Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 AM

Default Lake trout

I am planning a trip to lake Minnewanka in banff in early part of june and really do not know much about the lake. Does anyone have any good ideas what to use there. I have heard about devils gap and that the fishing is usaully good there how far down the lake is it.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi View Post
I am planning a trip to lake Minnewanka in banff in early part of june and really do not know much about the lake. Does anyone have any good ideas what to use there. I have heard about devils gap and that the fishing is usaully good there how far down the lake is it.
Rossi, Devil's Gap is a LONG haul from the dock (25km ish). Once ya get into the back end past the narrows, it can get shallow fast, so heads up.

Jigging white tubes supposedly works well. We mainly troll. Once we find a school, we just keep passing through 'em. They do not seem to be fussy, in fact, if you put a treble on a Barbie doll and trolled it you'd probably ge a hit. The trick is putting one in the boat (which we haven't done yet with a big one).

The bottem can be pretty crazy in term of undulations so be prepared to work a downrigger on 3 seconds notice!

We've had so many problems out there it causes me to lose sleep at night...........thus the addiction!

Another thing to be aware of (and this is as serious as a heart attack man!), the weather can turn FOUL in a heartbeat! I'm talking big t-storms, high winds and 4'+ waves! Honestly.

One of the craziest memories that I will take to the grave with me, is coming back one night in the pitch black in a t-storm and watching the lightning strike the mountain tops on either side of us constantly! The sound of the thunder resonating in that narrow valley was insane too! But then, so are we!

Good luck man, and if ya happen to see 3 guys in a green 13' inflable running downriggers it's us! Come say hi!

Tree
Old 05-03-2008, 10:32 PM

Default lake trout

what the heck is a barbe doll? no idea: Have been half way down the lake to the log beach and rangers cabin how much further is it than that?. As far as down rigging why would you need to do so so early ij the season the lakers should be in shallow water.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 PM

They are shallow early on, 'riggers @ 30' work well in Minnewanka, your choice of gaudy spoon. White tube jigs are a go, fish your structure and there's some biggies close to the ramp.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:37 PM

Most lakers at Minnewanka are caught within sight of the dam. No need to go to the far end - except to enjoy the scenery!

White tube jigs work real well - just be sure that you're using a non-lead jig-head, as lead weights aren't permitted. Williams Wobbler spoons work well, as do Apex for trolling.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:46 PM

if u cant use lead what do u use for rigger balls?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 AM

The balls are ok. As long as it isn't small enough to be 'consumed' you're good to go.

Rossi, listen to Thumper. No one knows that lake better. We should be out on our first trip of the season on the first weekend in June. Good luck!

Tree
Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 PM

Thanks guy hopefully will see you there
Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 PM

To be more precise, when fishing in any National Park, it's unlawful to"fish with or possess within 100 metres of park waters
- any lead tackle (sinkers, jigs, lures and flies) under 50 grams"

Technically speaking, I suppose that as you're driving along the TransCanada Highway beside the Bow River - you'd be breaking the National Parks Act if you 'possessed' lead tackle !!!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Minniwanka Laker fishing

It is approximately 11 to 12 miles to run to devils gap. I run a 1950 Tyee gran sport with a 150. At a cruising speed of about 38 miles an hour it takes me about 15 to 20 minutes to get to the far end. As Thumper pointed out alot of Lakers are caught within sight of the dam which I fish alot, however I just have a need to run and gun on that lake. I usually run to the far end first thing then hit all my spots on the way back.

I have caught many lakers throughout the lake at my key locations, with plenty big fish caught at each end. The main reason for going to the far end first is we usually like to do a bbq shore lunch during the day. At the far end is a nice sight for this as it is sheltered and we don't have to worry about the tour boat coming by and sending big waves into our boat as it sits beached on the rocks. At this point he has to turn around and has to slow right down. It never fails if I land midpoint on the lake I have to run to shore and try to keep the boat from being bashed on the rocks. Plus I love to cruise on that lake, and there is less boat traffic moving in on your spots.

My main method is to jig with white, chartruese, or pink tube jigs. This is where the run and gun method really shines. Second choice is to run downriggers with spoons. My favourite is made by Lucky Strike called the Wordens Worry in a chartruese color with pink dots. Other choices are five of diamonds, williams whitefish, Williams flasher, or pixie spoons.

Another method is to drift across the deeper holes just off of points and shoals with salmon type jigs such as strikers, and buzz bombs. Aslong as they are heavier than the required 50 ozs which is about 1 3/4 ozs. I usually use 2 oz to be safe. Just put the rod in the holder and drift, especially with a bit of a chop on the water which gives it the jigging action. Works great.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards and Good Fishing

Alex Kreis
Old 05-06-2008, 06:26 PM

[QUOTE=Alex K;144973]It is approximately 11 to 12 miles to run to devils gap. I run a 1950 Tyee gran sport with a 150. At a cruising speed of about 38 miles an hour it takes me about 15 to 20 minutes to get to the far end.

Hey, Alex! It's just a matter of time - won't be able to do that much longer. It is coming, the use of gas burners will be forbidden there soon. Not sure that's a bad thing though. Slowing down boats does make for a quieter, cleaner and more environmentally-friendly scheme - and that's all it takes for the proposal to shut down outboards. No. I'm not left-wing or a "greener" but there are so many users, so little room left in anything controlled by the government as far as the outdoors rec industry goes that like it or not, some limits need to be put in place. With what's happened in this province in the last few years and the off-shoots of the unrelenting expansions of the oil hunters there can't be any alternatives. Lordy, I sure miss the not-so-old days when I could work and drive all day long and hardly meet a vehicle and the biggest concern was hoping a big bull moose, bull elk or herd of deer wouldn't make for a caved in grill on the pickup.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:53 AM

[QUOTE=sbtennex;144988]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
It is approximately 11 to 12 miles to run to devils gap. I run a 1950 Tyee gran sport with a 150. At a cruising speed of about 38 miles an hour it takes me about 15 to 20 minutes to get to the far end.

Hey, Alex! It's just a matter of time - won't be able to do that much longer. It is coming, the use of gas burners will be forbidden there soon. Not sure that's a bad thing though. Slowing down boats does make for a quieter, cleaner and more environmentally-friendly scheme - and that's all it takes for the proposal to shut down outboards. No. I'm not left-wing or a "greener" but there are so many users, so little room left in anything controlled by the government as far as the outdoors rec industry goes that like it or not, some limits need to be put in place. With what's happened in this province in the last few years and the off-shoots of the unrelenting expansions of the oil hunters there can't be any alternatives. Lordy, I sure miss the not-so-old days when I could work and drive all day long and hardly meet a vehicle and the biggest concern was hoping a big bull moose, bull elk or herd of deer wouldn't make for a caved in grill on the pickup.
Where did you hear about an engine ban on Minnewanka?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Default Lakers

Wow I give some advise on lakers and I am damaging the environment. First off Minniwanka is the only lake in Banff that allows outboards. 2 There is less boat traffic on Minniwanka than most other lakes in the province, it can handle the traffic it has. 3 it is a reservoir that has been flooded three times from it's original state so impact has already happened.

What will happen before boats are banned if the tree huggers have ther way is fishing in the parks will be shut down. I have heard way more talk of this than a concern for boating. The argument is you can not take flowers, wood, antlers or anything from the park yet they allow you to go and take fish from their waters.

There has been a push for this for years.

Sorry for the rant, it just bugs me to think the parks could be shut down to everything but bus loads of tourists flocking all the beautiful wonders of the park. While us locals that have been going since we were kids, camping hiking fishing and skiing will be on the outside looking in.

Best regards and good fishing

Alex Kreis
Old 05-07-2008, 05:13 PM

I agree with ya Alex. We get a much bigger wake to deal with in our little rig from the tour boats than any 'pleasure craft'. And even then it's nothing to worry about compared to when the big t-cells roll through. In my experiences on the lake, you can only really run flat-out in the early morning anyway. After that it can get pretty choppy. Besides, it's only open for 3 months anyway, and for the size of the lake, there is a pretty tiny amount of traffic IMHO. Can't wait to get out!

Tree
Old 05-07-2008, 06:21 PM

Alex,

Forget the bash and accept a big THANKS for the info! Love the show BTW.

Regards