Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Very nice rifles.
Thanks 58thecat. I sure enjoy using my dad's 30-06, that way when I am hunting I feel like he is with me. He was my best friend and a great guy!

I decided to get the 300 WSM with the Huskemaw, because I have seen to many animals that I have had to let walk because I don't like guessing hold over with the Rainguard, with the Huskemaw all of the guess work is taken out of the equation. Plus the custom stock on my 30-06 was getting scratched up and I do not want to damage it any more then I have.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
with the Huskemaw all of the guess work is taken out of the equation.
You can never eliminate all of the guesswork, no matter how much you want to. The wind direction and speed can vary considerably over longer distances, and even a few mph error in wind estimation can result in a miss or worse yet a wounded animal at long range. Given that you have have no way to measure the wind direction and speed all the way to the animal, you still need to do some guesswork.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You can never eliminate all of the guesswork, no matter how much you want to. The wind direction and speed can vary considerably over longer distances, and even a few mph error in wind estimation can result in a miss or worse yet a wounded animal at long range. Given that you have have no way to measure the wind direction and speed all the way to the animal, you still need to do some guesswork.
I will not disagree with that, however compared to the Rainguard Elite, night and day buddy, night and day!
Old 12-28-2014, 09:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I believe edmhunter was pertaining to "ranging" accurately thus eliminating the hold over factor. Range and windage can always be compensated for and you are right the hardest is windage but technology has sure come a long way to make things simpler.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I believe edmhunter was pertaining to "ranging" accurately thus eliminating the hold over factor. Range and windage can always be compensated for and you are right the hardest is windage but technology has sure come a long way to make things simpler.
I found with a mind meter along with the Wind compensation technology that is built into the Huskemaw are pretty darn good. Works for me anyway.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
A requirement to keep them maintained and cleaned.

The article the OP quoted is the equivalent to a scaffolder comparing safety harness performance after he throws them into a pile on the floor every day after the rain and drags them home along the ground.

Safety/life saving equipment is just that, why someone would not take care of it is beyond me.
I'll take the safety harness that will take abuse thank you very much.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-28-2014, 09:52 AM

I have never used a a Huskemaw....know very few folks who have or do, not sure if any F-class guys use them in competition? Maybe they are good for kids or folks who don't want to count clicks or folks who don't experiment much with their ammo, or don't reload and only feed their gun one load. Nothing wrong with that but I like to reload and play around....a custom to one load turret prevents that. The Sightron Siii works great in that regard....its flexible!

Are they the "whisker biscuit" of the rifle shooting world? They work decent but no "professional" would stake their reputation on one

LC
Old 12-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have never used a a Huskemaw....know very few folks who have or do, not sure if any F-class guys use them in competition? Maybe they are good for kids or folks who don't want to count clicks or folks who don't experiment much with their ammo, or don't reload and only feed their gun one load. Nothing wrong with that but I like to reload and play around....a custom to one load turret prevents that. The Sightron Siii works great in that regard....its flexible!

Are they the "whisker biscuit" of the rifle shooting world? They work decent but no "professional" would stake their reputation on one

LC
lol, I only shoot factory loads, have shot with guys that load their own and shoot way more then me x 100 and out shoot them with my set up.

Last edited by edmhunter; 12-28-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Range and windage can always be compensated for and you are right the hardest is windage but technology has sure come a long way to make things simpler.
Technology has come a long ways, but it hasn't eliminated the requirement for guesswork yet. It's actually entertaining to watch some of the younger shooters at the local range. They have very little experience, but they have all of the technology that a person can reasonably purchase, and they just can't understand why the bullet doesn't always strike where their calculations tell them it should.They run calculations on their phone, and then they use the windmeter, and then dial the scope, and they still miss clays at 500 meters on a regular basis off of the bench. They get quite frustrated, and everything from the calculations, to the wind meter, to the scope gets blamed, because they don't want to admit that they can't reliably calculate all of the variables.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
lol, I only shoot factory loads, have shot with guys that load their own and shoot way more then me x 100 and out shoot then with my set up.
My point is whether you have a Huskemaw or a "rain guard" that skill should be inherit to you and not the setup....

People subscribe to the "shooting system" makes me a sniper attitude, it's powerful marketing IMHO.

LC
Old 12-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
My point is whether you have a Huskemaw or a "rain guard" that skill should be inherit to you and not the setup....

People subscribe to the "shooting system" makes me a sniper attitude, it's powerful marketing IMHO.

LC
Oh I am skilled enough, the Huskemaw only makes me a better shot. In any case this thread is not about who can shoot it's about rifle reliability and the scope you use with your rifle has lots to do with it IMO, so back on topic please.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:04 AM

Can I ask what is your preferred factory load?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:

LC
This marketing works, because today's society wants things quick and easy, with little to no effort required. People don't want to have to shoot regularly to develop skill and experience, they want to buy the skill instead.

We even had one person show up to shoot skeet with a holographic sight on his shotgun, thinking that it would be a huge advantage, needless to say, it was a huge failure.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Oh I am skilled enough, the Huskemaw only makes me a better shot. In any case this thread is not about who can shoot it's about rifle reliability and the scope you use with your rifle has lots to do with it IMO, so back on topic please.
The reliability of your shooting system, is as important as the reliability of your rifle. If technology is part of your shooting system, then the reliability of that technology is certainly relevant.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Can I ask what is your preferred factory load?
When the boyz at Corelanes set up my 300 WSM with the huskemaw, they shot many different rounds with it and discovered that the Nosler Trophy Grade Accubund 180 grain shot the truest with my rifle. So the Huskemaw turret was calibrated with that shell and that's what I shoot. BANG............WACK!!!! lol

Last edited by edmhunter; 12-28-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Technology has come a long ways, but it hasn't eliminated the requirement for guesswork yet. It's actually entertaining to watch some of the younger shooters at the local range. They have very little experience, but they have all of the technology that a person can reasonably purchase, and they just can't understand why the bullet doesn't always strike where their calculations tell them it should.They run calculations on their phone, and then they use the windmeter, and then dial the scope, and they still miss clays at 500 meters on a regular basis off of the bench. They get quite frustrated, and everything from the calculations, to the wind meter, to the scope gets blamed, because they don't want to admit that they can't reliably calculate all of the variables.
At a Pointer Party a few years back one of our members asked me how I was able to shoot at long range without wind meters , scopes and such
( he was referring to me shooting Palma match rifles)
For a lark I pointed at ol' sullijr and said " go ask that old guy, he'll be able to explain it to you better than I can"
By the time Jack had finished explaining just how to dope the wind at distance and how things change when the bullet can get to the top of its trajectory, and then working mirage into the equation, think our friend wonder how we can hit anything at all past 300 yards!!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-28-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
When the boyz at Corelanes set up my 300 WSM with the huskemaw, they shot many different rounds with it and discovered that the Nosler Trophy Grade Accubund 180 grain shot the truest with my rifle. So the Huskemaw turret was calibrated that shell and that's what I shoot. BANG............WACK!!!! lol
Do you have a large amount of them from the same lot? How far are you confident and taking animals with this setup?

Last edited by Bergerboy; 12-28-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Ummmm.....you are the one who brought up Huskemaw again.....

LC
Old 12-28-2014, 10:19 AM

I've seen scopes let go i the field, but have only seen a few real failures as gar as rifles go.
One was a firing pin that broke after the guy shot a deer. The next time he fired the rifle it was about a month later at the range, so the pin obviously broke when the gun was last fired- which was when he killed the deer.
A few cases of Enfields tearing off case heads, but the ammo had been hand loaded several times, so if it were factory ammo I doubt that would happen with those old guns.
Another was a firing in on a shotgun, but it was an O.U so one barrel was still used.
Never seen an extractor or trigger let go however in the field, but sure have at the range!
Cat
Old 12-28-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
At a Pointer Party a few years back one of our members asked me how I was able to shoot at long range without wind meters , scopes and such
( he was referring to me shooting Palma match rifles)
For a lark I pointed at ol' sullijr and said " go ask that old guy, he'll be able to explain it to you better than I can"
By the time Jack had finished explaining just how to just how to dope the wind at distance and how things change when the bullet can get to the top of its trajectory, and then working mirage into the equation, think our friend wonder how we can hit anything at all past 300 yards!!
Cat
Unfortunately, most newer shooters that are trying to shoot longer distances are just as clueless as to the realities of long distance shooting, because all that they see is what is shown on Wild TV. It would do some of those people good to shoot alongside someone like sullijr, but getting humiliated by the fellow that doesn't use windmeters or other new technology, might be a blow to their egos.

Quote:
Do you have a large amount of them from the same lot? How far are you confident and taking animals with this setup?
Not only lot number, but the ammunition manufacturers also change the actual load recipes from time to time. That is just one more reason that the more serious shooters hand load.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Gentlemen, we can all agree that technology has set us up to become more competent riflemen BUT is no substation for shoot, shoot and shoot some more in order to hone our skill.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Good question, when I buy my shells I make sure all boxes have the same lot # and buy them in quantities.

I am sorry for bringing up, whatever I brought up to derail this thread. I thought I was on topic!
Old 12-28-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Good question, when I buy my shells I make sure all boxes have the same lot # and buy them in quantities.

I am sorry for bringing up, whatever I brought up to derail this thread. I thought I was on topic!
The reason why I ask is this, I have found in order to shoot accurately if I remove the variable of inconsistent ammunition then its just down to me shooting. To establish this I go through great lengths to have consistent bullet and powder lot numbers, always trickle powder to 0.1 grain, make sure my bullet seating is the same blah blah blah. I have taken apart factory 300 win mag ammo to reload for a friend and I was amazed at how inconsistent the powder weights were as well as the seating depths measured from the ogive. This is probably fine for your average 200m hunting shot but no good for long distance shooting. Why would you spend all that money on that rig and considering your passion for hunting, and not take up reloading?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
The reason why I ask is this, I have found in order to shoot accurately if I remove the variable of inconsistent ammunition then its just down to me shooting. To establish this I go through great lengths to have consistent bullet and powder lot numbers, always trickle powder to 0.1 grain, make sure my bullet seating is the same blah blah blah. I have taken apart factory 300 win mag ammo to reload for a friend and I was amazed at how inconsistent the powder weights were as well as the seating depths measured from the ogive. This is probably fine for your average 200m hunting shot but no good for long distance shooting. Why would you spend all that money on that rig and considering your passion for hunting, and not take up reloading?
Because I have found no appreciable difference in high quality factory loads over hand loads and because I can afford them.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Because I have found no appreciable difference in high quality loads over hand loads and because I can afford them.
ok
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Because I have found no appreciable difference in high quality factory loads over hand loads and because I can afford them.
If you don't have the motivation, knowledge and experience to develop the most accurate handloads for your rifle, this can be a true statement.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:46 AM

Agree....to put 100% faith in a factory offering for a "shooting system"...is naive. Wait till they change or discontinue that load offering, then you are back to square one. The custom turret is rendered useless.....but if you only fire 1-5 shots a year a box of shells should last 4-5 or more years. I am not so confident that I can only shoot 5 times a year and call my self proficient or an expert.

The generally accepted number of hours spent to become an "expert" in anything is 10,000 hours...Malcolm Cladwell researched and wrote a book which includes the topic.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-28-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:

When ya get a chance can you tell me where the lot numbers are on the Nosler Custom box?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Agree....to put 100% faith in a factory offering for a "shooting system"...is naive. Wait till they change or discontinue that load offering, then you are back to square one. The custom turret is rendered useless.....but if you only fire 1-5 shots a year a box of shells should last 4-5 or more years. I am not so confident that I can only shoot 5 times a year and call my self proficient or an expert.

The generally accepted number of hours spent to become an "expert" in anything is 10,000 hours...Malcolm Cladwell researched and wrote a book on the topic.

LC
With the Huskemaw all you have to do is tell them what load your are shooting with and they will etch and send you as many custom turrets that you want.

L-C, if you ever want to have a shooting challenge, by all means I am game! You bring your hand loads, I will bring my factory Nosler Trophy Grade Accubonds. Lets shoot up to 800 yards. Winner gets a free beer!

Just out of curiosity what is your favorite hunting rifle and what scope do you shoot with? A picture would be nice
Old 12-28-2014, 10:55 AM

It's a work in progress....here is a thread on it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=Scoped+ready

Prior to this one I used my trusty .270 win....it's killed a lot of game for me.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-28-2014 at 11:01 AM.