Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2008, 04:09 PM

Default perch

perch lakes within one hour of okotoks and how to catch them? any help would be apreciated.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:54 PM

I use 4lb test line and light tackle. usually a small bobber with about 4 to 5 feet of line with one or two split shots depending on depth i like to be close to bottom. I'll put a small hook tipped with a pice of worm if theirs a bait ban try a little jig with the bobber. Ive caught perch on almost anything that could fit in their mouths the most important thing is to locate a school and keep them interested once you hook one quickly pull it in and get you line right back out. dont be afraid to move around untill you find fish i never stay in one spot to long. Try along weed beds, you never know where thay might be perch are always on the move. Great eating too one of my kids fav,s my oldest daughter is a perch fishing ace I think its cause her hands are always bumping around she always out fishes me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perchpics1s.jpg (49.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 05-06-2008, 09:22 PM

How about right in the heart of Calgary, i have had a lot of fun fishing the reservoir for some time now, the perch fishing can be excellent at times with fish up to 14 inches and ya might hook into some great trout at the same time, i fish near the boat launch and use small jigs with a slip bobber, it seems to work great at times but you can have the normal off day as well, good luck
Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 PM

thanks for the help might try this weekend