Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2008, 05:47 PM
jrs

Default Red Deer River

I am planning on getting to know this river well this summer and would appreciate some info on good floats. Anyone know of some good fishing routes do-able in a day? Starting the float below glennifer is tempting but how long does it take to get to that next bridge? I'd imagine there would be a few decent side channel to try tracking some browns with the fly rod. I would think casting rapalas while drifting may produce a few fish as well. Anyone on here do this before? I have access to a canoe and zodiac, canoe is preferred boat for me.

That and does anyone fish the Red Deer near Sundre? Have you ever caught any cutties or bows? I know there's lots of browns, brookies, and bulls but I'm interested in what else to hope for. Thanks for any tips. I can't wait to get out and try some new rivers this summer. Will be a challenge compared to the Crowsnest or Castle which i grew up fishing.

I'm starting my research early so i can order maps and a few air photos.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:35 PM

I don't have an answer to your question, but I would be interested in doing a float down the river myself.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 PM

Look for an outfitter that works the river. He should be able to inform you of the put-ins and take-outs, as well as anyone who may be able to do a shuttle for you.....lol
Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 PM
jrs

I'm actually considering booking a day with a guide this summer for a float. May be worth the money to see what kind of experience it would be. I have been googling it and have found some interesting info. Not much for first hand fishing reports in my searches so far but some nice pictures, videos and approximated float times. I have a fishing partner to do the old drop a truck off downstream so no hitchhiking is needed to get home trick . Its no Oldman river from what I've found but its supposed to have a low density population of jumbo browns. Anyone hear what the most popular flys and hook sizes are? Thats always a good thing to know before the day starts.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:54 AM

You can float the river from glennifer to innisfail in a full day(8-10 hours). If you want to make two days of it there are a couple of nice spots to pull in and camp downstream from glennifer.

As for the fishing. I would pack flyrod and spinning gear. There are some excellent backwaters and deep holes for pike and walleye( and the occasional brown). And also some excellent runs for browns. I have found the silver and red X-rap to be my go to hook for the spinning gear, The walleye and pike smash that thing.( i've caught more than a few walleye over 10 with the x-rap). Also an orange 3/8 jig for the deep holes never fails. Also there are many runs for whiteys through there too. Give it a go. You won't regret it.

And the fly fishing... well it all depends on the day I guess.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:18 AM

I haved fished from the Joffre bridge down to the tolman bridge. Not many browns but lots of pike, walleye, and thousands of goldeye! My goto hook? green and black len thompson (in smaller sizes) if that does not work try yellow black 5 of diamonds. (buddies try other hooks but will usually ask to borrow mine when they see me pulling them in... I have hauled in huge pike, walleye, and many goldeye in the same pool without changing tackle.

later
Old 05-04-2008, 09:42 AM
gopherslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
My goto hook? green and black len thompson (in smaller sizes) if that does not work try yellow black 5 of diamonds. (buddies try other hooks but will usually ask to borrow mine when they see me pulling them in... I have hauled in huge pike, walleye, and many goldeye in the same pool without changing tackle.

later
x2 in the same area!!! Yellow and red 5 of diamonds also
Old 05-04-2008, 06:25 PM

I also fish the River upstream of content bridge very regularly, I have a dynomite secret spot near the Russel Gravel pit, pain in the ass to get to though.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Red Deer at Sundre

I have a trailer next to the Red Deer just West of Sundre and have been fly fishing it bit off and on for a couple of years. Was just getting to know it when the flood hit in 2006 and the river completely changed course and created a whole new challenge.

Watch the edges when wading as the gravel bottom has not settled and the sides break away quite easily, particularily where the edge drops into fast/deep water. That can be exciting if your wearing waders! I learned to run backwards on moving gravel a couple of times, kind of interfers with the cast technique!

Last year was spotty but did manage to get a few browns and bulls in the 10 to 16 inch range and a couple of small rainbows, like 6 inches or so. Have not caught a cutthroat in there as yet, but that is not to say they are not in there.

Ran into a couple of kayakers last year when scouting the river above the dam, asked what the though of the float from Sundre to the dam, their opinion was it could be dangerous with many sweeps and underwater hazards because the upper end changes so much. These guys were well equipped and seem to know what they were doing. They also said unless you have a lot of experience floating quick water they would not recommend it.

I took their advice mainly because I don't have the experience, and I would probably not get in much fishing if you had to pay that much attention to navigation. My pontoon is certified for class 4 whitewater, but I would rather fish than swim!

Anyway, that's all I know so far, more time this summer will give me a better feel.

Was up there today, most of the snow is gone, river is low and a bit muddy. Hope it clears at least for May long weekend and then the run off can start, I'll head for the lakes til it clears.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:16 PM
jrs

When you say muddy is it still fishable with hardware? I have a bunch of airphotos and was thinking of trying this weekend, i see a few places that look pretty darn good. I walked it in the winter scouting out some fishing spots and it looked promising. Sided a house and planted a couple thousand shrubs last weekend so I'm itchin to get out fishing again this weekend. Will have a report if i make it out, hopefully not as many death traps as my last trip west of Red Deer fishing.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Muddy Red Deer

I did'nt get right down to the water to have a good look, but from the bridge it was clear for the first 18 inches or so along the edge. The middle was muddy but not heavy.

You could be OK with hardware.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:59 PM

Glennifer to Innisfail easy day and good for the browns some bows latter whites a plenty the confluence of the Medicine can produce good Walleye and pike. Good for browns on the fly from Innisfail to Penkold Bridge 4-5 hrs you can make the Normandeau Park in a day from Innisfail by july goldeye will be up past Normandeau as well. Go east of Red Deer towards Blackfalds I find the Browns hard to come by after the blindman river enters. Walleye, Sauger a plenty be ready for great action just north of Canyon Ski Hill walleye to 10 lbs Burbank to Joffery Bridge 6 hrs.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 PM
jrs

Thanks for the ideas Donny Bear. I tried fishing in the city a few times last summer with no luck, think i had one pike follow a spinner in when i was looking for goldeye. The only luck i had was a nice walleye just downstream of Glennifer. I had a friend mention there being some good fishing downstream of the city so hopefully this summer. The upper Red Deer really interests me, from what i understand it does not get much fishing pressure and has some very challenging stretches. Will see, sounds like i may head south this weekend for some work related stuff but i really want to hit the upper Red Deer before the main runoff hits. I've yet to catch a sauger as well so I'm hoping to find one later this summer, i talked to a few guys that did okay last summer. Nothing exceptional though. Got to get the flyrod out for some goldeye, that was a lot of fun on the Oldman River as i was growing up.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Thanks for the ideas Donny Bear. I tried fishing in the city a few times last summer with no luck, think i had one pike follow a spinner in when i was looking for goldeye. The only luck i had was a nice walleye just downstream of Glennifer. I had a friend mention there being some good fishing downstream of the city so hopefully this summer. The upper Red Deer really interests me, from what i understand it does not get much fishing pressure and has some very challenging stretches. Will see, sounds like i may head south this weekend for some work related stuff but i really want to hit the upper Red Deer before the main runoff hits. I've yet to catch a sauger as well so I'm hoping to find one later this summer, i talked to a few guys that did okay last summer. Nothing exceptional though. Got to get the flyrod out for some goldeye, that was a lot of fun on the Oldman River as i was growing up.
Any Time Content to Tolman will be on the agenda tis year as a first and Sauger will be th focus!! Looking for a record