Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2020, 07:35 PM

Hamburger helper.

Holy hell I hate that chit.

I called it welfare supper.

We ate pretty much like farmers for the most part; beef pork chicken and the odd fish.

Wife liked spam and cherry yogurt

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-08-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Your mention of chicory gave me 1970's flashbacks of carob being used as a substitute for chocolate, what kind of monster would give a child carob?
Trying to remember the name of the chickory based instant coffee sold here decades ago. Actually wasn't bad, think it was an attempt to beat coffee prices, which were sky high at the time. You can buy carob at bulk food outlets, some people believe it's healthier than chocolate.

Grizz
Old 09-08-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Toast with peanut butter, tomato slices and pepper. I still enjoy it to this day.

Colin
My favorite way to eat a garden tomato.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Your mention of chicory gave me 1970's flashbacks of carob being used as a substitute for chocolate, what kind of monster would give a child carob?
Looked up carob, don't remember what it was. Maybe i was too young to have carob flashbacks in 70s. Only flashbacks from that time i have are Mama's titties and maybe semolina

Edited: LoL, i thought you were someone else. Definitely different places at the time, no wonder i don't remember carob.
My flashbacks are safe, thought i was having senior moment
Old 09-08-2020, 09:52 PM

Default Strange foods

This thread jogs my memory, I’m not sure why I’m sharing this, but I remember my Mom eating sandwiches with sliced onion / sliced mandarin oranges in it?! Lol, sounds to messed up for me to replicate?!
Old 09-08-2020, 10:48 PM
Banned

One of my favorite dishes from youth that i make to this day is letcho(sataras, djuvech) a hungarian pepper stir fry with onions, tomatoes, garlic and a side of smoked pork back fat, yum.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Hamburger helper.

I don't know why they call it hamburger helper, it does just fine by it's self.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:04 AM

Slow cooked pork in cream of mushroom soup with onions and mushrooms served over rice
Old 09-09-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Blutwurst, nein, danke. We still regard rouladen as the go to family gathering meal.

Grizz
Rouladen. I have repeatedly told my wife that my electric chair meal is my mom's Rouladen with boiled potatoes and gravy.
Mom always makes this at Christmas. I can't wait.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:27 AM

Here's the opposite side of the coin ……..

My parents immigrated here from Europe with two of us kids in tow. Worked hard and never saw the inside of a sit down restaurant for years …..

Finally a neighbor asked my parents out to dinner at White Spot (which was a big deal) when I was a kid. White Spot was a fancy restaurant in the day !!!!

Meals came and the vegetable on everyone's plate was corn. My parents were shocked and looked at the corn with confusion. My dad said "they are feeding us like pigs" - how can they put a steak (the very best food) on the same plate a something (in Europe at least) that is not for for human consumption (and used almost exclusively to feed livestock).

Still laugh about it to this day.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
My Mother use to make a dish she called Slumgullion. It was ground beef or moose hamburger, onion soup mix, diced onions, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes with a sprinkling of cheese on top and served with cream corn and mashed potatoes. Loved it!! Still make it today!
I vaguely remember the name, but for the life of me I can't remember what made up our version of this dish. Hmm......
Old 09-09-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
In Winnipeg we had Milk Delivery back in the day. Occasionally we would rush home to find Beep in the pass through.
Score!!!
Holy crap! I remember having a glass of that before school. Now I really feel old, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I could go for some rouladen for dinner tonight. Anyone have a good recipe?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-09-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Holy crap! I remember having a glass of that before school. Now I really feel old, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I could go for some rouladen for dinner tonight. Anyone have a good recipe?
I was big into eating a bowl of Lucky Charms for breakfast and I used to splash Beep into the bowl with the Cereal and Milk
Old 09-09-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I was big into eating a bowl of Lucky Charms for breakfast and I used to splash Beep into the bowl with the Cereal and Milk
Then I tried Beep and Milk over Trix and never looked back. Tasted kind of like a
Crunchy Creamsicle
Old 09-09-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Trying to remember the name of the chickory based instant coffee sold here decades ago. Actually wasn't bad, think it was an attempt to beat coffee prices, which were sky high at the time. You can buy carob at bulk food outlets, some people believe it's healthier than chocolate.

Grizz
Was it Sanka? Or maybe Postum?

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-09-2020, 09:56 AM

Mennonite background, so a lot of our different foods come from that farming background.

Kielke - homemade noodles with a cream gravy, usually made with the drippings from mennonite sausage.

Rollkuchen - served with Roger's Golden Syrup and watermelon. Honey could be substituted for Roger's in a pinch.

Plumamouse - Basically a cold soup made with dried fruit (peaches, pears, apricots, raisins, plums). When I was a kid I actually though that the plums were mice, thus the mouse in Plum-a-mouse.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-09-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Was it Sanka? Or maybe Postum?

I think the one you're thinking of is Inka? I remember drinking it as a kid.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Hamburger helper.

We ate pretty much like farmers for the most part; beef pork chicken and the odd fish.

In the mid 90's I went back to school so I could get into computers. I was on student loans and as a single parent, I didn't have a lot of extra $$$ so ate a lot of ground beef. My kid loved hamburger helper so it was usually on the menu once a week. I was never a fan but it was cheap and he had two flavors he was crazy for.

After getting remarried in 2002 my wife, who's an excellent cook btw, refused to make hamburger helper so it hasn't been on the menu since. I had to laugh cause she put her foot down hard on that stuff and my son almost cried. Later she asked me if it was ok that she said that and I laughed so hard I nearly cried and thanked her profusely for doing that.........I hadn't had the heart to tell my son no on that one.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 09-10-2020, 03:06 PM

Default Potato Pancakes

potatoes,flour,water, salt, make a dough then cut and roll thin to pancake size and fry in fry pan and brush with margarine. fill them with sugar and cinnamon, peanut butter, etc! Still have them today!
Old 09-10-2020, 03:59 PM

I used to make bannock

And ruffed grouse in apple sauce and take that to school

Sometimes we had headcheese

Most of the stuff we ate I havent ate since because, in reality, its crap

No microwaves, no fridges, its a wonder we didnt get food poisoning.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
4. I believe one of the names for that dish is spik (shpik, or, apparently, fatback). Traditional western Slavic dish (Ukraine, Belarus, maybe some others). Cured pork fat, no meat, or, literally, a sliver of it in the slab of fat. Run it through the meat grinder, mix with salt, pepper, maybe other spices, and bunch of garlic, and run through the grinder again. After that just spread it over a piece of rye toast.
There are a few variations of that throughout Europe.

in Germany it's Shinkenspec - salt cured and smoked usually made from pork tenderloin.

in Northern Italy and Croatia - Spec (pronounced Shpek) - smoked bacon also salt cured - very similar to smoked purscuito in taste but this is cut from the belly and true bacon.

I prefer the smoked dry cured hams - Spanish, or Croation full salt dry cured, smoked hams - unbelievable rich silk meat, nice smokey flavor and salty. Cut thin, it melts in your mouth ..... even the fancy wine/cheese people and their charcuterie boards like it These come from truffle and acorn raised pigs and take 20-30 months to properly cure ...... worth the wait !!! (see second link)

The common Italian version of purscuito is not smoked and can be gamey. A nice smoke really turns a nice piece of ham into a delicacy.

https://eurostylesmallgoods.com.au/p...-smoked-speck/

https://www.croatiatravelco.com/croa...ourite-things/

Last edited by EZM; 09-10-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:43 PM

Growing up Mom made a lot of perogies. My favorite part was when she would boil and fry up the left over pieces of dough. When I had kids we took this to the next level. Every stormy wintery Sat. the boys and I would make a big batch of dough role it out, cut it up, boil and then fry it. The boys loved that stuff, I was amazed at how much of that they could eat. Of course this was not wife approved as there is nothing but carbs there, but the boys and I still reminisce about those fun Saturdays.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-10-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Growing up Mom made a lot of perogies. My favorite part was when she would boil and fry up the left over pieces of dough. When I had kids we took this to the next level. Every stormy wintery Sat. the boys and I would make a big batch of dough role it out, cut it up, boil and then fry it. The boys loved that stuff, I was amazed at how much of that they could eat. Of course this was not wife approved as there is nothing but carbs there, but the boys and I still reminisce about those fun Saturdays.

Not sure if it’s a correct name or not but we called that nip. Still do it to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2020, 07:25 PM

Our neighbourhood butcher used to give pig hocks to my Mom. We didn't know whether to call them 'ham', 'pork' or 'hocks', so in our house, that meal was known as 'Hork'. Mom didn't like that name, but we've used it ever since.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:34 PM

Before the there was Neocitran my Mom used to make us a homemade version using Watkins liniment. She would put some of that in with hot water and honey and have us drink it when we had a cold or flu.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:53 PM

Some posts bring back memories.

Mom was a typical ukrainian mother producing perogies by the hundreds and holupchi, cabbage rolls, a dozen casserole trays at a time. All the traditional foods year round. The wild low bush blueberry perogies were the ultimate treat exclusive to home.

Mother used to make a heavy dough and cut it into very thick noodles. Boiled in salt water and served with fresh 'from the cow' warm milk. Simple but so memorable.

Mom had the ability to go to her garden, pick a bit, and within 30 minutes she would make the best summer borscht. She only used the beet tops, and young veggies in this borchst and used shredded rhubarb for the sour tartness. Then fresh heavy cream, separated the night before, mixed into the borscht.

Both of these meals were totally home grown including the vegetables, the milk & heavy cream plus the flour for the dough.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-10-2020, 11:35 PM

Used to always have Marmite in the cupboard as a kid. Mother was typical Brit and would put it into almost everything, though i think its meant as a spread on toast etc.
Hated the stuff back then and still do today.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

Mom had the ability to go to her garden, pick a bit, and within 30 minutes she would make the best summer borscht. She only used the beet tops, and young veggies in this borchst and used shredded rhubarb for the sour tartness. Then fresh heavy cream, separated the night before, mixed into the borscht.
Things sure are different now days in most households. I can relate to this.

Growing up we always had a garden. The grocery store rarely saw a dime from us for produce (except the occasional fruit or veg off season). We grew and ate what we grew.

Most of our meat came from the farm direct, where we slaughtered our own, or from the fall hunting season. There were many years 95%+ of our red meat was venison. We bought very little beef.

Cabbage was made into Sauerkraut and used all winter. Potatoes, Carrots, Beets, Onions, Garlic, Beans, Tomatoes, Lettuce, etc.. all of it was fresh out of the garden and what could be kept in the cold room, pickled, or preserved was.

There really is nothing like Mom going into the garden, picking a few vegetables and making a stew, soup or main meal for us. To this day I have never had fresher or something as good home made like that.

We smoked out hams, made sausage, butchered our own meat, pickled, preserved, made wine and even made moonshine.

Things sure are different.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Hamburger helper.

huh hate hamburger helper...dam....still luv that but do it with ground turkey meat....we use to scarf that crap down like no tomorrow...KD too....toss in a pizza pop to tie you over until supper....this of course was when raising kids...back in the day lots of fish, venision, game birds....potatoes....carrots....home made jam....French fries and gravy was a treat....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-11-2020, 12:29 PM

Hamburger helper ugh!
Many years ago the day before payday my roommate and I made up a box with potatoes instead of burger it was worse than awful to this day the sight of the box makes me queasy.