Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 07:18 PM

Default Ontario knife rat 1, D2 steel quick review

Just throwing out a down and dirty review for this knife. I dont ever do reviews, but this little folder is solid.
I use it as a daily carry, it's big enough to be a real knife, but still decent to carry.

-D2 steel outperforms my expectations, holds an edge very good and one of my easiest to get shaving sharp useing Diamond or oil stones.
-Scales on knife suck, I dont know what material it is, let's just call it plastic.
-the shape of the handle is large enough and very comfortable, blade shape is good, fit and finish is good.
Locking mechanism is solid

I've had the knife for almost a year now. I've put it through its paces. I'm not a knife flipper, or a cardboard cutter. But it's with me every day. It sure doesnt look pretty anymore. But it's as solid and tight as the day I got it.
Think I paid 65.00 for it. It has to be one of the best values in folders.
Check it out
Brad
Old 09-16-2020, 08:19 PM

Personally I will never buy another knife from Ontario Knife Company after what they did to Jeff over the RAT line of knives. I would rather spend the extra to get the ESEE line which Jeff now produces. The fixed blades have a better heat treat and much better handle design.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-16-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Personally I will never buy another knife from Ontario Knife Company after what they did to Jeff over the RAT line of knives. I would rather spend the extra to get the ESEE line which Jeff now produces. The fixed blades have a better heat treat and much better handle design.
Explanation?
Old 09-16-2020, 08:33 PM

The short story is Jeff had his designs produced by ONC, they then decided to sue Randalls Adventure and Training (RAT) because ONC felt the RAT trademark belonged to them even though RAT had been using it long before. Im not entirely sure how it ended as Jeff kept pretty quiet on the subject but there was a very lengthy court battle over it and Jeff now produces the ESEE line which is very similar to the original RAT knives only with much better quality. There is some info on Bladeforums if your so inclined to look up the whole story.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-17-2020, 07:48 AM

I was un unaware. I dont like supporting ****ty companies. I will look at the ESEE knives, look in th this.
Thanks