Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-09-2020, 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=wildwoods;4125737]I am not super unhappy with the Badlands case (same one you got). The Kuiu (Pro model, their basic model sucks) is just super low profile and made to shed weight more than anything. I can fit a small mouth call in the side pouch and wind checker in the other side. I did not care for the Badlands snap rings as I found them very cumbersome.
I went to a rangefinding bino and did not require that bottom shelf any longer. I lost a set of binos tromping through the deep snow out of my badlands case. I did not like the tethering system and was not using it- big mistake. They bounced out of the pack and I never found them. I am not a fan of how loud the magnets are for bowhunting either.

This is where I’m at too. I like my badlands harness but the magnets closing the thing are quite loud if your not careful. I’ve heard of guys lining the magnet edges with felt, gonna try that first
Old 09-15-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk View Post
I love my Alaska guide creations. You'll never go back to a harness bouncing all over the place once you use one.

I keep my binos in the main pouch and my range finder in the front zip pocket. The side zip pockets hold my main headlamp, chapstick, extra batteries for the headlamp and rangefinger, extra small multi-tool, glass cleaning cloth...

I know some guys will say it's too bulky and you don't need all that stuff hanging off of your chest, but not having to dig in my pack whenever I need those things is just too convenient, especially the headlamp.

I don't find shooting prone to be an issue. I don't run a bipod to save weight, so I'll shoot with the front of my rifle off my pack, and unclip the two lower buckles on the harness so I can use it as a makeshift rear bag. Super convenient.
X2. Bought one for this fall and so far loving it.

DR
Old 09-15-2020, 07:29 AM

I was gonna buy an Alaska Guide Creation, but the Badlands X harness went on sale half price at Cabelas. It is a very good quality harness. Still on sale, I believe. Sure, Ford makes Platinums, but a Lariat is pretty dang nice too. Really.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I was gonna buy an Alaska Guide Creation, but the Badlands X harness went on sale half price at Cabelas. It is a very good quality harness. Still on sale, I believe. Sure, Ford makes Platinums, but a Lariat is pretty dang nice too. Really.
I had a Bad Lands and liked it except.....................I have a lonnngggg beard and it get trapped in the magnetic opening every time I close it. Verrrrry irritating. Sold it and bought an AGC for mainly that reason
Old 09-15-2020, 10:16 AM

I really like the Badlands cases, for me magnetic is the way to go. Quiet & one handed.

Really any of the FHF, Alaksa Guide, Badlands & Kuiu cases are great. Just grab the best one for your needs.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:08 AM

I tried a couple different harnesses, Vortex and something else, and didnt like either of them. Finally I just bought a light pair of 8x30 binoculars, and now wonder why it took me so long.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I tried a couple different harnesses, Vortex and something else, and didnt like either of them. Finally I just bought a light pair of 8x30 binoculars, and now wonder why it took me so long.
ah yes, the bush hunting master only needs small glass.
Looking forward to see what you drop this year!
Old 09-16-2020, 06:31 PM

I sure like the look of the marsupial, it may end up on the Christmas wishlist. Any vendors here in Canada? (I'm not seeing any)
Old 05-01-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Some good information on here. Watched a few youtube videos on some of the suggested products. Like the marsupial setup.

For any posters that run a particular brand, care to have a look and see where is't made? I don't care to and won't purchase overpriced gear made in China.
I know the marsupial is made in the US which is a big selling feature to me.
https://www.marsupialgear.com/collec...32741227298902

Picked this up at the post office a couple weeks ago and finally had a chance to use it today (turn around season so far too busy at work). Threw it on with a big pack and went for a hike, wanted to see how it fit with a pack on. Seems to be exactly what I was hoping and looking for. Fits tight to body, super easy use, quiet to open and close...no complaints.
Jim seems to be a great young guy and designed this as a hunter himself. Nice to support a small business that's made in NA and seems to be top notch gear.
Hunting gear seems to be one of the few things we have quite a few options for being made in the US vs. China

10x42 swaros fit the small size perfect

Last edited by MountainTi; 05-01-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
https://www.marsupialgear.com/collec...32741227298902

Picked this up at the post office a couple weeks ago and finally had a chance to use it today (turn around season so far too busy at work). Threw it on with a big pack and went for a hike, wanted to see how it fit with a pack on. Seems to be exactly what I was hoping and looking for. Fits tight to body, super easy use, quiet to open and close...no complaints.
Jim seems to be a great young guy and designed this as a hunter himself. Nice to support a small business that's made in NA and seems to be top notch gear.
Hunting gear seems to be one of the few things we have quite a few options for being made in the US vs. China

10x42 swaros fit the small size perfect
Just a shameless plug for the Marsupial bino harness I picked up this spring.
It's now been in the mountains on a few sheep hunts and more recently an elk hunt. It has performed flawlessly and is of superb quality. My only regret is not buying one sooner.
Highly recommend the range finder pouch as well. I find with it being in such easy reach that I use it far more often now.
Not a thing I would change about it. Should keep the binos in better shape as well, which was the reason I started looking into one