Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 06:02 PM

Default Moose and Fish at Leland Lake Sept. 2020?

Anybody have intel to share on what to expect? Flying in on the 22nd to the North Leland outpost camp. They tell us it hasn't been hunted in 8 years so just curious if anyone has spent time or even heard how moose activity has been in that area in the last couple seasons.
Also any idea how the fishing will be this time of year?

Thanks
Jim
Old 09-17-2020, 08:06 PM

Should be a good trip. I’ve been in the general area that time of the year. Troll for fish and call for moose. A few extra large bears in the area.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:09 PM

Ok thanks. Seen some talk about the average Andrew Lake moose getting smaller in the last while but they definitely used to get some nice ones there.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:28 PM

Default Trip Report

So we flew in with Dan W. himself and had two days of gorgeous weather, maybe a touch warm for moose but very enjoyable on the water. Caught a couple small lakers casting spoons, plus a nice 16 lb pike. Turns out those would be the best fish of the trip, after that it was just unlimited pike under 3 lbs.
As for moose, I was the only one of our group of 6 hunters who saw one. It was definitely a bull, about 800m away across a bay just traveling along the shoreline. Saw him for about 5 seconds through my scope and when I got closer and spent the rest of the day calling he never showed. That was it. Very limited sign wherever we looked on the shore. There are moose around but very few and far between from what we saw. Had quite a few calm evenings and mornings where our calls echoed perfectly across the lake and off the rocks, but never heard a thing.
On Saturday my dad and I saw a muskox. He swam from an island across a channel 50 yards wide and climbed a hill where we got a grainy but useful picture through binoculars. Pretty cool to see that, definitely the high point of my trip although it was a little disappointing when I realized it wasn't a moose.
Sorry don't have time to post more and better pics but I'm packing for an elk trip right now.
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...4&d=1601414751