Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 02:59 PM

Default Tesla Autodrive System Must be Good!

So reading a story today about some 20 year old from BC driving the QEW by Ponoka. Had his Tesla S in Auto-drive, doing 140-150 kph....and he and the passenger put their seats back and went to sleep. When the police tried to pull him over doing 140, with lights on, the other traffic pulled over and the Tesla had a clear lane, so accelerated to 150 kph. Sweet system, to drive the QEW solo and not crash and kill people.

I don't even know what to say about this one....other than how many 20 year olds from BC have a car that runs $100-140K new depending on options....oh, wait! Lots of them do actually. And probably the Tesla is a better driver than most of them. But seriously, have a nap at 150 kph??

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/cri...-d481093e3515/

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-17-2020, 03:11 PM

I can’t sleep in a vehicle with anybody else driving. Don’t feel comfortable enough. That goes for x10 with a robot driving.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:13 PM

A friend of mine recently bought a Subaru with many of those self-driving features - adaptive cruise control, auto lane control etc.

He was surprised how it affected his driving habits, especially on long drives. He found himself doing things he wouldn't normally do, like turning around to talk with passengers in the rear seat etc. It sneaks up on you.

I keep telling my kids that their kids won't even know what a steering wheel is, when they get to driving age.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:20 PM

Reminds me of the ol' joke:

"I hope I die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, and not like the passengers in his car, who were screaming when he crashed"
Old 09-17-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I can’t sleep in a vehicle with anybody else driving. Don’t feel comfortable enough. That goes for x10 with a robot driving.
Lol...me neither!
Old 09-17-2020, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Reminds me of the ol' joke:

"I hope I die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, and not like the passengers in his car, who were screaming when he crashed"
Old 09-17-2020, 09:26 PM

Well.. if there's a road that is perfectly designed for Tesla's autopilot, it's the qe2. Especially on a nice day.

I agree... These systems are making drivers dumber by the moment.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:41 PM

Hate to say it but the Tesla auto drive is probably better and safer than many drivers in the Calgary/Edmonton Area. For example I bet the Tesla gets out of the passing lane at some point. Sorry my bad couldn’t help myself, nonetheless throw the book at Em.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I can’t sleep in a vehicle with anybody else driving.
So you are like me, I get way more sleep when it's me behind the wheel !!!!
Old 09-17-2020, 10:01 PM

Does the car get the speeding ticket?
Old 09-18-2020, 10:59 AM

This idiot should lose his license for life. 150 KPH in 110 zone and no one at the wheel. As good as Tesla self drive is, Alberta Highways are not built with the necessary stuff for it to work safely completely unattended.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:19 PM

I didn't realize they were that far advanced, maybe a case of technology getting ahead of reality.

Grizz
Old 09-19-2020, 10:31 AM
Banned

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ving-1.5727828

https://www.tesladeaths.com/

12 claimed auto-pilot deaths above, 5 confirmed.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6363342/t...rashes-deaths/

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51645566

https://www.wired.com/story/teslas-l...e-prior-crash/

Predicted this, there's no way the programmers at tesla can program out all the possible variations of potential problems on the roads. This is infinite and requires alert drivers period. I understand there are quite a few deaths being recorded now.

Unsure how this sort of tech passed any sort of legislation to be allowed on our roads. Piloting 2.5 tons of death at rapid speed through narrow arteries in public spaces we all share is something that should only be done by alert qualified trained drivers period. Not computers. There's a lot less to worry about up in the air, barely any traffic, none of said traffic confined to narrow arteries, some clouds, some weather, maybe some birds, the variables are infinitely less up there than down here on the roads. It is impossible to program for all the variables you will encounter on one particular road through a full season of lighting and weather conditions on top of the random unforseens which also have infinite variability.

And people support this stuff? We really are doomed as we can't even seem to grasp any big picture realities anymore.

There are options for those who don't want to drive and take on the seriousness or liability of that. It's called lime scooter, uber, bus, train, limo service, etc. You buy a car you better be able to do your part to look after everyone else you share the road with also, pushing a button and having a nap...you should be charged with attempted murder, not just dangerous driving. Don't you dare put me and my family at risk like that. Have a coffee, get on point, and drive like your, and my, life depends on it...because it does.

Rant...just getting started probably

Another indefensible tech related thing, yet people do try to defend it, blows my mind.

Elon should maybe be going to jail? Or whoever passed any sort of nonsense that allowed this be apart of any road legal vehicle. We are all at risk of Tesla's...like we don't have enough to watch out for and worry about while piloting vehicles out there. Now we have to keep an eye peeled for tesla missiles just like we have to watch out for slow prius drivers in the left lane. It will be seriously ironic when a rogue computer piloted tesla obliterates an overly slow prius in the fast lane. Not sure why but something about that scenario is appealing.

Safety enhancement and tech to teach to to be a better driver would be if the car blows an airhorn and zaps you with electricity everytime you do something stupid like trying to take a nap, or merge too slowly, or swing into the wrong lane when you turn onto a street etc. You listening Elon? You dumb sumbich, seriously. You do not get behind the wheel of a 2-3 ton missile that becomes instantly deadly to human life as soon as it is in motion and proceed to have a nap. It's the dumbest thing i've ever heard of period.

For those that argue this tech is making drivers safer on the road...you have completely missed the big picture. I agree half the drivers should not be on the road, they didn't seem to pass the same driving tests i had to...but those are the ones we should simply take the license away from.

Those people can't wait to get a tesla with an easy button, heck you may as well throw the drivers license right in the glove box with every purchase. The less they have to do the better, then what's left of their half existent driving skills is eroded further and when called upon to take control of the vehicle in actual emergency and do some real 'driving' like their license suggests they are capable of...then even more fatalities will be coming, this is 100% guaranteed. This is basic human nature, how do we have oversights this large? Man, humans are so stupid.

Do not defend this tech as safer, it is absolutely indefensible. If tech was used to train the half azz drivers to be better then absolutely i could get behind it...but this tech is training drivers to be even more useless. And our families have to share roads with this? Like prius drivers aren't enough of a hot potato to watch out for? Please...

Can't even imagine the lawsuits coming, how and to whom they will assess liability. When you and and your car kills someone do you point the finger at the programmers from Tesla for liability? I'm sure that's what people will do, we don't like to take responsibility or liability for our own bull most of the time anyway. What a total nightmare. Any of us with common sense will know that the liability rests on us...so we would never ever touch that easy button. But that's not most of humanity, so the tech simply went the wrong way, the tech should train you to be better and safer, not allow you to lose what's left of the sad skills you already have.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-19-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:15 AM

Well Stinky Coyote....that was an epic rant, and a good one! I particularly liked the Prius Tesla scenario. And, I agree with you too, I don't see this tech making things a lot safer, and do see it as enabling the incompetent behind the wheel to get into even more serious trouble.

Like that kid with his first 4x4, seeing a mud hole he just KNOWS he can conquer. As opposed to understanding he has just been enabled to get way more stuck.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-19-2020, 12:18 PM
Banned

it's terrifying tech, the only way autonomous driving is a thing for everyone is if it's a company that puts a fleet of the vehicles out there, like uber...just remove the driver sort of thing, that way all the liability and insurance and skills are on the company, the customers don't even need drivers license, but asking humans to remain competent qualified drivers with semi-autonomous to autonomous easy buttons is exactly the wrong thing to do, how do we forget so easily what we are?

if tesla wants to help the world it should create the safety systems that trains you to be better drivers that actually ensure you earned your divers license and continue to qualify for having it

and thank you, not all hero's wear capes right
Old 09-19-2020, 02:07 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Take car and crush it....give Him community time cleaning ditches and loss of licence for 5 years.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2020, 02:23 PM

July 9. And it just makes the news this weekend? And a 20-year old with BC plates driving something with a $140,000 sticker price?

Something stinks here. I'd sure like to know the exact jurisdiction and docket number when this thing goes to court. Hopefully it's actually reported and not all redacted by the MSM in an attempt to blank out any 'rathisthm'.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:12 PM

the Auto drive system should be named Darwin ...
Old 09-19-2020, 08:33 PM

I damn near spit out my ice cream when I read the line a few posts up...."We are all at risk of Tesla's". People should read up on what the "auto pilot" actually is and how it works before jumping to conclusions.

First of all Tesla's are not really self driving cars yet. That is still a few years away. What the car was in is called "auto pilot" which is essentially maintain speed and your lane as well as a host of other things. The driver is supposed to at ALL TIMES be paying attention and monitoring the car and be ready to take over at any time. If the Tesla crashes into another car in auto pilot it is still the driver that let that happen and the driver should of intervened. Another analogy is obviously a modern plane. The pilot generally takes off and lands but the rest of the time the plane is on auto pilot. The task of actually flying the plane is better left to a computer while the pilot monitors, ready to step in if needed.

Also in all honesty people over estimate their skill as a drivers. George Carlin had the quote that summed it up pretty good......"Have you ever noticed everyone driving slower than you is an idiot and everyone driving faster than you is a maniac". I can guarantee you that if you took the QE2 on a clear day and replaced every car with a Tesla on autopilot the rate of collisions and accidents would drop dramatically. A Tesla on autopilot with a driver paying attention will be much safer than the countless texters, sleep deprived, day dreamers, Sally doing her makeup, or Bob eating is super jumbo donair while steering with his knees that populate our highways.

Fully autonomous driving is not here yet so don't get to worked up over it. And when it does get here I am willing to bet it will be much safer than your average driver. And obviously given our climate and changing road condition we will still be driving our cars manually for a long time to come.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:16 PM
Banned

Funny how two people say the same thing differently lol.

All those people you just mentioned should have safety features that stimulate them to be on point as the seriousness of the task at hand warrants. Not allow them to have a nap because the poor baby is tired from a night of partying, or wants to watch a movie, or wants to text all the way to Edmonton. So I’m glad you agree that is what human beings are whenever possible. What you’re failing to see is that they can’t be asked to then snap out of it and handle a real driving situation with competence.

Most people that want to do other things while they travel pay for someone else to do it. Airlines, trains, uber, taxi, limo. So you have completely missed the boat

I’m all for a fleet of uber owned self driving Tesla’s on the qe2 getting people to and from work etc. But like on a train or in the back of the taxi or seat of a plane to be able to all of a sudden take control of the vehicle or plane for arrivals to r emergencies etc. It’s so silly, that those defending it like you Dynamic, simply cannot see the obvious. Common-sense is truly becoming a rarity. So...build a high speed train to Edmonton, or get your app(no driver’s license required) to the fleet of self driving ubers and sit back and enjoy the ride. It is almost laughable how people cannot see this and will try and defend these ‘safety features’ of a Tesla. What an absolute joke.

Air horn, cattle prod, retinal scans, breathalyzer, pulse checker, rem sleep alarm...lmao, these are the safety features Tesla should be using to ensure drivers don’t get too relaxed and off point while piloting a couple tons of death at high speed. While they are at it they can have the car zap your azz every time you treat a merge like a yield, and every time you swing into the wrong lane from a turn.

You see how 180 wrong your logic is Dynamic? Don’t wanna drive, can’t drive responsibly...then whip your app out and use one of the five other safer options available to you. You what to watch a movie on the way to Edmonton while behind the wheel? You should be charged with a lot more than dangerous driving.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:26 PM

Default Give your head a shake!

Tesla's autodrive system from factory does not allow you to sleep. You have to keep a hand on the steering wheel or periodically tap it. Give your head a shake if you think Tesla put out a car that would allow you to sleep while driving. A friend has a Tesla and he showed me. You don't have to do much but I think it was a few seconds of no hands on the wheel and it was beeping, ignore the beeping and the car would slowdown and stop.

That being said, as soon as a product is available people modify it. It is possible (and probably illegal) that the car's Autodrive was aftermarket modified so that driver input was not required.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:48 AM

It seems to this dirty old man that they likely were not "sleeping".
Old 09-21-2020, 09:19 AM

Remember when cruise control came out? There was a story (urban legend?) that circulated back then about the old guy who set the cruise control on his RV and went back to the kitchen to make a coffee...
Old 09-21-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Funny how two people say the same thing differently lol.

All those people you just mentioned should have safety features that stimulate them to be on point as the seriousness of the task at hand warrants. Not allow them to have a nap because the poor baby is tired from a night of partying, or wants to watch a movie, or wants to text all the way to Edmonton. So I’m glad you agree that is what human beings are whenever possible. What you’re failing to see is that they can’t be asked to then snap out of it and handle a real driving situation with competence.

Most people that want to do other things while they travel pay for someone else to do it. Airlines, trains, uber, taxi, limo. So you have completely missed the boat

I’m all for a fleet of uber owned self driving Tesla’s on the qe2 getting people to and from work etc. But like on a train or in the back of the taxi or seat of a plane to be able to all of a sudden take control of the vehicle or plane for arrivals to r emergencies etc. It’s so silly, that those defending it like you Dynamic, simply cannot see the obvious. Common-sense is truly becoming a rarity. So...build a high speed train to Edmonton, or get your app(no driver’s license required) to the fleet of self driving ubers and sit back and enjoy the ride. It is almost laughable how people cannot see this and will try and defend these ‘safety features’ of a Tesla. What an absolute joke.

Air horn, cattle prod, retinal scans, breathalyzer, pulse checker, rem sleep alarm...lmao, these are the safety features Tesla should be using to ensure drivers don’t get too relaxed and off point while piloting a couple tons of death at high speed. While they are at it they can have the car zap your azz every time you treat a merge like a yield, and every time you swing into the wrong lane from a turn.

You see how 180 wrong your logic is Dynamic? Don’t wanna drive, can’t drive responsibly...then whip your app out and use one of the five other safer options available to you. You what to watch a movie on the way to Edmonton while behind the wheel? You should be charged with a lot more than dangerous driving.
I'm reading your response and I pretty much agree with you. First things first go on Youtube or google and learn how the Tesla autopilot works. I think your under the impression that it actually drives the car without any human interaction. You are supposed to have your hands on the wheel at predetermined intervals to show you are attentive and ready to take over or the auto drive will be disabled. That being said there are work arounds apparently. What happened on the QE2 was not supposed to happen and was against the law, no different than someone passing on a solid yellow or any other traffic violation. How much you wanna bet the driver of this Tesla is reckless and drives in a manner than endangers others while driving a car without auto pilot?

I agree with you, if your not paying attention and ready to take over you should not be driving a Tesla and IMO your probably a crap driver with a conventional car as well. Don't worry I am on your side, I agree when you are in the drivers seat you and ONLY you are responsible for the 5000 pounds of steel your are in. Auto pilot or no auto pilot. Most people will use it responsibly, a small minority will use the technology irresponsibly. Overall IMO it is for the better and safer but there will be a uneasy period in time like now where the tech is fairy new and unfamiliar to most. Fully autonomous driving is a entirely different beast for a different thread.