Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2015, 05:44 PM

Default Started combining peas today.....

Took a test about noon and it tested at 14.4 so it was decided to fill a couple of trucks before the big rain tomorrow (yeah right!).

Old 08-05-2015, 05:44 PM

Nice rig. Hope the rain avoided you.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:56 PM

How many bushels are you getting an acre.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Gone Hunting

How's the B per A and grade looking?

Up here we are waiting on crop insurance inspectors before starting, if we combine at all.

From the road most crops look not too bad but when you walk in a ways you find a lot of empty pods and shriveled pees.
It is looking like a 90 percent loss at this point, but we'll see what the inspectors say.

This could be the earliest and poorest crop year on record when it's over.
Right now most of our fields are days from being ready to combine, a full two weeks ahead of the earliest we normally see.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-05-2015, 06:31 PM

The B per A might be 30...at the best....but the peas look really good. None of the machines have been calibrated and we didn't really expect to go today. And its nothing short of a miracle as these peas are just north of where I live and I have a gauge out and they have received only 1" all year. I think the saving grace is the fact they were seeded early and into good moisture. These two small fields were dessicated with Reglone on Thursday and will be seed for next year.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Gone Hunting

WOW ! That is very encouraging. We would be very happy with that.
Not a bumper year but it'd be close to average for here.

And you got that with only 1 inch of rain and you seeded early!!!

We were done seeding the first of June and we've had 1 1/2 inches of rain since the first of April.

We know the Canola will be top grade but low production and we know the Wheat won't be worth much but maybe, just maybe the peas will pay the bills.

This is exultant news for me. I need the fall income to make it through the winter, now that my only income is from odd jobs and my pension.

I think my boss, well really, my friend who gives me work when there is some. I think he would be happier with a total loss. Then he'd get more from insurance and have less costs.

Hey best wishes for your harvest! May you get more then you hoped for.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-05-2015, 07:26 PM

I think I will do some combining of peas tonight.

I will combine peas..... with CARROTS... for dinner hahahaha... yummy
Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 PM

Good looking set up and a beautiful day! Guys are going hard down here in the south. Most are doing 20-40/acre with odd few over 40. If you were lucky and caught a thunderstorm at the right time! I think your right in that the ground moisture was the saving grace this year. I have seen peas and lentils shoot roots 4-6 foot down looking for water. I think next year will be the real challenge if we have a dry fall and winter again! I'll pay ya $9.75 on your peas you can haul in tomorrow!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 PM

Just ate me some city grown peas. Yum. If a farm was nearby and sold pails of peas...I would be all over it daily. can't get enough
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-05-2015, 09:04 PM

We haven't had a general rain here this year, only showers. And certain areas have had quite a bit. But the land we farm has gotten very little but, that said, enough to grow a crop. Certainly won't be any bumper crops but better than lots of areas.

The combines are JD S680's with 40' headers.

The guys finished the first 60 acres and moved to another little piece and had to shut down as it wasn't quite ready yet.

B-rad, I have no idea what peas are worth....isn't my department...but if you are serious about wanting peas I'll inquire tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:18 PM

Hi guys, just to let you know I know nothing about farming or the farm life. But I have enjoyed this conversation so far.
I would just like to say thank you to those who farm and supply myself and the world with food to eat. I /we who have not experienced that lifestyle have no real concept of what is involved work wise and the risk or gamble that is taken by you every year. Mother nature can be a friend or your worst enemy.
Thank you for doing and loving what you do.
Keep the conversation going it sure is neat to get some insight into the farming industry.
Have a good night.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:41 PM

Thanks Sitting Bull. You should get out on a farm at this time of year and see what they are up to.....most don't mind an interested onlooker. They might even put you to work for a bit !!

Couple of weeks ago I was downtown and met an old friends mother...I am 62 so you can figure her age....and I've always shown her respect although she isn't my favorite human. She asked me what I was up to and I replied "heading out spraying" to which she retorted," so you're one of them ruining the world " and I said "no, I'm one of the ones feeding the world ! " She was at a loss for words, perhaps the for the first time !

Here's the field they had to quit as its a bit tough yet...basically out my back yard.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:43 PM

working in the Moosiman area of Saskatchewan today and talked to some farmers that have taken off winter wheat that is running 70-80 b per a and peas in the 40-50 range and from what they are telling me they had excellent hay crops.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:46 PM

Those harvested pea fields will soon be full of water fowl and big game
Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 PM

I've already seen deer and a few moose wandering thru.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Banned

Nice looking setup Bush. The last combine I ran was an 83 N6 Gleaner..."the silver seeder" I believe they called them back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJbO0quK-cU

Had an uncle pass away last week...I still remember them playing this song on a 45 when I was a young whipper snapper.

Hope everyone has as good a harvest this fall as they can.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:24 PM

B-rad, I have no idea what peas are worth....isn't my department...but if you are serious about wanting peas I'll inquire tomorrow. Quiote

Always looking to buy peas! I just love harvest time, go from a lazy summer day, cats sleeping on the weigh scale to bam!.. Full on harvest the next day. It may be a bit of a treck to get peas from provost to my plant by lethbridge but sometimes the dollars work and we can make it happen. Feel free to pm me your farms marketing department info and I can at least keep them updated with my current bids. Do you guys do green peas or lentils?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:39 PM

No but there's a few guys in the area growing lentils.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Banned

Default And another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Hi guys, just to let you know I know nothing about farming or the farm life. But I have enjoyed this conversation so far.
I would just like to say thank you to those who farm and supply myself and the world with food to eat. I /we who have not experienced that lifestyle have no real concept of what is involved work wise and the risk or gamble that is taken by you every year. Mother nature can be a friend or your worst enemy.
Thank you for doing and loving what you do.
Keep the conversation going it sure is neat to get some insight into the farming industry.
Have a good night.
Appreciate farmers efforts all the time and enjoy learning about what's going on in all those fields and farms. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Gone Hunting

We may not have the best harvest this year but if we have any it will be enough for me.
I sure miss the fall harvest.

Years ago I worked farm for a neighber. For eight years till he died from cancer I was his only hired man. Befor that I worked dad's farm/homestead growing up and brothers and BILs farms later in life.

For the past fifteen years my regular job kept me from working farms and I missed it a lot. But now that I'm retired I can again do what I love to do.

I'm no farmer, never was, but farming is in my blood and part of me will always want to be involved with the planting and fall work.

This fall, if we have a harvest I'll take my camera along to capture the hustle and bustle, the early mornings and late into the night work that makes harvest time something you have to live to truly appreciate.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 AM

Did some work up north of grimshaw. I was b.s.ing one farmer up there and he had two case combines chipped out pushing 600 hp. If I remember correctly a 120' headers on them.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Did some work up north of grimshaw. I was b.s.ing one farmer up there and he had two case combines chipped out pushing 600 hp. If I remember correctly a 120' headers on them.
Chipping a Case is the only way you get any performance out of them, and then they leave even more on the ground behind them. We should be introducing you all to Lexion combines.uploadfromtaptalk1438914435217.jpg
Old 08-06-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinN View Post
Chipping a Case is the only way you get any performance out of them, and then they leave even more on the ground behind them. We should be introducing you all to Lexion combines.Attachment 110325
Heard guys were having problems with them plugging up and needing sawzalls and air chisels to unplug them.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Heard guys were having problems with them plugging up and needing sawzalls and air chisels to unplug them.
News to me, and I've spent a lot of time on them. Nothing comes close for capacity, quality and losses. Plus the ability to maintain capacity in tough conditions.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinN View Post
News to me, and I've spent a lot of time on them. Nothing comes close for capacity, quality and losses. Plus the ability to maintain capacity in tough conditions.
Just going by coffee shop talk.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I think my boss, well really, my friend who gives me work when there is some. I think he would be happier with a total loss. Then he'd get more from insurance and have less costs.
When a farmer is declared to have a total loss, like I'm thinking the gentlemen whose land I hunt on will have, what exactly are they insured for? Is the payout based on some type of average yield?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:14 PM

Crop insurance records your yields from years past, and from that your averages are calculated. Depending on how much insurance you purchase, you are guaranteed a percentage of your "average yield".

If you purchase 50% coverage (minimum insurance), you are insured to be covered for 50% of your average yield. You can purchase up to a maximum of 80% coverage, which would insure you for up to 80% of your crop insurance average. Of course 80% coverage costs considerably more than 50% coverage.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
When a farmer is declared to have a total loss, like I'm thinking the gentlemen whose land I hunt on will have, what exactly are they insured for? Is the payout based on some type of average yield?
It depends what he's insured for ? If you choose to buy the insurance and qualify your premium is dependent on how much an acre you insure. You can choose a break even $/ acre or pay a higher premium and have a +/acre. But it's farm average so if 1000 acres were a 100% right off and 2-1/4's (340acres) caught rain and went 30 bu/ acre. ( Canola) that comes off farm average. Plus if you had any carry over from last years crop comes off aswell . Like any insurance they do all they can to pull money in on premiums and fight like hell not to pay it back out on claims.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
It depends what he's insured for ? If you choose to buy the insurance and qualify your premium is dependent on how much an acre you insure. You can choose a break even $/ acre or pay a higher premium and have a +/acre. But it's farm average so if 1000 acres were a 100% right off and 2-1/4's (340acres) caught rain and went 30 bu/ acre. ( Canola) that comes off farm average. Plus if you had any carry over from last years crop comes off aswell . Like any insurance they do all they can to pull money in on premiums and fight like hell not to pay it back out on claims.
Really?!? Wth does that have to do with this years poor crop?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

I'm glad others answer cause I've never been involved in that end of it.
I've run almost every type of farm equipment out there from my dads Super W6 International to My neighbors T900 Kenworth. I've done spraying, combining, tillage, run grain dryer, loaded Supers, milked cows, fed hogs and put in miles of fence but I've never been involved in the business side of farming.

George Bernard Shaw