Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 06:47 PM

Another brand to check out is Pieroway. Built in Calgary and are very good. Used mine alot this summer and love it. Worth the time to check them out.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:19 PM

I like double tapers, when one end wears out, turn it around and you have a pretty much new fly line again.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:57 PM

sage for the win...
Old 08-17-2020, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
sage for the win...
"Winston Green" takes a back seat to nobody.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:38 PM

Default Rod

If you google Yellowstone angler 6 weight shootout it will give you test results on a bunch of rods, the Fennwick Aitos usually rates very high for a low cost rod.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBaseball View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't buy a rod based on how quickly you can get repair work done. Take your reel/line with you and test cast several types of rods in your price range.
Right? I've had one rod break in 25 years (Orvis, took awhile but ther store gave me a loaner). I'm way more concerned with how it casts.

I also am leery of just saying a brand. Sage, Orvis, et al, have all put out clunkers amongst their usually good rods.

Lastly, few things are more personal than your cast. Maybe a bamboo or fiberglass noodle would be best. Or maybe a stiff fast graphite. Something in between might be right.

Then it depends on where and how you primarily fish. If Bow is your usual stomping grounds and you tend to nymph, well thats a different set of parameters than presenting tiny dries on Raven or Dogpound.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post
Right? I've had one rod break in 25 years (Orvis, took awhile but ther store gave me a loaner). I'm way more concerned with how it casts.

I also am leery of just saying a brand. Sage, Orvis, et al, have all put out clunkers amongst their usually good rods.

Lastly, few things are more personal than your cast. Maybe a bamboo or fiberglass noodle would be best. Or maybe a stiff fast graphite. Something in between might be right.

Then it depends on where and how you primarily fish. If Bow is your usual stomping grounds and you tend to nymph, well thats a different set of parameters than presenting tiny dries on Raven or Dogpound.
Good points there. I’m sure I will find a good stick. I fly fish mostly small streams and rivers around rocky and Nordegg. I also know many lakes and streams in the okanagan area. So most of my trout are small so a 5 or 6 wt is all I need. Thanks for everyone’s input. Great info
Old 08-17-2020, 10:26 PM
Banned

"So most of my trout are small so a 5 or 6 wt is all I need."

Then you would be better off with a 4 or 5 wt.
Catching 6-8" trout isn't much fun on a 6wt.
Better yet, a shorter 3wt. and a 5wt.
Hmmmm... if only one rod, probably a 9 foot 5wt.

Eventually, you'll fill your quiver with a multitude of rods of several weights and multiples of each. Hahahahaha! What fun! Enjoy the journey.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
"So most of my trout are small so a 5 or 6 wt is all I need."

Then you would be better off with a 4 or 5 wt.
Catching 6-8" trout isn't much fun on a 6wt.
Better yet, a shorter 3wt. and a 5wt.
Hmmmm... if only one rod, probably a 9 foot 5wt.

Eventually, you'll fill your quiver with a multitude of rods of several weights and multiples of each. Hahahahaha! What fun! Enjoy the journey.
I also believe your ideal rod for this application would be a 4 wt, that’s just my opinion, and I’ve found for all the smaller streams my 4 wt rods have been able to handle 20”+ rainbows, to 26” bull trout, with the flexibility to set the hooks nicely in the smaller fish, such as Rockies and Shunda brookies, however 5wt is great for your one stop shop!
Old 08-18-2020, 07:19 AM

I own a a couple of TFO's; I can't comment on the G-Loomis, St. Croix, Sage, Hardy etc.
I can speak to the older 2 piece rods St Croix, Fenwick Redington, when I started out. I will say the 2 piece rods are nice if you have the room to pack them around, and they fish just fine.

I bought one (4 piece) at TFO and the other on Kijiji, that Kijiji deal was amazing. So what I am saying is, there are a number of used TFO's around at great prices, and TFO will tell you that, you don't need the original receipt if you need a repair.

When I bought my TFO at the shop; they allowed me to cast inside the warehouse just to test it out.

TFO all the way for me.
Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 08-18-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I own a a couple of TFO's; I can't comment on the G-Loomis, St. Croix, Sage, Hardy etc.
I can speak to the older 2 piece rods St Croix, Fenwick Redington, when I started out. I will say the 2 piece rods are nice if you have the room to pack them around, and they fish just fine.

I bought one (4 piece) at TFO and the other on Kijiji, that Kijiji deal was amazing. So what I am saying is, there are a number of used TFO's around at great prices, and TFO will tell you that, you don't need the original receipt if you need a repair.

When I bought my TFO at the shop; they allowed me to cast inside the warehouse just to test it out.

TFO all the way for me.
Good luck,
I don’t mind a two piece either, easier to keep things aligned, and the tube can dub as a walking stick!
Old 08-22-2020, 06:57 PM

Can't go wrong with a tfo
Old 08-22-2020, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post

TFO all the way for me.
Good luck,
I wonder why that is.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:02 AM

Quote:
I wonder why that is.
Lots of used Sage, G Loomis, etc. for sale too. What point are you trying to make?
Old 08-23-2020, 05:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Lots of used Sage, G Loomis, etc. for sale too. What point are you trying to make?
True enough.
I often wonder why some people buy a high end fly rod and sell it a month or two later.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
True enough.
I often wonder why some people buy a high end fly rod and sell it a month or two later.
Because it’s no better then their 200.00 Aetos.

BW
Old 08-23-2020, 08:41 AM

Good feedback guys. Thanks to everyone. Wednesday I’ll be at TFH and will drive them crazy. Probably be in there 2 hours. Always good to chat with Robert and I won’t leave till I have a rod that feels good. Thursday will be at Hummingbird and the Ram to try out my new stick.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:03 AM

Default Rod

The Aeitos, is a great Rod, I have one in a 6 wt. . The only downfall like most other rods is if you need warranty, it probably going to be gone the rest of your season. Where as with TFO, even if you have to mail it in, it shouldn’t be more that a week or 2, and it’s $30 if you need a new section.
They have a lot of rods to fit every price range, my reccomdation if it fits your budget, would be eithe the BVK, or the Impact. They are also releasing a few new rods in sept. Or oct..
Cast a few and see what you like
Old 08-23-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Good feedback guys. Thanks to everyone. Wednesday I’ll be at TFH and will drive them crazy. Probably be in there 2 hours. Always good to chat with Robert and I won’t leave till I have a rod that feels good. Thursday will be at Hummingbird and the Ram to try out my new stick.
Rob will definitely not steer you in the wrong direction, I’ve bought a couple from him, and they’ve been great! Enjoy your shop! I would say good l@#k, but you know how it is!
Old 08-23-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
2 hours??? Sheesh, it takes less time to buy a $50k vehicle. Please let everyone know what time you're going so we don't have to wait while you make up your mind.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
2 hours??? Sheesh, it takes less time to buy a $50k vehicle. Please let everyone know what time you're going so we don't have to wait while you make up your mind.
Won't happen. With Covid restrictions, they can only allow 6 customers (I think) in the store at a time.
There will be a line-up outside the store.
They will try and get you in and out ASAP.

At least, that's how it was a month ago.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Really. Are you kidding me Just for you I will spend the morning there lol. I’ll take in my favorite lawn chair and chill out for many hours.

Last edited by Jigsalot; 08-23-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Won't happen. With Covid restrictions, they can only allow 6 customers (I think) in the store at a time.
There will be a line-up outside the store.
They will try and get you in and out ASAP.

At least, that's how it was a month ago.
If there is a line up I will keep driving. I will never stand in line for anything. Not worth it but I will stay inside just for the fly guy for hours.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
If there is a line up I will keep driving. I will never stand in line for anything. Not worth it but I will stay inside just for the fly guy for hours.
Ever been to Costco? Or a professional sporting event?
Old 08-24-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
That's OK. While you're hanging around the TFO rack for hours I'll be in and out with a new 10 ft 6 wt for the big ones.