Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 PM

Default Flyfishing for Pike

I was wondering if anyone knows if the south end of Newell would be good flyfishing for pike this time of the year or will it be better later when the water warms up some? Also I only have a 7 wt. rod and am wondering if that is a little on the light side?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:09 PM

I think you should be able to catch the northerns there on a fly rod this time of year but a 7 weight is a tad light. I would go with a 9 weight as a minimum.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:24 PM

Default Flyfishing For pike

Yes A 7 weight is a little light but it is possible to land big fish on the fly with lite tackle. I personal landed a pike of a life time last year 44.5 inch pike ,and he weighed in at just over 24 pounds" 6 wght rod". Not recammened but possible.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 PM

I leave my good rods at home for Pike, but i use a Canadian Tire cheapy for Pike and I like using a 7wt. Also if it snaps it's only a few bucks to throw away. I snapped one of my favorite fly rods up in the Territories fighting big Pike. That is why I buy a cheapy rod but love fighting them with the 7wt.
My $0.02 worth.
Dodger.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:50 PM

Default fly fishing for pike

Hey Dodger, would you know how to look up a line class to see if what i did with my 6wght was a record? But I agree its one hell of a rush when you get a monster on a fly rod!!!! Ya Baby
Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 AM

Hi River Rat.
Can't help you with the line class request. But like you say, fighting a big Pike on a fly rod is a gas.
Dodger.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:19 AM

Just a bit of advice here for those that do not have experiance but want to try fly fishing for pike.

The cheapest glass rod you can find will outlast the best graphite custom when it comes to bashing, flexing out of axis, and generqally abusing a rood on a big fish!

7wts are fine for pike, and so are cheap reels, but you may want to bring a spare rig just in case - and a cheap outfir allows that withpput breaking the bank.

I've been fishing for pike for other 40 years now in three provinces, and have broken way more expensive rods than my Heddon Pal 8wt glass job, which was my first, and still is my backup rod.
I've used it in Mexico, Ft. Chip, and on the Firebag when the graphites I was using broke on fish....

Cat