Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 08:20 PM

Default Why do you fish?

Fished one of my favorite creeks one afternoon last week.
Water was high and slightly off color.
Met up with a landowner I had not seen since last fall....we had a good talk, it was good to see him again.
Waded about 2km of water.
Saw 2 bald eagles, watched a kingfisher do his thing, a few American goldfinch flutter among the bushes and two deer cross the water 50 yards upstream of me.
Sat on the bank a few times, saw some bugs, kept an eye out for bears
Never once thought about Covid
Thought a lot about those I fished with that are no longer with us.
Realized that I have more days on the stream behind me than ahead of me and wondered how many more trips I have left.
Made it back to the truck sunburnt, tired and with a sore back
A long drive back home
No pictures, no videos
Fish?...yes, caught two trout

It was a good day to be out....
Old 06-30-2020, 08:07 AM

Default nice

For me, it can't be just about catching big fish, or alot of fish. Sure, our summers are short and we want to maximize our time by having great fishing days.

However I value solitude over almost anything so I don't like to fish local ponds that I have to share with hoards of people.

Mystery also drives me. I've never been to lake X, I wonder how it fishes..or they reduced the stocking at Lake Y, I wonder how much bigger the fish are now..

Setting also plays a big part. I may accept catching smaller fish at a beautiful remote lake just for the scenery.

Of course there's Adventure...I've been lost in the bush, and on the road looking for remote lakes that hardly anyone goes to, but when you finally find that place you're looking for, the view of the water brings excitement of fishing somewhere new.

It's a beautiful world out there, lets go explore it...all of it..
Old 06-30-2020, 08:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

enjoyment that it brings to others and myself...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-30-2020, 09:42 AM

It’s all about the adventure, and the excitement of a fish on the line that never grows old. Been fishing for 37 years and the excitement is still the same. Not many things a person can do for years and years and the excitement still be there. Still makes you feel like a kid.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:48 PM

Because it’s like real life Pokémon

More likely it’s the challenge of coming up with a plan to complete the goal of outwitting the fish and exploring different places. I have taken this a step farther over the years by fishing with majority hand tied/made flies/lures. This now brings more in-depth preparation and satisfaction when everything comes together
Old 06-30-2020, 03:23 PM

I've been fishing for over 50 years. Major turning point early in that time span was starting to tie my own flies and success with those. So it's just been a learning experience and awareness of/and communication with nature ever since.

Now I just wish there was a bit more cooperation from the other side this year!
Old 06-30-2020, 03:49 PM

It used to be about trying new waters, different species, quantity, quality and enjoying the outdoors (wildlife, sunsets, weather watching, etc).

Learning to tie and fishing those flies is also cool (as previously mentioned).

The solitude is great and usually there is something to see or a wildlife event that you have never expected.

The excitement hasn't worn off but I've certainly slowed down a little more and tend to fish the same places more often than trying new spots. ( at least for the now :-)

As I get a bit older (or maybe life is a little more complicated than I care for it to be for various reasons at this time in my life) fishing is usually a way to move into a different mind set.

Usually, when on the water and the fish cooperate a little bit I'm engaged and thinking about nothing else.

Focused.

Being there, in the moment.

Lots of other reasons but that briefly sums it up.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:26 PM

It’s my serenity, my religion, my higher power, it’s AA cure to my illness, without it, I am nothing!!!!
Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 PM

Every time I fish is brings back memories of my Dad. Wonderful times fishing Mabel lake, Sugar, Keefer and Pinaus lake around Vernon. He taught me lots and fishing always makes me smile. Even when I get skunked😀
Old 06-30-2020, 09:26 PM

I just like all the free stuff.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-30-2020, 10:52 PM

Once read “A man might fish his entire life without realizing it’s not the fish he’s after”

As much as I love fishing, it’s just being out there that gets me. What makes me drive for hours just to scope out how things are coming along in spring on a bunch of spots I plan to fish. Or walking back to the truck on a hard day out and feeling lucky you’re there at all.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:02 PM

At this stage fishing is about keeping active in the outdoors and the occasional fresh fish supper when the fish gods allow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishing.jpg (24.7 KB, 53 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-01-2020, 06:56 AM

Fascination with the natural world and fish... including the ability to see the beauty of the fish, not just physically, but also behaviourally. I love the adventure leading up to catching a fish and also the trek back home. I find solitude out “there”, that no level of home relaxation can satisfy. Fishing is honestly never competitive, or a matter of besting anyone. If a friend catches all the fish the one day, I’m damn happy for them — quite often proud or stoked for them. Fishing isn’t always the pursuit of the biggest fish, either. Sometimes I fish for lake chub and suckers. Some people stick their noses up at these spp., but quite frankly there is beauty in all the species out there. Lastly, I do on occasion harvest fish, which adds an additional dimension in itself, as I love to cook, and using the freshest and highest quality ingredients is paramount to great food.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:32 AM

The scenery, the company/comraderie, and mystery of new water is what keeps me going. The fish are just a bonus!
Old 07-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Banned

For me, especially lately, it’s just more bonding with my Dad. And occasionally my son if I can get him out of bed.
This season in particular I’ve done a lot more fly fishing. I’ve got some new gear, done things I’ve never done before, started tying, etc. the peace and tranquility that it can afford to clear your head, at the bench or on the water, the stories and memories that you make, and just the overall experience. Like it has been said already, the fish are just a bonus.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:48 PM

Default So many great reasons!

I didn't know men could get so deep with emotions! Haha! Just kidding! But so many of the reasons above are so heartfelt and really depict who we all are as fishermen (women). I've been fishing since I was 5 years old, and unfortunately just started fly fishing when I retired in 2014. I was always curious about it but couldn't afford the investment it required. When I was young I fished to have fun with my friends out on the water for the day! Now at 65 I fish for solitude and to forget about the stresses of life and become one with nature again. I can really relate to what Pierre had to say in his reply.
And I also love tying my own flies and catching a fish with them is so rewarding. For me this season hasn't been great so far but I have too many balls in the air right now. Hopefully the fishing will pick up in the fall! Thanks for all your inputs it was nice reading them all!
Old 07-01-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
I didn't know men could get so deep with emotions! Haha!
Old 07-01-2020, 06:16 PM

In 2.5 days. I'll be an early arriver at the Maligne Lake parking lot. Likely the first out. Once I'm off the dock, electric motor on full, all is quiet - often a deer or two is near the lake. And they are not spooked by my presence. The view is a flat calm and crystal clear lake surrounded by miles and miles of pine forest leading up to still snow capped mountains. You can see the reflection of all this in the mirror surface next to you. The trolling rod is in its holder. Fish are rising constantly as you slip by. You take a sip of your coffee...almost expecting that is the moment the rod dips. You can't wait for it to happen!

As you get further down the lake, anticipation builds on your destination. A loon sounds off a few kms down the lake but you can hear the eerie echo beckoning you to see what is ahead. Now you don't even want to catch a fish. You know that a few kms down the lake is a spot where the chironimid hatch is in full swing. Now you don't even want to catch a fish trolling as it will delay your arrival at that perfect spot.

That is what Maligne does to me every time and around this time of year. The hatches are predictable and amazing. I can't imagine a better place to spend a day. If anyone here has not done this yet, highly recommend it!

Last year on the way out:
Old 07-02-2020, 05:24 AM
Banned

Why do I fish? To provide food for the table. Sure there’s enjoyment and relaxation in the sport, I fish to eat. I do not do catch and release. My wife and I fish stocked bodies of water, no where else.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:45 AM

I feel at peace with myself when fishing. To me there is nothing better than watching the sun rise while fishing. The peace and quiet while fishing in the early hours of the morning is one of the best things going in the modern hustle and bustle world. Keeps one's sanity in check. Catching is fun, but sometimes it is all about just enjoying time taking in the surroundings.

Teaching the young one's to fish has been a new amazing aspect to the hobby.

One has to have a hobby to keep you going, mine just happens to be fishing.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:03 PM

I used to be a driven fisherman, seems I wanted to catch more than anyone else. I outgrew it, and now I rarely fish alone, it is more about good company. My success seems to have taken a dive as well, I'm just not driven anymore. I guess it is a good thing, but kind of sad as well as I just cannot be bothered to chase a million little things. For me now they are either biting or not, doesn't seem to matter. Maybe someday I will get my passion back.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-03-2020, 08:36 PM
Banned

My father and son. Three generations all on the water. This is why
Old 07-03-2020, 08:52 PM

It's one of two places where I can find peace. I can actually let the world fade away, calm the storm that rages in my mind and just focus on one thing with no thought for anything else in the moment.

The solitude is a big part too. I only enjoy fishing with 3 other people; my dad, my lifelong fishing partner, and my wife. The rest of the time, I fish alone and prefer it that way. I often won't even get out of the truck if there's many others at the lake or on "my" section of the river. Instead I'll go another place even if it's less productive, just so I can be alone.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
I didn't know men could get so deep with emotions! Haha! Just kidding! But so many of the reasons above are so heartfelt and really depict who we all are as fishermen (women). I've been fishing since I was 5 years old, and unfortunately just started fly fishing when I retired in 2014. I was always curious about it but couldn't afford the investment it required. When I was young I fished to have fun with my friends out on the water for the day! Now at 65 I fish for solitude and to forget about the stresses of life and become one with nature again. I can really relate to what Pierre had to say in his reply.
And I also love tying my own flies and catching a fish with them is so rewarding. For me this season hasn't been great so far but I have too many balls in the air right now. Hopefully the fishing will pick up in the fall! Thanks for all your inputs it was nice reading them all!
Shucks Ann, you don't look a day over 50. See it's true, fishing keeps you young.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiceeslater View Post
Once read “A man might fish his entire life without realizing it’s not the fish he’s after” A
How profound.....I am going to use that...if you don't mind...

In all the posts, everyone is pretty much saying the same things; and I am no different.

For me, the whole fishing experience trumps putting fish fare on the table. I fully support the exercise of catch and release.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
How profound.....I am going to use that...if you don't mind...

In all the posts, everyone is pretty much saying the same things; and I am no different.

For me, the whole fishing experience trumps putting fish fare on the table. I fully support the exercise of catch and release.

Good luck,
That was written by Henry David Thoreau over 150 years ago, so probably is OK to use
Old 07-13-2020, 07:08 PM

Default haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Shucks Ann, you don't look a day over 50. See it's true, fishing keeps you young.
Haha! Funny Ian! Thanks for the compliment tho! I always fish for them if I can get them!
Old 07-13-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
In 2.5 days. I'll be an early arriver at the Maligne Lake parking lot. Likely the first out. Once I'm off the dock, electric motor on full, all is quiet - often a deer or two is near the lake. And they are not spooked by my presence. The view is a flat calm and crystal clear lake surrounded by miles and miles of pine forest leading up to still snow capped mountains. You can see the reflection of all this in the mirror surface next to you. The trolling rod is in its holder. Fish are rising constantly as you slip by. You take a sip of your coffee...almost expecting that is the moment the rod dips. You can't wait for it to happen!

As you get further down the lake, anticipation builds on your destination. A loon sounds off a few kms down the lake but you can hear the eerie echo beckoning you to see what is ahead. Now you don't even want to catch a fish. You know that a few kms down the lake is a spot where the chironimid hatch is in full swing. Now you don't even want to catch a fish trolling as it will delay your arrival at that perfect spot.

That is what Maligne does to me every time and around this time of year. The hatches are predictable and amazing. I can't imagine a better place to spend a day. If anyone here has not done this yet, highly recommend it!

Last year on the way out:
amazing photo and words.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:42 PM

I fish because it's one the few things that connects me to my youth and the memories of my scout days... fishing all the lakes we did.

I fish because it brings me closer to my teenage son who now comes out with me often and now asks "when are we going fishing again?".

I fish because when when I go out alone, the solitude brings me so much comfort. In such a busy and noisy world, just give me my boat and a quiet corner of the lake. I find great joy in this. It's very good for mental health!

I fish because it connects me to nature and water... which is very important to me.

I fish because I still and will always be chasing Walter.