Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2015, 06:28 PM

Default Distracted Driving

Please everyone, STOP texting and driving.

One of my best buds kids (8 years old) is in emerg right now after his truck got pounded from behind by a car doing 70km, never even tapped the brakes.
The 20 year old girl was texting and never even looked up and rear ended him at a red light. he said he saw her coming, but there was nothing he could do. All he did was turn his wheels a bit, but he said he regrets that as he ended up rear ending 2 vehicles instead of one.

It isn't exclusive to 20 somethings, I was beside a 40 something, texting all the way up 170th st this morning.

His kid is gonna be all right, but has at least a concussion right now, as they both had their bell rung and the kid is still puking his guts out,with a wicked headache.

He said if he was in a car, they'd both be dead right now, as the girls car plowed right under their truck all the way under the box. It drove him into the cars in front of him, and now he is being held responsible for that collision.

DONT text when your driving, and if you are in that habit STOP IT.
Most importantly, do what you can to educate both new drivers and older ones about this epidemic.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:59 PM

Yikes that's a nasty concussion
He's going to be in hospital for a bit.
Hope there is no life altering affects from this.

Jen.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Banned

Hope the little man is ok
Old 08-06-2015, 07:23 PM

Penalties should be the same as impaired driving!!!!! Hope youre buds are ok
Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 AM

He is responsible for hitting the vehicle in front of him even though he was rear ended? Whats up with that? It wasnt like he was "bumped" a little!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
He is responsible for hitting the vehicle in front of him even though he was rear ended? Whats up with that? It wasnt like he was "bumped" a little!
Weird eh. That's the way insurance companies work - they have their fault chart and stick to it. Getting rear-ended it's the guy in the back at fault regardless of circumstances. They would likely say that buddy was stopped too close to the guy in front at the light. If he had of been stopped at a proper distance back yada yada......
Old 08-08-2015, 06:43 AM

It has got to stop. We need demerits already.
My girlfriend and I witnessed a girl taking selfies from 17st overpass on henday all the way to whitemud. Then we noticed that was a baby in the back car seat so the cops were called and plate was reported.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
I have been in almost the same situation twice. In the first one, I was stopped and waiting for the light when a pickup truck whose driver was playing with his CDs rear ended the truck behind me, and that truck struck my car. My statement was that the truck behind me was stopped when he was hit, but his insurance paid for the repairs to my vehicle anyways. The driver later told me that the insurance for the truck that hit him later covered all costs, because of my statement that he was completely stopped when he was hit.
In the second incident, I had just stopped for the light, when the car behind me hit my car, and drove it into the car in front, causing minor damage. When the officer asked for statements, the girl in front of me stated that she didn't know if I was stopped or not when my car was hit, so I was found partly at fault, and my perfect driving record was ruined for six years. Only the driver of the vehicle behind me was charged, but I paid extra insurance premiums for six years. It may not be fair, but that is the way that it worked in my case.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

At the end of the day smarten the frig up people. See too much if this everyday, when a cop busts one of these wankers then people jump all over the cop, so this is for those who choose to be a wanker!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...