times.

Bring back the Mark Kerr, Mark Coleman and Don Frye days. I am friends with Gary Goodridge on FB and we have talked at length about this. lol...
Old 10-16-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Im all for making it legal actually. Just like back in the Pride days. Enson Innou's contract stated outright " we will not test you" . I liked the wild wild west.
Since the inception of drug testing , there has been way way more injuires during camps with more and more fighters pulling out of their fights and longer recovery times.

Steroids= less injury and shorter recoup times.

Bring back the Mark Kerr, Mark Coleman and Don Frye days. I am friends with Gary Goodridge on FB and we have talked at length about this. lol...
I had not considered the recovery / health benefits of steroid use. I basically thought (what most people think) regarding steroids;

- They are potentially dangerous for your health (when misused) but that could be said for many things we eat, what we choose to medicate ourselves with, etc... I guess

- They result in an unfair advantage over your competitor who is "clean" ultimately "performance enhancing drugs". This is the part I struggle with, are we seeing a seriously juiced up fighter with overwhelming strength, stamina and speed who wins a fight as a result of the drugs he takes? (and not on the merits of his training and techniques) Is that fair?

- They can be an effective tool to treat certain injuries and/or health conditions when prescribed and used as directed by a physician.

Having said that, I'm no expert in this area.

At the end of the day - if it's a "level playing field" then many of the issues or concerns about "fair play" are mute issues I guess.

Right now, as it sits, juicing is banned, so if you cheat, you should be suspended. That's my 2000 foot view on it.

I dunno.