Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2023, 08:28 PM

Default F 150 ball joint replacement

So, it looks like I have to replace the upper ball joint in my 2006 F 150 and have resigned myself to replacing the entire upper control arm, thank you Ford. Been watching a couple of You tube videos. One shows a relatively simple way of removing the strut assembly that leaves the wheel assembly in place and a couple of others basically take the whole thing apart. I'm inclined to go with simple if possible,

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-18-2023, 08:39 PM

Nothing to it once you get started on it goes very easy.
Good luck.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 07-18-2023, 08:49 PM

Actually a good idea that the whole arm gets replaced. The rubber bushings wear out too. Remove the strut to replace.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:57 AM

Took me under an hour with basic tools to do my 2010.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:58 AM

Remove the upper strut nuts and the big bolt on bottom just use a prybar to move the lower part of strut out of its holder and then it’ll slide out of the way of your control arm bolts to get them out, then remove the upper control arm. Leave everything else in place. Strut can just hang there while you change control arm, then reinstall strut by just sliding it right back up into place tighten your top nuts and install big bolt and your done.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
Remove the upper strut nuts and the big bolt on bottom just use a prybar to move the lower part of strut out of its holder and then it’ll slide out of the way of your control arm bolts to get them out, then remove the upper control arm. Leave everything else in place. Strut can just hang there while you change control arm, then reinstall strut by just sliding it right back up into place tighten your top nuts and install big bolt and your done.
That sounds like the simple solution, Thanks.

Grizz

Old 07-19-2023, 01:02 PM

Just keep an eye out in that assembly - I could be wrong, but some of the bolts in there are one-time-use (stretch) bolts - so they need to be replaced at reassembly. I recall encountering that in one of my F150s when working on the front suspension/axle. Worth checking into.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:28 AM

If you are reasonably mechanical, you can do this job.

I am not overly mechanical, or at least I wasn't when I bought my 07 F150, 10 years ago, and this was one of the first repair jobs I did on my own. Remove and replace the whole upper control arm, as the bushings were bad.
My mechanic buddy told me how to do it. I watched a few you-tube videos like you did so I had something to reference as I went along, and away I went.

It took me twice as long as the trained expert time would take, but in the end it all came apart and when back together exactly as my buddy described and he saved me a pile of money. Not only that, I came out feeling like a king having done something I had never done before.

I did not not need to disassemble the entire set up. Just the strut. once that is off, and the lower control arm supported, its all easy-peezey from there.
Old 07-26-2023, 08:53 PM

Update. Relatively simple job that that most of the you tube videos over complicate. One telling comment, You all are taking way too much apart. I thought there might be an issue getting the strut out, but that was solved by rotating the wheel assembly forward. My PA ball joint disassembly tool I picked up on a whim once a time came in handy, minimized the beating on the wheel frame all the vids show. thanks guys.

Grizz

Old 07-27-2023, 12:47 PM

Remember when torquing suspension that the vehicle should be in the standard driving position. Failing to do that can cause premature wear on the torsion bushings.