Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 PM

Thumbs up Conservation Officers

Oh my I knew I had to post this ,This story might of made my Year.

Tonight I was out fishing at the NSR ( north saskatchewan river ) for those who dont know , Anyway we were fishing and the friendly Conservation officer pulled up . Asked us for our license's anyway theres this one fella there had 2 lines in the water CO asks him If somelse was fishing he said yeah my buddy just ran to Tim Hortons. he had no buddy there .Then the CO asks if he has a fishing license. And the fella couldnt provide on only had a WIN card , well over hearing the CO he tells the guy and must of found fish , after we had caught one and released it and he grabbed it and was going to keep anyway , I hear the CO tell this Gentlemen that two lines and no license were the least of his worry's . I also hear the CO pull up to buddy's truck , and took all his gear and the fish for evidence and gave the fella to appear in court slip . Oh man I havent laughed so hard in forever so in the mean time The CO comes up to us askes us for our licenses and to prove our barb's we pinched wasnt so picky about the hooks but wanted proof of license .So the moral of the story KEEP YOUR LICENSE ON YOU . Thought all you law bideing fishermen / hunters would enjoy this great story I know it might of made my year.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:55 PM

I am still kinda chuckling about this one, I was with BIGBADJOHN tonight at the NSR and yeah this guy when we pulled up had two lines in the water and a huge red target sign above his head. When the CO came up i quitely notified my other fellow fishermen that he had arrived as i noticed hime first.
I always follow the regs and rules.... The CO got out of his truck made small talk with myself and BBJ as he straightlined for the guy fishing with out a license.
I went over to produce my license and cooperate with the CO, he quickly checked my license and said give me a second I'm dealing with something here.
The guy was just asking for trouble... I mean fishing two line... more than 3 hooks in the water.... he had taken a fish that BBJ caught... and released, and said that these redhorse suckers were great on the BBQ.
Anyways.... like i posted on my fishing site....."Remember kids....lol always obey your local and provincial sportfishing regulations!"

I hate to say it but I don't feel sorry for the guy he had a win card and used the excuse that his buddy had run to Tim-E-ho's, pay the 26.00 fee and prevent any fines by pinching the barbs on the hooks!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:04 AM

I dont feel bad considering the other fella there saying that he got caught with a sturgeon in past hauled it into the bushes until the CO left but there was another fishermen called the fish and wildlife and busted the guy 6000 doller fine. I think that guy is in more trouble then he knows.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:32 AM

Default !!!

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!
we saw some morons get caught with undersized pike, too many rods, no license, and booze on the ice this winter too!!!!!
you just can't but that type of entertainment!!!!!!!!!
report every poacher you see!!!!!!
it's the right thing to do AND very entertaining!!!!!
gottaluvit!!!!!!
cheers, gw.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Great story BBJ, I seen similar situation at East Pit, but had no cell phone to phone in, however my question is while on the ice, ice fishing you can not have any alcohol for consumption at all ?,
My buddy would always pack a 12 pack and something something...,
I got to say it would've been a really boring time especially when fish don't bite.....
Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 AM

Default !!!

hey Morph,
as we understand it, if you are in a self-contained unit (camper,etc) you can drink all you like.
if not, same rules as on the hiway or in a boat...zero booze!!!!!!!!
someone PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong. i too would LOVE a frosty one while fishin'!!!
cheers, gw.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 AM

Oh man I love seeing senceless people get busted when they fully know there in the wrong. Makes my week , month , day, year.not to mention a great story to share for years.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:33 AM

Morph1, wildman is mostly correct about the booze thing. The charge for drinking on the ice, when not camping, is consumption of liquor in a public place. As wildman suggested as long as you are camping then consumption is legal. It is not enough though to just carry a tent or have a camper with you. You must actually be camping. You must also be within reasonable proximity of the camper. You can't set up a tent on the south side of the lake and fish, and drink, on the north side!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Nice story BBJ. It is always nice to here that the CO's are doing there job and fining ignornat people for not following the regulations.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Dont quote me on this but I remember hearing some where that its some 1000meters from your site to where your fishing. not sure how acurate that is but I remember hearing that before.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuCraM View Post
Nice story BBJ. It is always nice to here that the CO's are doing there job and fining ignornat people for not following the regulations.
Yep it is , well said my friend well said.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 AM

Were they CO's or Fish and Wildlife Officer's?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM

Conservation officers , carrying a side arm and all.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 AM

Conservation officers are the old park rangers. Fish and wildlife officers are fish and wildlife officers. CO's patrol provincial parks and recreation areas and do enforce the fish and wildlife act within the parks. Fish and Wildlife officers patrol the rest of the province. Do not call a true blue fish and wildlife officer a CO, you may cause them to get grumpy with ya!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM

Oh I dont know he was wearing all green with a flashy police belt , Im sertin his truck said conservation officer with a fish and wildlife picture .This is what it looked like .

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 05-07-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Dont quote me on this but I remember hearing some where that its some 1000meters from your site to where your fishing. not sure how acurate that is but I remember hearing that before.
Nope.
I don't know the law, but I do know you cannot park your camper, walk 1 KM to the lakeside or river and start drinking beer and think its legal. Even if you are camping.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
he had taken a fish that BBJ caught... and released,
hunh? what did he jump in and grab it as you released it?? im confused....

M
Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Oh my I knew I had to post this ,This story might of made my Year.

Tonight I was out fishing at the NSR ( north saskatchewan river ) for those who dont know , Anyway we were fishing and the friendly Conservation officer pulled up . Asked us for our license's anyway theres this one fella there had 2 lines in the water CO asks him If somelse was fishing he said yeah my buddy just ran to Tim Hortons. he had no buddy there .Then the CO asks if he has a fishing license. And the fella couldnt provide on only had a WIN card , well over hearing the CO he tells the guy and must of found fish , after we had caught one and released it and he grabbed it and was going to keep anyway , I hear the CO tell this Gentlemen that two lines and no license were the least of his worry's . I also hear the CO pull up to buddy's truck , and took all his gear and the fish for evidence and gave the fella to appear in court slip . Oh man I havent laughed so hard in forever so in the mean time The CO comes up to us askes us for our licenses and to prove our barb's we pinched wasnt so picky about the hooks but wanted proof of license .So the moral of the story KEEP YOUR LICENSE ON YOU . Thought all you law bideing fishermen / hunters would enjoy this great story I know it might of made my year.
lol thats awesome. He must of been pretty desperate if he was mooching off fish you were releasing. My only poaching story is once at the red deer river these guys kept like 5-7 walleye that were all like 3-4 pounds. I caught one that night and they looked at me like i was crazy when i released it lol. We phoned in about it but they werent in a vehical so couldnt really give fish and wildlife a lot of info

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM

Angry something fishy ya think

I was at one of our local gas stations one morning purchasing my fishing lic. and there were a group of 5 people in front of me and only one of them appeared to speak english. Will not say what language don't want to put foot in mouth but they usually keep everything they catch. Anyway they were also buying fishing lic. The problem was, only two of them had I.D. on them. When one purchased their lic. he would move out of the way and while the other got his lic. the first one would hand his I.D. to one of the other guys and this went on until they all had there lic. I asked the poor kid behind the counter if he had noticed anything strange about that group and he said no. I asked him if he noticed they all had the same name and again he said no but they all seem to have the same name anyways. Last thing I heard was laughter and the door closing. Of course this was before the WIN card. I told him what they did and did not even seem to phase him. Where ever they went I can bet you my boat that whatever they caught they kept. Pike, Walleye, Suckers, Perch, Whitefish and anything else that would bite
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarki View Post
hunh? what did he jump in and grab it as you released it?? im confused....

M
its exactly what he did . I released it back into the water and he grabbed it said good to eat if bbq , I looked at em like he was crazy or something , wouldnt catch me keeping and eatting any fish outta this river not even if you payed me .
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
its exactly what he did . I released it back into the water and he grabbed it said good to eat if bbq , I looked at em like he was crazy or something , wouldnt catch me keeping and eatting any fish outta this river not even if you payed me .
Same thing with these other guys keeping eyes out of the red deer, the river has mercury in it. And thats brutal, people grabbing fish your releasing, thats like having someone running over to your ice fishing hole and grabbing your fish you releases before it clears the ice

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 05-08-2008, 12:13 AM

some peoples kids who lets them into the world
Old 05-08-2008, 01:00 AM

Fine..............someone gotta say it, so it may as well be me.

I could give a sh#t who you are and where you're from, just play by the rules please and don't try and get 'em changed 'cause some dude smacked ya in the head for breaking them!

Tree

Last edited by lilsundance; 05-08-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: remove racial comment
Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 AM

if some of these folks come to our country and dont follow our laws should be delt with accordingly and I think the way they delt with it last night was pretty lucky for the gentlemen.

Last edited by lilsundance; 05-08-2008 at 07:42 PM.